TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan: Shredder

SatsuiNoJXA

IMG_7555.PNGIMG_7566.JPGIMG_7567.JPGIMG_7577.JPGIMG_7579.JPGEnlight1.jpg

Now before I get into my progress, I just wanna make this clear, that this is my FIRST OFFICIAL ATTEMPT at crafting with EVA FOAM. So I am going through a lot of trial and error, however, I am going to do my best to deliver a very solid, transition from the game for my cosplay.

I would definitely appreciate some helpful tips, regarding getting cleaner cuts, shaping(not heat shaping but more like 3Dimensional Shaping for more definition), and how to coat and paint.

Now what you will see attached in this post so far is, the first gauntlet. I took a set of craft foam sheets and made templates of the fins, the base, and the bracket.
Then I simply traced them along the eva foam. I got a PVC pipe cut into 4 pieces.
2 for the gauntlets and two extras, just in case I messed up so that I had spares.
In order for me to get the placement I wanted for the PVC PIPE to act as a handle in the gauntlet, I took plaster wall screws and inserted them in the sides of the bracket. This way, I can user PVC ADHESIVE to bond the PVC with the foam. After I did that, I used my heat gun to warp the foam I had already assembled to give it shape.

I then took my fin templates and cut them out from the EVA. Using Hot Glue I bonded the pieces to the base of the gauntlet. I had some problems in this process, noticing that the fins were on top of each other, so I adjusted and shorted the ends in order to compensate. Once the fins were secured, I took the heat gun to the fins and shaped them in with a curve. The fins took their shape and I went on to complete the last two pieces, the two elongated blades.

Now this was a little complex for me, even though it seemed like such a simple piece. Going off the source material, I am not entirely satisfied with how it looks since it doesn't have that detail I am looking for. Definitely need advice on this.

And what ya see is what ya get. The first gauntlet was done last night, and once I finish the rest of the armor, I plan on solidfying the foam and giving it crosshatch battle damage marks. I also wanted to do a mouth guard even though its not part of it, but it would be removable. Also thinking about adding chains but not for the physical look, but I wanted it so that when I take a step, you hear chains rattling, similar to the 1990 Movie Shredder. Maybe somewhere on the shin guards?

OVERALL: I can see I messed up on placement and it isn't aligned perfectly but that is something I plan on paying more attention to for the next gauntlet and the rest of the pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_7545.PNG
    IMG_7545.PNG
    158.7 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_7550.PNG
    IMG_7550.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7594.JPG
    IMG_7594.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_7622.JPG
    IMG_7622.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_7624.JPG
    IMG_7624.JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_7636.JPG
    IMG_7636.JPG
    615.3 KB · Views: 155
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back