Game of Thrones dragon statue. wip pic heavy. sculpt done.

mrbungle

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Working on a GOT dragon. i am trying to get into sculpting more figures and stuff. I mainly sculpt masks.

but i started with my reference material from the show and wanted to base mine on the the black dragon . Drogon.

this statue will stand about 2 and 1/2 feet tall.

A friend of mine wanted a big dragon statue that would still fit on a table top with wings spread and i decided to use one point of contact with the base. the whole statue stands on one foot.

after a few sketches i was ready to start.

started with a copper pipe frame.
20160827_121943.jpg

progress shot showing how i did the wings. wire frame with screen so i could get the wings thin.
20160902_125152.jpg

getting close to the finished sculpt. i had to cut the whole dragon up in pieces to finish sculpting it and to mold it.
20160929_094133_001.jpg

20161231_171150.jpg

after hours and hours of detail and wing engineering. the wings drove me nuts. i literally had wire from the ceiling holding the wings in place. as my dog puffins looks at me like,,,,what are you doing...
20161108_112411.jpg

these were really thin and needed to come off for molding. the tail fins, there were 4 and 4 on his neck. he also has a huge number of spikes.
20161108_112506_1.jpg

it took 13 molds for the entire dragon and base. here is the dragon out of the molds and quickly put together. the wings are not glued in , the final assembly will have tighter joints and gaps filled. also the spikes need to be added to the body and wings.

the statue from the bottom of the base to wing tip is 31 inches.

gd1.jpg

gd3.jpg

gd6.jpg

gd4.jpg

gd8.jpg

gd9.jpg

gd7.jpg

gd13.jpg

gd14.jpg

statue without wings in different light.
gd16.jpg

now off for paint and final assembly. thanks for looking and checking out on of the hardest projects i have ever tried.
`

Wow, that's a nice start to a thread, Looks spot on to Drogon.
Looking forward to seeing the colour too. Will you be making copies by any chance?

That is amazing!! By the way, I love the shot of your dog giving the dragon the look like "What the hell? Should I sniff its butt?"

That is GORGEOUS! What a beautiful sculpt!
How were you planning on displaying him? Any plans for a small Daenerys to sit atop him?
:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, guys!

potionmistress , i do not plan to do a daenery's as of yet, but that is a good idea. i think the scale would be around a 1inch and half mother of dragons figure. i might do one later. i plan to display the dragon once he is finished and painted.

thanks, guys,

tucknator i used a mix of clays. 1 part chavant med 1 part castilene and 1 part gulf wax, all melted down and mixed together. it produces a real hard clay.

What kind of screen did you use for the wings (they came out looking fantastic by the way) ? I'm new to sculpting and haven't started any projects that call for armature yet. Do you just use an epoxy putty to stick your armature wire together ?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

thanks, guys,

tucknator i used a mix of clays. 1 part chavant med 1 part castilene and 1 part gulf wax, all melted down and mixed together. it produces a real hard clay.

Cool idea to put the wax in there, I'll try that on smaller pieces thanks for this. Is this something you've found through trial and error or a known technique? Once again, looks amazing.

What kind of screen did you use for the wings (they came out looking fantastic by the way) ? I'm new to sculpting and haven't started any projects that call for armature yet. Do you just use an epoxy putty to stick your armature wire together ?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I used metal door screen for the wings. It comes in rolls. I used an epoxy puddy on the armature. It is called plastic steel or something like that from the hardware store. Comes in a plastic tube. You cut a piece off . Mead it and it sets in less than 20 mins.

Cool idea to put the wax in there, I'll try that on smaller pieces thanks for this. Is this something you've found through trial and error or a known technique? Once again, looks amazing.

Thanks! I got the idea from a book called pop sculpture by Tim Buckner. If you are into sculpting definitely worth the money. For statues and small parts that Clay mix works great but you need heat to work it. Like an alcohol lamp and wax pens. You can also sand it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back