Graflex hardware saber

Just a heads up: I found some "double sided art tape" (I think it's called) at the Dollar Tree. I used it to replace the tape on some Blastech grips that have been moved from saber to saber over the years, and it works quite well. It's a 1/4" wide and about the same thickness as packing tape, so it won't be visible under the grips. If you're in the US, that may be an option for attaching grips.

WyrY3ws.jpg

QhPSwNs.jpg

vtEQXMy.jpg

X9nvvW5.jpg

Not the best pictures, but I hope they help. All are taken in inches because I couldn't fine the calipers:/. Goodluck!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Ok did a little more today. Got the slots cut out and the screw in place. Getting a little happier with the appearance of it all now. Still need to make the little square hole at the top and the cutouts for the bunny ears. Lots more to do.

Attachments

• IMG_20171209_115418.jpg
    IMG_20171209_115418.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20171209_124137.jpg
    IMG_20171209_124137.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20171209_124147.jpg
    IMG_20171209_124147.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20171209_124202.jpg
    IMG_20171209_124202.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 222
Thank you....was hoping to have this done before the new film comes out but doesn't look like it.. gonna cut the are for the bunny ears today and file out the square hole at the top. The fun continues....

Mmmmm Hardware Graflex, now that takes me back. I have not seen one of these in a long time.

I was wondering what your plan is for the red button now that Radio Shack is no more.

You should probably swap out that screw for a flat head slotted, but apart from that, it's looking pretty good. Hope mine turns out as well.

Don't have pics yet but made the cuts for the ears and will be cutting out the ears themselves very soon.using an old chrome switch plate blank for the ears. Has the right look and finish and the thickness is right. Was going to use aluminum but it was too thick.

Thank you. The ring itself was from a vintage toggle switch probably 1950's. The glass was a disposable camera lens and the metal sleeve was the upper part of a xacto knife. No threading so I'll have to glue it in. Since I don't have a shoulder puller I figured I might as well go all hardware. Still need a red button substitute. May just buy a red button thumbscrew.

Hello all.
I was off today and it's kind of cold and gray and snowy looking so what else is there to do but work on your graflex lightsaber. So I put together my own grass glass eye last night and today drilled the hole to mount the glass eye. I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to use to make my red button when I remembered that in a box of parts I had an old fake red knob or red button knob that had come with a graflex reborn saber that I bought some time ago didn't like the way that the knob looked I thought it was painted because it was so dark and tarnish when I got it don't even bother trying to clean it up I just didn't like it. Look through my parts box found the knob polished it a little bit and I was very surprised at how much better it looks now so I'm going to use that instead of trying to buy one or attempt to put one together very happy with the way this knob looks now so drill the hole to put the knob in tried to thread it but that didn't work so I'm left with how to attach this knob to the sabre I'd rather not epoxy it on. I may glue a magnet on the bottom side of the knob and attach a small piece of metal inside the saber so that way I can just pull the knob off if I need to. The glass eye unfortunately I think I'm going to have to just put a little bit of epoxy on there to hold it in not so much that I need a hammer to get it off but just enough to keep it on that way if I need to take it off later I can just pull it off. Really wasn't into this build very much until I actually sanded the outside of the tube with 320 and now has the brushed finished which makes it look a lot better A lot more graflex like and I'm happier with this now. still need to make the bunny ears and the small little detail pieces and a clamp that's going to be the next Monumental task on this. I keep toying with the idea of buying a clamp but the problem is I don't know if the finish on the aluminum to that I have is going to match the finish on the clamp sometimes are too shiny sometimes or to satiny sometimes the color of the plating use doesn't match the aluminum very well so I just have to try and see I guess. Here's pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20171215_122330.jpg
    IMG_20171215_122330.jpg
    774.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20171215_122256.jpg
    IMG_20171215_122256.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20171215_122250.jpg
    IMG_20171215_122250.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20171215_122239.jpg
    IMG_20171215_122239.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20171215_122225.jpg
    IMG_20171215_122225.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 225
this looks incredible! I haven't fabricated much in a while, and I must say, you could give Icons a run for their money!

IMG_20171215_213940.jpgIMG_20171215_213957.jpgIMG_20171215_214019.jpg
Thank you very much! I figured out how to attach the red button by using a magnet! I glued 3 washers to the inside of the graflex then glued the magnet under the knob. Stays on and I can take it off if I want to.

Lol! Did it cause I couldn't thread it Into my saber and I didn't want to glue it directly to the tube. Besides I usually change my design two or three times during a build.lol!

Looks like you nailed the glass eye. I checked the (local) Guitar Center website, but they don't seem to stock that type of toggle switch nut. Have to keep looking I guess.

Depending on the job you do fabricating the emitter loop/ears, this may end up being a near perfect replica.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back