Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
Subscribe
    Mar 27, 2017, 2:17 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #226

Kenzie C01 said: View Post
    This is likely a noob question, but on the Obi-wan saber, what happened to the clamp? Is it torn chrome tape or some kind of corrosion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is believed to be chrome tape. But there's still a lot of mystery surrounding that prop.
    From
    Quebec, QC
    Mar 27, 2017, 2:18 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #227

Especially since the screen-used prop stopped existing after filming. :/
    Mar 27, 2017, 6:01 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #228

matty matt said: View Post
    It is believed to be chrome tape. But there's still a lot of mystery surrounding that prop.
    Thanks!

From
    Pierre, SD
    Apr 16, 2017, 12:36 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #229

thanks a bunch for putting this e-book together. it really goes a long way in providing some great historical context. i appreciate it!!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    May 12, 2017, 7:06 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #230

On page 50 it still says Star Wars Chronicles Magazine ... which is false ... it's a huge book :

. . . and the most expensive what I ever paid for a book in my extensive SW library

Next this was the very first picture of OB1's lightsaber published 1978 in Harry Harrison's Mechanismo Book and is paramount to be included in your lightsaber Guide ... it's what set me on my quest for those vintage parts

Chaïm
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; May 12, 2017 at 7:12 AM.
    From
    San Diego
    Jul 6, 2017, 11:52 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #231

Greetings fellow RPFers, Star Wars worshippers and devout accuracy prop builders (read: reverse engineers...)

Let me start by saying that this lightsaber bible is a Force send, (see what I did there?) and indeed enlightened me about a great... many... things... I feel the need to point out one single glaring mistake that seems to reverberate throughout the entire Star Wars universe of fandom... Breathe... just... breathe... Okay, here goes...
    On page 6 of my beloved new favorite book, Seth states:
    "The first lightsaber prop created for production was also the first to appear onscreen and captivate countlessfans. There’s no question that the Skywalker lightsaber is one of the most iconic props in cinema."
    This is one of the most widely believed misconceptions in all of our precious saga's history. I'm referring specifically to the line: "first to appear onscreen" when in fact Darth Vader's lightsaber is CLEARY visible swinging from his belt in the opening scene when he enters the Tantive IV, the reference to which he even mentions on page 24.
    Now before I get a ton of hatemail or booted off the site, I confess... Luke's (Anakin's, Finn's, Rey's, Maz', hell even Han used it...) lightsaber WAS the first to ever be IGNITED onscreen, it was not however, the first to appear onscreen. I been waitin' years to say that, lol. Understand, I only mention this in the interest of helping others understand our universe (galaxy, whatever) and present the most accurate information possible. Let the "they already mentioned that like 12 years ago" or "there's a thread that already discussed that" begin and May the Force be with you... Always.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jul 7, 2017, 10:35 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #232

Okay, technically you're right-- but it's a quick little shot. whereas the Graflex appears in a scene that is dedicated to it (and yet never gets a close up). I think that's why most people remember it as the original.
    Jul 9, 2017, 11:19 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #233

Seth, I think you need to add an asterisk on that sentence with the next revision.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jul 9, 2017, 2:18 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #234

can do!
  10. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Jul 9, 2017, 10:01 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #235

I think this is a textbook example of "ball busting".
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jul 15, 2017, 2:30 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #236

seth looks like we got a graflex in episode 8!!

stunt with different looking grips

wish this was HD...
    From
    Michigan
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 12:04 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #237

halliwax said: View Post
    seth looks like we got a graflex in episode 8!!

http://i.imgur.com/DtwugMY.png

http://i.imgur.com/uEvG0KX.png

stunt with different looking grips
    http://i.imgur.com/g7jUmXJ.png

wish this was HD...
    http://i.imgur.com/YLRwsIb.png
    enhance, enhance, ENHANCE!
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 23, 2017, 9:48 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #238

Sheesh. Its got the beer tab. More inconsistencies.
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Weeks Ago  Jul 24, 2017, 12:01 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #239

TFA had a beer tab, so it's consistent with the last time it was seen. Only the ESB versions lack a beer tab.
    3 Weeks Ago  Jul 24, 2017, 5:24 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #240

Reckon TFA and TLJ used a vintage graflex or a replica? Maybe we'll never know.
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Weeks Ago  Jul 24, 2017, 6:34 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #241

We know. They were vintages. There were no readily available replicas at the time, outside of maybe the 2.0, but we can visually see it's not one of those. An RPF member also helped production acquire actual Graflexes.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    3 Weeks Ago  Jul 27, 2017, 2:29 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #242

Seth PM inbound with new leaks

From
    Montbéliard & Dijon , France
    3 Weeks Ago  Jul 28, 2017, 10:34 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #243

SethS said: View Post
    We know. They were vintages. There were no readily available replicas at the time, outside of maybe the 2.0, but we can visually see it's not one of those. An RPF member also helped production acquire actual Graflexes.
    Yes ! But I was asking myself a question..
    Did PropShop replicate Graflexes for the movie?

PropShop's policy was to sell collectibles from the very workshop that was in charge of TFA.
    I guess they didn't made studies for Rey's lightsaber "just" to sell it. They may have acquired genuine graflexes but I'm not sure that's what was used in the movie IMO
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Weeks Ago  Jul 28, 2017, 11:34 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #244

Graflexes are used in the movie, an RPFer helped them get acquired for the production design team before Prop Shop was involved. Screencaps confirm. The stunt sabers were replicas, but the detail on them was minimal.

The visual dictionary and LaunchBay display sabers are also verified as vintages.

The saber sold as a collectable was a replica, and not a very good one.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    3 Weeks Ago  Jul 28, 2017, 1:26 PM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #245

7 G R A F L E X vintage flashguns were purchased and used for movie-production ... Lucasfilm executives and J.J. Abrams were adamant they were vintage not replicas for the new lightsabers used on screen

Chaïm
    From
    Montbéliard & Dijon , France
    3 Weeks Ago  Jul 29, 2017, 1:59 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #246

Thank you ! Now it's clear to me
  22. Member Since
    Dec 2016
    3 Days Ago  Aug 17, 2017, 5:06 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #247

To anyone with the Black Series Luke lightsaber (#03), or has seen it in person, how accurate is the red button's color? Mine is pretty dark. Basically not red at all just a brown; kind of like a brown M&M. Then I realized that the Black Series C-3PO's arm was brown and not red too. So I'm wondering if their red paint just sucks?
    From
    Auckland, NZ
    3 Days Ago  Aug 17, 2017, 5:25 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #248

@ BlueSaber: you could possibly be colour blind. Not having a go - just saying it's a possibility. Are you perhaps red-green colour blind?
  24. Member Since
    Dec 2016
    3 Days Ago  Aug 17, 2017, 5:36 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #249

ZeroSum said: View Post
    @ BlueSaber: you could possibly be colour blind. Not having a go - just saying it's a possibility. Are you perhaps red-green colour blind?
    No :P I can see all shades. My button just seems to be brown
    From
    NEBRASKA
    3 Days Ago  Aug 17, 2017, 10:50 AM - Re: The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook #250

It's not just BlueSaber: the button on my old ForceFX ANH Luke saber is more of a burgundy brown than a vibrant red.