Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer SKS Props - Updated 7/25/17

SKS Props

Sr Member
My first costume of 2017 is one that I have wanted to make for years Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer! Frazetta has been a huge influence in my artistic career going back to well before I was even a freelance illustrator. It only seems fitting that with my skill set I bring one of his masterpieces to life.

ioe7SwPh.jpg

So like I said I have been looking at Frazetta's art since I was a little kid first seeing his works on the old Conan book covers. Way back then I knew his style and implied form was something special. 4 years ago I went to Wizard World Chicago and got the unique opportunity to see 22 of his original painting on display...it...was...amazing!

I had wanted to visit the Frazetta museum for years but hadn't ever gotten around to it and didn't think I would ever have a chance to see these works up close. The highlight to the room was Death Dealer. I absolutely loved this painting and even owned a 1970's print but to see it in person was emotional. I knew then that I had to make this character real and now is the time.

I have been doing research on and off for years saving pictures of every sketch, statue, or painting I could find trying to complete this character. The biggest issues surrounding Death Dealer is that you never see the front of the helmet and that every time Frank painted him he looked a little different. The saving grace to all of this is a statue created by Randy Bowen in the 90s. Frank supplied Bowen with a sketch of what he thought the helm would look like if not obscured by the shadows. I have been basing my reference off of those sketches as well as Bowen's sculpture to bring Death Dealer's helm to life.

Because of my love for Frazetta's work and my dedication to prop building I extremely excited to take this on. This project means more to me than any other I have built to date. I hope you all enjoy the process and thank you for taking this journey with me.

Update -- 7/25/17

Completed cosplay I'm really happy with how this all turned out!

iljSDkZh.jpg

Attachments

• ioe7SwP.jpg
    ioe7SwP.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Re: Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer SKS Props

Because Frank always painted his face in the shadows I knew the helmet would be tough. Lucky for me he did a couple of sketches of what he thought the helmet would look like for sculptor Randy Bowen. I will be basing my helmet off of a mixture of Frank's sketches, Randy's sculpt, and my own artistic license.

SMBOd3oh.jpg

So first things first melt down some Monster Clay and start applying it to my CFX head form

iso83lCh.jpg

lhoe9RGh.jpg

Re: Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer SKS Props - Updated 1/11/17

Very cool! I started a sculpt of the helmet my self several years ago and can never find the time to finish it. In Your collage of the Bowen Statue two of those images are from one I repainted years ago!

Last edited:

Very cool! I started a sculpt of the helmet my self several years ago and can never find the time to finish it. In Your collage of the Bowen Statue tow of those images are from one I repainted years ago!

Well your repaint is fantastic. I own one too #3/5000 signed by Randy Bowen and he even did a quick death dealer sketch on the bottom. I have been toying with the idea of repainting mine......Once I finish a full size version :)

Thanks glad you like it, you have a nice low number I think the one I have is in the 300's I would have to check. I look forward to seeing the progress on your sculpt, maybe it will inspire me to finish mine!

This is going to be great. Subscribed.

Frazetta Death Dealer helmet - When I sculpt I usually turn my work around or upside down to see it from different vantage points. This makes sure that I am not favoring my right side to much which tends to happen. I press string into the clay to define the center of the sculpt and use calipers to try and make everything even.

nML0eRth.jpg
BnTk7EIh.jpg

Re: Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer SKS Props - Updated 1/17/17

Tickle me interested! I've always been a fan of that painting and Frank. Eager to see the next update!

Re: Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer SKS Props - Updated 1/18/17

Looking good so far! What's the red part underneath? Did you make some kind of base mask with the clay applied on top?

Looking good so far! What's the red part underneath? Did you make some kind of base mask with the clay applied on top?

Correct, its a base of plastic and held together with resin. I did the same thing with the wings on my dragon age helmet. That way I can sculpt the front faceplate and the back of the head without using all of my clay just for build out.

Frank Frazetta Death Dealer Helmet - Using calipers I start to define the cheeks, the slats that run down the length of the lower jaw, and the ornamental details at the top of the helmet.

UVSzvnyh.jpg

4hlKQpFh.jpg

G9GOm9zh.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back