Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Florida
    Jan 14, 2017, 9:13 AM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #51

Cool, so just to be sure, the ammonia has no effects on the rest of the flash's finish?
  2. RPF Premium Member newmagrathea's Avatar
    From
    Kansas City MO
    Jan 14, 2017, 9:37 AM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #52

If I knew anything about how to design and produce parts I'd be all over making the DV stunt parts for everyone.
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Jan 14, 2017, 9:47 AM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #53

Panaflex said: View Post
    Cool, so just to be sure, the ammonia has no effects on the rest of the flash's finish?
    Nope. Now, I have no idea what would happen long term, but one hour didn't harm the nickel plating at all. Only the brass reacted.
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2016
    Jan 16, 2017, 3:48 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #54

I bought the full TFA kit from wannawanga. I can't even slide the card in place before clamping down. Like I might have to bend the teeth of the clamp outwards to make it fit?

DARTH SABER said: View Post
    Sounds like you may need to unscrew the lever on the clamp a turn or two.

But first, before unscrewing anything-

What kind of card do you have?

Whats the width and thickness of the card?

Are you having a hard time folding down the lever after the card is in, or does the card not fit at all regardless of the lever position?
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jan 16, 2017, 4:15 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #55

NotChrisHansen said: View Post
    I bought the full TFA kit from wannawanga. I can't even slide the card in place before clamping down. Like I might have to bend the teeth of the clamp outwards to make it fit?
    your lucky. usually with graflex clamps ( anyones clamps ) you usually have to shim the card to get it to fit in there snug
    Jan 16, 2017, 4:20 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #56

Did you get the full tfa kit? How does the clamp cover look ?
  7. Member Since
    Nov 2016
    Jan 16, 2017, 9:41 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #57

I managed to get it to slide on by: 1) Removing the protective backing on the card .. and 2) fully disassembling the clamp cause I had to install the clamp cover.. It marked up the card, but they're covered. I was really forcing it the card down.

halliwax said: View Post
    your lucky. usually with graflex clamps ( anyones clamps ) you usually have to shim the card to get it to fit in there snug
    I did.. And the clamp cover looks great. I don't have the gap that people are reporting on the Roman's clamp-only order.

kevin926 said: View Post
    Did you get the full tfa kit? How does the clamp cover look ?
    Jan 16, 2017, 11:08 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #58

I should really know this by now...

I'm still confused about the clamp placement on these. Sometimes the bunny ears point left, sometimes right (if clamp is facing up).

What is this? Are different versions facing different directions?

My Roman is opposite of my original.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 16, 2017, 11:44 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #59

WhillB said: View Post

I'm still confused about the clamp placement on these. Sometimes the bunny ears point left, sometimes right (if clamp is facing up).

I plan to be super annoying with my book now.. but...

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=271961

Check it out. Variations explained.

Short version--

Looking at the base of the Graflex, with the bunny ears at twelve o'clock...

... in ANH it tends to shift whether it is from a scene shot in Tunusia, the UK, or promo material in California, usually between 2, 3, and sometimes 9. On screen, in most scenes it is seen, it is at nine o'clock.

Everywhere else in ESB and TFA it is at 3 o'clock, save for a few ESB promo images where it is flipped.
    Jan 17, 2017, 4:40 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #60

I managed to get it to slide on by: 1) Removing the protective backing on the card .. and 2) fully disassembling the clamp cause I had to install the clamp cover.. It marked up the card, but they're covered. I was really forcing it the card down.

I did.. And the clamp cover looks great. I don't have the gap that people are reporting on the Roman's clamp-only order.
    I think they are slightly different (besides the finish) I have both clamps, one being used for my unibody and the other came with the flash gun of course.
    Can you post some photos when you are ready. I would love to see this romans tfa version. I am kinda thinking about making the jump (if I get a real graflex) also did you file your glass eye down?
    From
    L.A.
    Feb 7, 2017, 3:15 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #61

I posted in the TFA Graflex Research thread but don't want to keep bumping that with a replica build, so here is where I am at so far..

First of all, if it even needs to be said.. Roman's work on these is superb. Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing a TFA version with a vintage Graflex.. I just wouldn't. This is the next best thing, and I mean the very next. So glad I picked one up.. hopefully I'll snatch up another one down the road.
    As for the saber, I already filed down the knurling on the glass eye, using the dremel method posted in the research thread. Worked great! The lines were a little uneven so it took a good bit of filing but I am super happy with the look. I also used a metalizer to change the bulb pin to a brass color, and then gave the top half an ammonia bath to get the pins looking a little less shiny.

I had an old pair of 3D glasses, the old red and blue acetate kind, so I cut a few circles out and placed them behind the glass eye. When the light is off, you can't tell anything is in there at all, but when it's on it adds a nice little touch of blue.

The grips are from the custom saber shop, and will likely be replaced when I get my kit from Roy. No templates, no measuring.. just eyeballed and placed them on. Blasphemy to some, but I doubt they were anywhere near as exacting as some of us folks on this board. I've seen Propshops work on 7.. believe me, they aren't measuring anything. I cut down the screws and glued them in place, and I went with screws just because I think they look better. I really can't stand the look of the pop rivets in the grip, but that's just my personal taste.

The rest of the stuff to finish the saber will be coming in from Roy sometime in the next two weeks! I'll be honest, I haven't been able to put this thing down since I got it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7549.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	414.3 KB 
ID:	705055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7545.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	433.6 KB 
ID:	705054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7550.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	402.5 KB 
ID:	705056

As for Roman's Graflex itself, the top and the bottom are a match, or atleast close enough that I can't really tell a difference. There is that weird texture on the top of the clamps but two seconds with scotchbrite would help, and in my case it will be covered anyways. I know a lot came with a super shiny bottom but mine didn't. Not sure if Roman hit it with scotchbrite himself, or what happened, but it came perfect. I saw some bunny ears were bent a bit further apart than I would have liked, but mine came with perfectly thin and parallel spacing. Red button took some force like others, but it came off easy enough with some convincing. The bunny ear screw I'm not bothered by enough to fix, and that's about it.

Over-all, those are all my nitpicks, and most, if not all were already fixed or easily fixable. I am 110% happy with my order and the Graflex I received.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Feb 7, 2017, 4:09 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #62

very nice mold maker!
    From
    L.A.
    Feb 8, 2017, 10:48 AM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #63

Thank you Danny!

I still haven't put this thing down. Slept with it on my bedside table as I usually do with newer pieces. Just can't wait for the stuff to arrive from Roy!

halliwax said: View Post
    very nice mold maker!
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Feb 8, 2017, 2:00 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #64

Mr Mold Maker said: View Post
    Thank you Danny!

I still haven't put this thing down. Slept with it on my bedside table as I usually do with newer pieces. Just can't wait for the stuff to arrive from Roy!
    Roys stuff is the best! You won't be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Formerly known as Vegeta JoMamma_Smurf's Avatar
    From
    St. Pete, FL
    Feb 8, 2017, 3:47 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #65

WhillB said: View Post

I'm a nazi about clamp placement and I always correct someone on the forums and facebook pages about it so I'll answer.

The ANH saber has clamp placed on the right side (when looking at the flash with the glass eye facing you).

The ESB and FA sabers have the clamp on the left side.

Name:	george-lucas-star-wars-01.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	705458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	705459
    Feb 8, 2017, 6:14 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #66

I'm thinking of selling my master replicas sabers for Romans graflexs, but I'm not understanding some things. Are parts of them too shiny? And he offers conversion kits, but everyone seems to use Roy's, are they better made or more accurate? I'm taking my first step into a larger world here and can use some help, thanks!
  17. RPF Premium Member benhs1898's Avatar
    From
    Richmond, Virginia, United States
    Feb 8, 2017, 6:26 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #67

eegah said: View Post
    I'm thinking of selling my master replicas sabers for Romans graflexs, but I'm not understanding some things. Are parts of them too shiny? And he offers conversion kits, but everyone seems to use Roy's, are they better made or more accurate? I'm taking my first step into a larger world here and can use some help, thanks!
    Roman's graflex is an excellent base for a replica. If you have any issues with the finish, they are easy to take care of. Roy's kits are considered better, but the Roman's grips require less prep-work(if that isn't your forte). Most of Roy's parts ARE more accurate(clamp card, Kobold, grips) and he offers parts you will need(clamp cover, bottom cover, belt holder).

Edit: Does anyone know what kind of bulb I need for the glass eye? Mine just fell off my balcony. I am thinking of getting an LED replacement.
    Last edited by benhs1898; Feb 8, 2017 at 8:07 PM.
  18. Member Since
    Mar 2016
    Feb 9, 2017, 6:25 AM - Romans graflex group ideas #68

What's the best way to protect the metal from rust? I got my hilts the other week and went on a trip for 5 days and came back to some of the clamp and slide switch rusted. I don't have sweaty hands and I wiped them down with my shirt after handling them. These are my first hilts so yeah...

Could also use some advice for my inception if that's allowed on this thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by elmo274; Feb 9, 2017 at 6:30 AM.
  19. Coldhands RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    Feb 9, 2017, 8:00 AM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #69

I decided that I'm going to go the rivet route with the grips however I'm nervous the rivet will crack the grips. Does anyone have experience with this?
    Feb 9, 2017, 8:06 AM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #70

elmo274 said: View Post
    What's the best way to protect the metal from rust? I got my hilts the other week and went on a trip for 5 days and came back to some of the clamp and slide switch rusted. I don't have sweaty hands and I wiped them down with my shirt after handling them. These are my first hilts so yeah...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3e1aa7f357.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0d8efa8dbd.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...06ece95d0c.jpg

Could also use some advice for my inception if that's allowed on this thread

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0dbc0f7005.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Light coating of oil. Lots of oils to choose from.

I like WD-40. Spray on rag and gently whipe down.
    From
    South Carolina
    Feb 9, 2017, 9:08 AM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #71

I went with ANH.

Name:	IMG_0666.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	705656

Name:	IMG_0667.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	705657
    I used Roy's grips, bubble strip, & d-ring.

I really like that idea from Mr. Mold Maker about putting in a blue lens behind the glass eye . I'll have to work on that.
    Roman did an amazing job on these, I have a hard time thinking of them as a replica.
  22. Mance Vader RPF Premium Member MCM's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore
    Feb 9, 2017, 12:01 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #72

Mr Mold Maker said: View Post
    Thank you Danny!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one compelled to admire my newest creations/acquisitions even whilst sleeping hahaha. The mattress on my bed is blown out and hurting my back, so while I've been waiting on a new matress, I've been sleeping on the couch in the living room/mancave surrounded by all of my sabers and everything. Every night is like the ultimate sleepover in the ultimate clubhouse. It's awesome!

I eyeballed the grips on my 2 replicas, too, you know, in keeping with the spirit of how the actual prop makers did things. Well, I used the 7 holed end of my Graflex 2.0 as a rough guide to line up the grips on my ANH saber (6 grips are much easier to orient symmetrically without help).
    From
    I--O--W--AAAAAAA
    Feb 14, 2017, 2:56 AM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #73

Anyone have any thoughts on the viability of filing down the bunny ears to reduce the length just a little?
    Feb 14, 2017, 12:11 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #74

I think I saw someone do that. It was either here or on Facebook. It looked pretty good.
    From
    I--O--W--AAAAAAA
    Feb 14, 2017, 12:28 PM - Re: Romans graflex group ideas #75

Roman let me know today that the metal underneath the silver plate on the bunny ears is copper or brass. Filing or sanding will reveal the different color. Probably not recommended unless you like that sort of thing.