Han Solo ANH “Hero” Blaster- I’m gunna need your guys help on this.

JoblessPunk

Hey!
So I think I’ve done enough Research on my favorite Character and I’m ready to make his Blaster.
I’m going to be making a Han Solo “Hero” Blaster from ANH, I’m talking about the not Greedo Killer one.

But there’s a catch, I’m left Handed.
Am I going to run into any problem with mounting the pieces on the other side?
It doesn’t seem like there would be a problem but I’m a N00bie at this.

I haven’t bought anything yet because I want to get the right parts and quality pieces.
So I’m looking for your guys help :)

Here’s my parts list:
1896 Mauser Automatic Pistol Replica:
http://www.blast-tech.com/products_mausersAcc_C96-1.asp
$65

Wood grips:
Info Page:
http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/grips.htm
Order page??
http://www.sarcoinc.com/c96pistol.html
(I need help with this, where do I order??)

Type I Mauser Conversion Kit:
http://www.blast-tech.com/products_packagedKits_T1DL44-KIT.asp
$200

Info on the Blast Tech Type I Mauser Conversion Kit:

Hensoldt-Wetzlar Dialyt Telescope Replica-
CNC machined T6 aluminum telescope replica with glass lenses.

Grill and Disk Set-
Injection molded PVC grill for the Denix Mauser.

Mounting kit for HW-1 Telescope-
Includes stamped black anodized aluminum T-bracket, cross brace and smooth nut. Telescope mounting cradle is injection molded PVC.

Series 1 Flash Hider-
CNC machined T6 aluminum flash hider.

I don’t have any experience with any of these parts and I would like your input.
Are these quality parts?
If not, could you suggest different parts or places to order?

Thanks everyone for your help and I’ll keep you update with my progress!! :D

Blastech is a good place to get parts. I've placed several orders with him over the last few years.

I've actually built that kit you're planning to do, and I don't see why you couldn't mount the parts to the left side of the Mauser instead of the right side.

You will have to drill/tap a couple of holes in the Mauser to install the scope mount bar, but it's not too complicated. You just mark where you want it to go, and drill 2 holes.

The only issue you may run into is having to reshape the 'grill' piece that fits over the front of the Mauser's magazine. It's designed for a "Righty" version of the gun. But that particular piece is plastic, so some careful trimming should make it fit OK.

As Superjedi said you'll have problems with the grill. I would get a 2nd grill in case you are not happy with the results of trying to cut/modify the square & circle reliefs. That way you could use the bottom half of both grills to get a full grill and cut the upper piece so it is 'left' handed and not be out the reorder time & shipping, with some careful cutting and sanding you should be able get a tight nearly invisible seam I would think if you had to go that route.

I've order from Blast-tech a few times, nice parts & they went out pretty quick.

Thank you for your replies! :)

I see what your talking about with the "grill"
and I'll see what I can do.

I'm definitely going to be buying an extra "grill"

...hmmm trying to figure out how to make this actually work....

and can anyone help/explain how to order the wood Grips?

Thank you for your replies! :)

I see what your talking about with the "grill"
and I'll see what I can do.

I'm definitely going to be buying an extra "grill"

...hmmm trying to figure out how to make this actually work....

and can anyone help/explain how to order the wood Grips?

The Sarco site seems to be setup funny... almost like they've rebuilt part of it and in the process left out links to sections. There's no links to their pistol grip/butcap page that I can find, but if you search for 'mauser grip' that page comes up & theres a listing for GRP062 - New MFG, Mauser, HSC. Hopefully someone else can confirm that's what you need, I've never ordered from them before. Most of the gun shops & gun parts suppliers I've delt with are usually pretty good to talk with; I'd just call them up and say you need Mauser Broomhandle grips, I think its part #xxxx, but can you confirm that so I can place the order correctly.

The Sarco site seems to be setup funny... almost like they've rebuilt part of it and in the process left out links to sections. There's no links to their pistol grip/butcap page that I can find, but if you search for 'mauser grip' that page comes up & theres a listing for GRP062 - New MFG, Mauser, HSC. Hopefully someone else can confirm that's what you need, I've never ordered from them before. Most of the gun shops & gun parts suppliers I've delt with are usually pretty good to talk with; I'd just call them up and say you need Mauser Broomhandle grips, I think its part #xxxx, but can you confirm that so I can place the order correctly.

Thank you sooo Much Cheech9898!!

But ya if someone can confirm that I will be ordering this:
GRP062 - HSC MSR Grip New MFG - $25.00

Because the one below it looks like it might also be the right one:
GRP157 - HSC MSR Grip Original (Euro Walnut) - $18.50

but I dono, I'm a n00b.
I'll be calling them tomorrow and see whats what.

Here's another possible source for the grips:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=598130&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

Also, if you're going to mount real grips on a Denix, you'll have to do some work to the grip frame. Here's a great source for working on that conversion:

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/grips.htm

yeah I saw those, but I thought they look a little too dark for Han Solo's ANH Blaster.

But what do you guys think??

This pic shows both grips:
1_parts.jpg

What I was thinking is if the Lighter grips are to light I can always go darker with stain...

I've ordered from Numrich Gunpartscorp several times and their grip color varies a bit from medium to dark. I have not ordered from Sarco. Though I've heard Wakal say that they're not as consistent.

When building on a Denix replica, there are a number of steps I like to take to accurize it. I strip the Denix to remove pitting using a Dremel polishing wheel. Pins are flushed with a Dremel polishing wheel or cutting wheel in the grooves. Real wood grips are fitted using Wakal's tutorial including modifying the metal grip and filing it down to the correct profile. Reverse the sight aperture by using a screwdriver or chisel to pop off the top and turn the knob around to face correctly to the right. The Denix logo was removed with the polishing wheel. The hammer nub was removed with a file. No paint was used to finish the Denix, just Birchman-Casey Aluminum Black. Bull barrels were built with 3/4" copper tubing and JB Weld. To make the silver "disk", a small section of 3/4" copper pipe was used as a template held against the side of the Denix for a Dremel polishing bit to be inserted to remove the paint.

Blast-tech parts
http://propaholics.wolfchasers.com/uploader/users/wdb/hananhdss.jpg

Blast-tech parts
http://propaholics.wolfchasers.com/uploader/users/wdb/IMAG0052_edited.jpg

Awesome man,
Thanks for the instructions,
I'm such a n00b at this so any info will help :)

I got an email from Blast Tech and the Parts all together are going to cost $265
Woot!

but, I got to wait till Friday, when I get paid, because I kinda went out and partied away some of my Han Solo moneyzz. ahg. lol

Also, I got a confirmation Email from the Place I ordered the grips from :)
I was kind of biting my nails about it because I used an American Express Gift card to pay for them, haha.

Can't wait to get till tomorrow!
Later

I just bought the parts from Blast Tech. :)
So all the parts I’m going to need are on their way:

1896 Mauser Automatic Pistol Replica
Hensoldt-Wetzlar Dialyt Telescope Replica
Grill and Disk Set (x2)
Mounting kit for HW-1 Telescope
Series 1 Flash Hider
Mauser Wood Grips

That’s everything right?

Last edited:
It looks like everything. . . as long as you already have the Denix. ;)

Did the grips come with the attachment hardware? I think on most gun part sites they call them escutcheons.

It looks like everything. . . as long as you already have the Denix. ;)

Did the grips come with the attachment hardware? I think on most gun part sites they call them escutcheons.

haha whoops! I forgot to put it in the last post.
But, yep I ordered it from Blast Tech at the same time.

And yep, it comes with the Screw'ie thing and the Brass other stuff. haha

Well then, I'd say you're on your way!
Is this the first prop you're building yourself? It's a lot of fun, and really rewarding to see it when it's all done. :thumbsup

I built a Darth Vader ESB Lightsaber about a year ago for a school project, but that's not really much. It's basically just gathering the peaces and putting it together.

But this is my first time actually building a prop :)

No paint was used to finish the Denix, just Birchman-Casey Aluminum Black.

I just started my Denix ANH build this weekend. I washed the Denix down with dish soap to remove the oil. I actually like the dull, hazy, inconsistant black finish it has now.

If it wasn't for the need to sand the logo, and flush the pins, I think I would have left the finish.

Now that I have all these sanded areas, I need to do something to it. What is the stuff you mention above? Do you just rub it on the bare metal and it gives it a black tint? I'd be interested to apply this to some spots, and see what I get.

It is a beat up, weathered looking piece after all!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back