My SS TIE Fighter

swgeek

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I've been working on and off on my Tie Fighter for about 6 years now. Most of that time has been research and kit collecting. Last year I finally started work on construction of the master patterns. I plan to mold the whole thing so that down the road I can make an Interceptor and a X-1 to go along with my standard TIE. Also, this will be a New Hope Version. At least that's the idea, there seems to be a lot more reference for the later TIEs, so if you see anything wrong let me know.

The first thing I started was the wing pylons. I started with the smaller ones, closest to the wings. it wasn't until I finished the patterns that I realized the smaller ones were probably a cut down version of the larger ones (the ones touching the hull).
I started with a block of Renshape. Renshape, for those who don't know, is a super dense foam. It is or was a standard building material in the F/X business.
20140807_111635.jpg

After I finished the master pattern I molded the master and cast up my first real part of my TIE Fighter. The two halves are the master and the one assembled piece is the cast parts glued together.

20150128_220909 (1).jpg

My next part to tackle was the larger wing pylons. I basically used the same technique on the larger pylons.

20150128_104804 (1).jpg

I didn't really plan out my construction, so I kind of jumped around from section to section. Next on the list was the tail end/ rear pylon cover. I started with a big block of urethane resin, chucked it up in the lathe and started shaping it down. My first pass was to get the outside diameter correct.

20150127_121107.jpg

Next was to get the inside diameter correct.
20150127_124243.jpg

After I was happy with the ID and the OD I shaped the outer and inner walls.

20150127_132144.jpg

After I had the part separated from the block and the laser cut assembly of parts fit for the inner piece I started detailing the cover. It was at this point that I realized I had gotten some numbers wrong and the inner disk (the grey part) was too deep and the inner walls were too steep. Welp... back to the drawing board.

20150127_165411.jpg

Next on my list was to start the armature. I started with the central aluminum piece. I had a piece of 1 1/4" stock that I turned down to fit inside my 1 1/4" OD pipe.

20161122_175934.jpg

Here's the central piece finished.

20161202_162014.jpg

And here it is attached to the outer pipes.

20161202_162242.jpg

And as with the rest of this build, It took me three tries to get this part right. Gahh!

20161130_120749.jpg

I'm now starting on machining the balls that make up the main hull. Man acrylic is brittle!

20161205_102337.jpg

So that's where I'm at now. I took a break over the holidays but I plan on getting back to the construction soon. I'm a bit stuck on some parts though and was hoping some people who are better at the I.D.s than I am can help me out. For now I'm concentrating on the main hull and the wing stars, there's other areas I'll need help with, like the inner dash, Ceiling and wing arms. The color highlighted parts are the ones I can't seam to find. The green part I know, the red part looks right to me but I'm not sure and the blue and orange parts I have no idea. except that the orange parts look like part of a gun. I thought they might be ships guns but I've poured over my kits and any kit scans I can find with no luck.

TIE Seam Cover Legend.jpg

I'm also stuck on these parts on the wing. They are highlighted in red with a number next to the parts I don't know. I've included a non highlighted picture for clarification. I'd really appreciate any help that anyone can offer. I'm open to hints and educated guesses. If anyone has claim on the photos I've borrowed and wants me to take them down just IM me. Thanks

Unkown Parts Small.jpg

Last edited:
Having spent the better part of a year building my studio scale Tie based on an old and incomplete basic resin cast, I've found a number of useful resources for parts identification.
This link is very useful. There are a few parts which have been incorrectly identified (as I discovered when I bought the associated kits themselves), some which are guesses, but overall very useful.
You may need to create an account and log in to the page to access all its content.
Let me know how you go.

Regards,
Peter.

http://www.studioscalemodelers.com/forums/thread-1293.html

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey Dave.
Having spent the better part of a year building my studio scale Tie based on an old and incomplete basic resin cast, I've found a number of useful resources for parts identification.
This link is very useful. There are a few parts which have been incorrectly identified (as I discovered when I bought the associated kits themselves), some which are guesses, but overall very useful.
You may need to create an account anf log in to the page to access all its content.
Let me know how you go.

Regards,
Peter.

If I could ask - how does one access that site? I have tried to follow many links to information that would be helpful to me but I always land at the front page with no permissions.
I have tried to create an account, but am told that function has been turned off by the admins.
Is there a secret handshake that is needed? ;)

Not as far as I know. I created an account several months ago and was able to log in and read through all the pages, so unless something has changed then I couldn't tell you otherwise.

Not as far as I know. I created an account several months ago and was able to log in and read through all the pages, so unless something has changed then I couldn't tell you otherwise.

Thanks Peter - I have sent them an email to see if they will open up new account creation.
Sorry to hijack the thread - now back to your regularly scheduled awesome Tie Build!

Could you be so kind to tell which parts you found to be incorrectly identified over a SsModelers,
Maybe we can correct them overthere and make that identification thread more accurate.
Thanks

You may need to create an account and log in to the page to access all its content.
Let me know how you go.

Regards,
Peter.

So in my original post I forgot to thank all those TIE nuts who came before me and did the real leg work on hunting down the contributing kits for this model. So thank you! And a special thank you goes out to Julien (Monsieur Tox), Kevin (Beaz), dirtydave, joewhite and Alonzo Fonzo for helping me find some of the more rare and secret kits, thanks guys!! Sorry if I forgot anybody. If I did, drop me a PM and let me know.

I finished machining the acrylic hemispheres for the body of the TIE. What a pain! I went through 5 hemispheres to get them right. One I clamped down too hard and cracked it, two I shattered on the mill (boy when acrylic breaks it explodes) and two more actually worked out. Now let's hope I actually machined them correctly. I have to get out my box of kit parts and start test fitting to make sure that I got the measurements correct.

So here they are.
20170118_193552.jpg
20170118_193620.jpg
20170118_193641.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back