Mr. Huffle - Doctor Who Christmas Special 2016

Sinned

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Mr. Huffle feels pain!

Not really a marquee prop, but since BBC posted a great, scaled sketch, having one of these guys was too funny to pass up. Still a WIP, but coming along.

I couldn't think of a great way to make a true, functioning replica, so decided to go the static prop route.

Initially Mr. Huffle was sculpted by hand, with Sculpey, but getting the body shape consistent was just not very practical (at least, not with my skills). The end result is still okay, and has some "movement" to the look. I'll still finish this one up for myself, I think.

MrHuffle-01_zpspwcouksz.jpg MrHuffle-02_zpsdacxbjmh.jpg MrHuffle-03_zpsi0tocnrq.jpg
MrHuffle-04_zpsnkj22qwg.jpg MrHuffle-05_zpsrtw38www.jpg MrHuffle-06_zpsdfpcf7s2.jpg

Of course, it cracked some when baking it, but it's not too bad.

MrHuffle-07_zpsgbpx249w.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Mr. Huffle - Doctor Who Christmas Special

Not happy with the "by hand" route, it was on to the next phase! I've been looking for an excuse to learn 3D modeling, and this presented a great opportunity, since it's a pretty simple model. Or so I thought.

The body, and ears were no big deal, but it was interesting getting the eye brows, eyes, and mouth on there. The ears were modeled as separate pieces, and fit into the head with keys.

MrHuffle-08a_zpspkxaampo.png

Printing was trial and error, and required going back and remodeling the face once or twice, but in the end, it all came out pretty good.

MrHuffle-08_zpsimxqifsu.jpg

Still working on cleanup of the print, to get the final version ready for molding.

A few coats of XTC-3D cleaned up the print fairly well. It looks pretty weird here, because I fixed a few trouble spots by adding on white and black tinted, which was leftover from coating some other things. It's good enough for primer, but I'm certain there are still a few things which will show up then, and need to be addressed.

MrHuffle-09_zpszkj4pqdy.jpg

Mr. Huffle has some fluffy/wispy hair that will need to go on top. Wandering around the fabric store, there were several faux fir options, but none of them quite looked right. Then I ran across some feather "fringe" stuff. I think it might be perfect.

MrHuffle-10_zpsz9iwfejg.jpg MrHuffle-11_zps7iiw7x25.jpg

Are you going to make molds and make it out of some form of rubber. Being able to squeeze it like in the special would be very funny!

Are you going to make molds and make it out of some form of rubber. Being able to squeeze it like in the special would be very funny!

Definitely molding it, but probably won't make a rubber version. I'd like to, but not sure how to go about that, with the resources available to me. :)

Current plan is to just make them solid resin. But I'm certainly open to ideas on how to make a hollow rubber one, and where to find some of those little noisemaker things. Suppose those could be easily salvaged from dog chew-toys.

Still working on cleanup of the 3D print version. Prime, find issues, sand, repeat.

So in the meantime, finished up the Sculpey version as a test of paint and hair. Definitely glad I went with the 3D model approach, but this still turned out pretty good overall. The mouth on this guy is a little too wide though, I think. The feathers for hair are going to work great.

MrHuffle-12_zpsgrftlsg1.png

I ran across some pictures of the actual Mr. Huffle master sculpt, and the pupils have an inset circle (6mm diameter) around them. After painting the ones above by hand, that'd be pretty beneficial for getting a nice, crisp edge.

Any thoughts on how to get a similar circle on my 3D print? I've been considering several options, but none seem ideal. Currently my leading option is to heat a small piece of metal tubing, and press it on there. Not sure how that'll work since I have so much paint on there though. Any thoughts?

master_01_zpsd4jzr0p2.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back