Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 17, 2017, 1:52 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #76

Thanks!

Those are the Vader ESB pics I'm using. Same photoshoot.

The obi-parts are great, I'll replace some of the ones I was using with these.

The Obi-Wan screengrabs are great too-- I'm actually using them already.

I'm confused though about what details need to change in the book with the Obi-Wan saber. Should I just include mention of the cone knob on the hero?
  2. RPF Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2017, 1:58 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #77

SethS said: View Post
    Agree on the V3 getting painted later-- that makes sense. But since the Yuma and ISYHCANL were scratch made they would have likely just been aluminum. Not sure if you are saying you think they are actual aged brass, or just painted that way to match the V2/V3?

I'm going by bad photos and slothfurnace's repro. Do you have pic that shows the blue? I've never seen that. Happy to change and put the actual pic in there if you have it.

I didn't know that was the origin! Hadn't seen that before. Thank you!
    The rails on the ISYHCANL saber could indeed be actual 1/8" brass bar stock, as is readily available. The yellow doesn't look bright/polished. It looks more like it has been aged to match the patina that the Obi hero would have on its brass grenade. The brass color of the Hero control box rails and neck wasn't done in a attempt to match the V2. Else they would have used silver on the control box to match the Graflex clamp side bars, and dark bronze on the neck to match the V2s original ANH paint job. It looks like they instead referenced the Obi hero when deciding to make the neck brass, and just came up with something entirely new by adding a matching color to the control box rails on the Hero.

Here's a better shot of the ISYHCANL hero, which I believe @Sym-Cha posted originally. It shows the unmistakable brass (not copper) color seen on screen AND it shows the blue PCB.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LukeISYHCANL.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	699009

Then there are these pics of the MOM Luke ROTJ hero that clearly show the blue PCB:

Name:	BluePCB2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	699011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BluePCB3.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	699012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BluePCB4.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	699013

The above are all Sym-Cha's photos. Note: I have no idea why the control box rails look closer to copper on the saber as it exists now, as compared to the brass seen on screen. They could have been repainted at some point during/after production.

Here's what @kurtyboy said about the cone knob used on the V2:

kurtyboy said: View Post
    Yep. Top plate nuts. Transcriptors are now selling modern machined replacements on their website. Think they're listed as motor cover nuts.

The unknurled version was used on C3P0's chest.
    Note: Transcriptors, based in the UK, no longer sell these nuts. But even if they did, it was a revised design with a slightly enlarged knurling pattern.
    Last edited by Spyhunter2k; Jan 17, 2017 at 2:17 PM.
  3. RPF Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2017, 2:13 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #78

Correction. With some quick Googling, the company has been sold and the new owners now list the nuts on their parts page, bottom left:

http://www.transcriptorslimited.com/shop/

I believe you have to buy a set screw and insert it into these nuts, and then into the hole in the V2. Again, though, the modern knurling pattern on these is slightly different to what it was in the 80's. But if you want to be able to say your V2 has one of only a few "found" parts, it's an option.

It looks like they come in packages of 3. I just ordered a pack myself and will list the other two in the JY when they arrive.
    Jan 17, 2017, 2:16 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #79

I'm confused though about what details need to change in the book with the Obi-Wan saber. Should I just include mention of the cone knob on the hero?
    I think he is talking about the cone shaped part inside the emitter. As far as I know it has never been identified.
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Jan 17, 2017, 2:39 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #80

I wasn't sure if that story was confirmed, or general consensus. If we've accepted it as gospel I'll throw it in! The paint doesn't look worn down, every inch looks like it was intentionally scraped off.
    There are photos of the production which corroborate this.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 17, 2017, 2:48 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #81

Awesome-- thanks guys!

I'm compiling this all for the next draft! I appreciate it!
    From
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Jan 17, 2017, 2:56 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #82

Wow, outstanding work!!!
    From
    UK
    Jan 17, 2017, 2:57 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #83

The knurling on the vintage ones also varied as did the overall dimensions as they were all hand machined back then. I have a bunch of original Transcriptors parts and no two are exactly alike.

Spyhunter2k said: View Post
    Correction. With some quick Googling, the company has been sold and the new owners now list the nuts on their parts page, bottom left:

http://www.transcriptorslimited.com/shop/

I believe you have to buy a set screw and insert it into these nuts, and then into the hole in the V2. Again, though, the modern knurling pattern on these is slightly different to what it was in the 80's. But if you want to be able to say your V2 has one of only a few "found" parts, it's an option.

It looks like they come in packages of 3. I just ordered a pack myself and will list the other two in the JY when they arrive.
    Jan 17, 2017, 3:07 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #84

Seth, your book says that the V2 grenade rings are even. Sundowner is saying in the V2 thread that they are uneven. Which is right?
  10. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jan 17, 2017, 3:17 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #85

AWESOME JOB SETH!

My constructive criticism would be to ask you to remove the hyphenated word paragraphing format (I've never found it easy to read books when they're printed that way). And to show the full length of the saber in the photo of Luke, Obi-wan, and George Lucas on Page 9. It would be nice to see all of it for comparison to the Hamill vs Price photo on Page 49. I'm putzing around with measuring those two photos and this one from Sym-Cha's Photobucket today to get an overall idea of how long lightsaber blades are...

Name:	1016460_794866540552520_8434333094618032355_n_zpsfc05c480.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	699037

Looking forward to thoroughly reading through your e-book later!
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 17, 2017, 3:57 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #86

This IS the eBook

I get you on the hyphens... but my OCD reaaaaally likes clean boxes....
  12. RPF Premium Member razorsharp192's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jan 17, 2017, 5:13 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #87

great work!
  13. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jan 17, 2017, 6:28 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #88

This IS the eBook
    And I probably shouldn't be reading IT right now either!

You can still have clean boxes if the program allows you to use justified alignment or full justification! O.C.D. + readability = YIPPEE!!!
    From
    Toronto
    Jan 17, 2017, 6:54 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #89

Wonderful resource SethS - thank you so much!!
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 17, 2017, 7:24 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #90

cjchiu said: View Post
    Seth, your book says that the V2 grenade rings are even. Sundowner is saying in the V2 thread that they are uneven. Which is right?
    A few people pointed this out so I corrected it. I was staring at MY V2 fro AS and those are even and I didn't think straight. It would seem, and the new pics agree, that both sabers have uneven rings-- but the V2s uneven-ness is more subdued. I'm seeing 2 maybe 3 sections as different sized, but they are slight. The V3/SS is all over the place and you can easily see it.
  16. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Jan 17, 2017, 7:52 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #91

Oop, my bad. Post deleted.
    Last edited by PoopaPapaPalps; Jan 17, 2017 at 8:02 PM.
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Jan 17, 2017, 9:34 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #92

nice editions everyone! The turntable for the cone knob is a Michell Transcriptor turntable, and you can see one in a clockwork orange. I read somewhere the studio was down the street from the factory and they stopped over for a supply of spare parts to use as greeblies. This is also the source for those discs on the imperial hats/belts and the discs on the Merr Sonn, Greedo blaster, and possibly the circle on Han's ANH blaster (a greeblie that fell off, taking the paint with it)
    From
    Orlando
    Jan 18, 2017, 1:49 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #93

A few people pointed this out so I corrected it. I was staring at MY V2 fro AS and those are even and I didn't think straight. It would seem, and the new pics agree, that both sabers have uneven rings-- but the V2s uneven-ness is more subdued. I'm seeing 2 maybe 3 sections as different sized, but they are slight. The V3/SS is all over the place and you can easily see it.
    I believe it was mentioned that the rings are even but the black areas in between are not.

Btw, again, amazing book.

Are you planning on updating as more ideas come to mind?
  19. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jan 18, 2017, 4:12 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #94

There are at least two obiwan:
    -the tunisia version, missing endcap on pommel and reversed grenade, the first ring of the grenade looks straight and very short, it is possible the grenade to be reversed, as romans suggested.
    -We don't see clearly the other photos of the grenade on the emitter cone saber, so it can be possible to be the same saber, or another one.
    -The second (or third?) is black in the emitter, I think it's the one we can see on black and white pictures, also visible in obis hands , the conical shape of the grenade frist ring is easy to see, and no cone in the emitter.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 18, 2017, 12:51 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #95

DARTH SABER said: View Post
    I believe it was mentioned that the rings are even but the black areas in between are not.
    Are you planning on updating as more ideas come to mind?
    Yes-- sorry. I've been using "rings" to define a space plus a ring together. I'll make that more clear.

And yes-- like I said, it's organic. I plan to updated it every few weeks as I have time so I don't fall into a partsofsw trap. I've already got a healthy list of corrections. If I did them as they came in I'd drive Roy insane with a new file every day. I'll bank up the corrections and hit them at once.

parfaitelumiere said: View Post
    There are at least two obiwan:
    -the tunisia version, missing endcap on pommel and reversed grenade, the first ring of the grenade looks straight and very short, it is possible the grenade to be reversed, as romans suggested.
    Are there pics to support these? Like I said repeatedly, props are always made in multiples, so it would certainly make sense.

parfaitelumiere said: View Post
    -The second (or third?) is black in the emitter, I think it's the one we can see on black and white pictures, also visible in obis hands , the conical shape of the grenade frist ring is easy to see, and no cone in the emitter.
    Good catch!
    From
    Richmond, Virginia
    Jan 18, 2017, 2:34 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #96

Sooo...

Not Found

The requested URL /nerdery/SW_Lightsaber_Guide.1.14.17.pdf was not found on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 18, 2017, 3:21 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #97

You're getting an error for the firstlink, which is different than the one you quoted. Once it went live it moved over to wannawanga.com

refresh the link in my first post, or just go to wannawanga and click on it there.
    From
    Richmond, Virginia
    Jan 18, 2017, 3:38 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #98

You're getting an error for the firstlink, which is different than the one you quoted. Once it went live it moved over to wannawanga.com

refresh the link in my first post, or just go to wannawanga and click on it there.
    Looks like it didn't update the hyperlink with the address (I assume) because when I click http://wannawanga.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/SW_Lightsaber_Guide.1.16.17.pdf on your original post I still get sent to the first link.

Really odd, but I have it and I am going to kill the last bit of my shift reading it!

Thanks.
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 18, 2017, 3:53 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #99

D48thRonin said: View Post
    That's old news... it was first revealed in 2015:

https://youtu.be/RcRm_Ji05PA

AFAIK, Brandon hasn't said how/when/from whom he acquired it.
    Or how many houses he had to sell to afford it!
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 18, 2017, 6:16 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #100

Web Head said: View Post
    Sooo...

Not Found

The requested URL /nerdery/SW_Lightsaber_Guide.1.14.17.pdf was not found on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    I've re-edited the first post. Should work now....