Graflex hardware saber

Hi old thread but im starting this back up. Made a graflex bottom and cap. Had the tube from a two cell conversion I did some time ago. Capped the bottom by using a washer that had the correct inner diameter and glued this in. Then using a washer with the outside diameter I made a aluminum cap to fit the end of the tube. I placed the washer over the metal in a vice an filed the aluminum down till I had a circle. Once the grips go on it won't be so noticeable noticeable IMG_20171022_141651.jpgIMG_20171022_141645.jpgIMG_20171022_141810.jpg

Hi all....
Getting ready to make my graflex clamp and need a little help. Have most of my dimensions but really need to know the side bar width and the space between the sidebars when open and closed. Thanks ill be sure to document it as I go.

Pretty good. In most cases I've made no attempt whatsoever to replicate the halves of the Graflex, instead using one continuous tube. The only one I've made in two pieces uses a vintage Eveready flashlight for the bottom due to it's passing resemblance to a Graflex bottom and a sink tube for the top.

Hi all
Feeling a bit discouraged about my latest build .I did a little work this morning in my garage I got the S curved cut out in the aluminum tube that I've been using cleaned up the aluminum where I cut it with files and sandpaper then reamed out the inside of the tubing a bit so that I could get my actual graflex innards to fit. Still need to make the cut with a bunny ears are going to go and also need to make all the appropriate holes for the plugs and the nobs once I get them. Actually upon thinking about all of this I'm thinking of stopping the build simply because with the time and the amount of money that it's going to cost to get these replica parts to make this look the way I want I could probably buy one of Romans replicas complete and we'll have to build anything. Still anything that I can build will not cost as much as an actual graflex does on eBay anymore but I will be spending probably $150 when all is said and done if you include the knob replicas a clamp replica maybe even a bunny ears replica also the actual graflex inside part that I bought I'm beginning to think this is an exercise in futility plus I still haven't been able to locate a anyone with a shoulder polar who's willing to let me borrow or rent it I know in my head I can make a reasonable replica but I don't think I'm going to be happy unless it looks exactly like one and that shoulder puller is probably going to be the make-or-break thing for me on this. Anyway here's some progress picsIMG_20171113_093217.jpgIMG_20171113_090749.jpgIMG_20171113_102409.jpgIMG_20171113_102417.jpg

If I can get ahold of a shoulder puller sometime I'll let you know for sure. I actually refuse to start mine until I have an efficient one on hand.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Looks good so far. But don't let minor inaccuracies throw you off. How much better will you feel showing off your completed saber when you can say "I made this" instead of "I bought this".

I have the benefit of working where I can "find" many of the things I might use to build a Graflex replica, so cost isn't an issue (although the time, money, effort I've put into fabricating an Obi ANH replica, I probably should have just bought a machined replica). But maybe I'm just stubborn. Some people work harder to get money to buy the things they want. I work harder to build the things I can't afford, and develop a skillset that allows me to make more in the future.

By the way, is that real Graflex guts? Because, you know that's cheating:p

Last edited:
Tan Djarka.......yes it is a real Graflex bulb socket. Wanted it to look as close as I could get it. Tight fit even after reaming out the tube. I love building these. Buttons and a clamp will be purchased though. Cheating again! Lol

Tan Djarka.......yes it is a real Graflex bulb socket. Wanted it to look as close as I could get it. Tight fit even after reaming out the tube. I love building these. Buttons and a clamp will be purchased though. Cheating again! Lol
You should mold and cast some of the graflex guts from onyx resin. I'd definitely buy a few:).

Yeah thought about that. So finding out the template im using isn't as accurate as I thought. The original graflex bulb socket doesn't quite line up with the drilled out holes. Gonna make a few adjustments but not scrapping the build yet!

Keep at it! I know I haven't commented, but I do follow this thread a few times a week. it's awesome seeing metal work like this

Hi all snuck out to the workshop for a little bit. Got the side holes drilled out on the graflex top. Need to cut the two slots on the back side. I have the template but the slots seem too big. Any way to cut these other than drilling and filing?

Not that I know of.

on a semi-related note, Lowe's has a new Bluehawk rake that can be used for grips. They're a little narrow and the fins are short, but if you're doing a custom saber or you're okay with less than the strictest of accuracy, they're pretty good.

I always think of the smallest way I can remove material. for those slots...Either drill bits the same diameter as the slot (and use a square file to get the corners) or use a dremel cutting wheel that's been worn down to something smaller than the length!

So got my needle files and are ready to cut the slots but the template does not match the graflex bulb socket slots. Does anyone know the measurements of these slots and the distance... Thanks.

So got my needle files and are ready to cut the slots but the template does not match the graflex bulb socket slots. Does anyone know the measurements of these slots and the distance... Thanks.
I can take some images tonight :). I get off in a few hours.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back