Tie Interceptor verse Tie Advanced Question

Freeliner

Does anyone know what the wings on the studio models for the Tie Interceptor were made from?

I was able to pick up a couple of the 1/48 Revell Fine Molds Tie Fighters at a ridiculously low price and I want to convert one of them to a 1/48 Tie Interceptor.

The wings on the Interceptor look like the wings from the Tie Advanced, but backwards and with parts of the wings removed. I was thinking of trying to pick up a 1/51 Estes Darth Vader Tie Fighters and convert the wings.

Anyone try something similar or have any suggestions?

The Revell 'Darth Vader's TIE Fighter' - aka X1- kits #85-1878 or #85-1857 may provide you with a better source of parts. The "trick" is turning the gid matrix 90 deg from the molded position. However, the old MPC 'snap' TIE Interceptor, often maligned for its soft detailing, is actually pretty accurate in many respects. I had been surveying all the available kits (excepting the FM TIE, which I don't have an example of in my stash) to determine which options would support my 1/48 TIE projects. The main issue with the MPC TIE-I wings is that the grid, although quite accurate in the grid pattern, suffers from a lack of precision in the tooling. I plan on combining the various panels that don't have any pattern defects to put together a master for casting a more crisply detailed version (since the wings are not 'handed' one master is all that is needed.) It would be better if a suitable grid was already available, but Plastruct's offerings are all too large.

To convert a FM TIE, I cannot say if the MPC kit could be a source since I am using the AMT TIE 'duo kit' as a donor for the 'ball', which is identically sized between the two kits.

I also recommend you do a Search within the Gen Modeling forum for TIE threads; there are several that helped me with researching the various kits. BTW, if you wish to tackle a 1/48 TIE Bomber model, the Revell Vader kit is an excellent source for that project. Also, re: the Estes kit is a good starter for a 1/48 X1 TIE but the wing panels have a grid pattern that is the 'inverse' (convex vice the required concave depressions) and is too small a spacing, leaving just the "fuselage" (which still requires a good deal of modification to eliminate the socket for the rocket tube...)

Hope this helps some...

Regards, Robert

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back