Kylo BS mod FAIL

FettFreak80

IMG_2329.JPGWell after much research, I finally got to use the spaz stix systm to paint the chrome section of the Kylo BS helmet. Dont think I could be any more disappointed to be honest. After following every detail, instruction and tips from artists it just turned unbelievably dull. There isnt a hint of reflectivity in it at all. So I think Im gonna scrap this project as Ive sunk WAY too much time into it. Dont want to waste any more to be honest

If I may say so...that looks 10x better than some of the resin helmet jobs I have seen out there! Once you weather the cheeks and get the black lines painted...I assure you...it is actually one heck of a nice job!. I was planning on leaving mine...but if I mess it up, I know that stuff will do!

I'm with you we all want it how we want it...I get it I have sanded maybe too much on mine, just trying to get it "perfect". But in my mind...Kylo's helmet, like him, is a work in progress and it isn't exactly the best taken care of in the Galaxy. Looks good, man!

Nice job! Stick with it!

I think it looks good actually. Did you want it to look more like chrome? Sometimes you have to walk away from stuff like this for a while.

thanks heaps man
I was really going for the super reflective chrome look yes. I did find out later that I just applied too much of the chrome color….Youre right, I just took a couple of days away from it to regroup…In the meantime Im making the ash table that Kylo puts his mask on in TFA, really pumped to do concentrate on that for a while

If I may say so...that looks 10x better than some of the resin helmet jobs I have seen out there! Once you weather the cheeks and get the black lines painted...I assure you...it is actually one heck of a nice job!. I was planning on leaving mine...but if I mess it up, I know that stuff will do!

I'm with you we all want it how we want it...I get it I have sanded maybe too much on mine, just trying to get it "perfect". But in my mind...Kylo's helmet, like him, is a work in progress and it isn't exactly the best taken care of in the Galaxy. Looks good, man!

Nice job! Stick with it!

Whoa thanks heaps man
Really appreciate it. The comments here have persuaded me to ditch the project, so Im grateful for that. Honestly I should’ve just watch the one tutorial about the application, I simply sprayed too much of the chrome. But like you said, always a work in progress. And yeah Ill be happy when I get all the weathering and exhaust burn effect onto it. Think I just got bummed because I put so much work into getting the faceplate right with sanding, apoxie sculpt etc prior. But thats how it goes with prop building/props etc

Have you posted any pics of your helmet? Id like to check it out, see if I can help with the sanding

FettFreak80 What you should have a go with is chrome vinyl car wrap......

it's cheap, quite reflective, and pretty flexible when heated with a hair drier, just cover the whole plate, then carefully cut and slice the openings...it needs patience...one bit at a time....but it's also quite forgiving,
you can go back and peel it off and try again....

the black strips you can then just mask and paint...easy peasy! :)

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's mine. I was pleased with my face plates, considering I decided against doing a "Disney Mod". I added depth myself. Have a thread in here about what I did.

Visor and cheeks are done, May tone down the weathering a tad more...but all in all I was pleased with the turn out: Here it is:

20170107_094239_zpskpcfbdf4.jpg

20170107_094254_zpsdlckd6uj.jpg

20170107_094328_zpswdbrcgki.jpg

Hope ya'll like it.

The Spaz Stix paint works really well over a high gloss coat that is smooth. Otherwise it will look dull.

Good luck and hope you keep going.

Did you polished the chrome color a little bit with a very soft cotton cloth?I´ve heared the spaz stix chrome has sometimes a little bit dull dust on the surface.

clancampbell

I actually have some of it but just decided to finish the helmet (Ill post a pic soon)...In the process of getting a kylo helmet kit and Ill just give it another go then. No doubt the car wrap would work great though, thanks for the idea

- - - Updated - - -

The Spaz Stix paint works really well over a high gloss coat that is smooth. Otherwise it will look dull.

Good luck and hope you keep going.

Yep I had the high gloss black behind it, I just applied too much of the chrome. The idea is that you mist it on slowly and lightly and the reflective quality of the gloss black comes through it...Thanks though man appreciate it

- - - Updated - - -

Did you polished the chrome color a little bit with a very soft cotton cloth?I´ve heared the spaz stix chrome has sometimes a little bit dull dust on the surface.
Sure did. It helps a bit yeah. Just sprayed too much of the chrome color

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tried aluminium foil tape, i scratch built a DL-44 blaster and completely covered it in the foil, it is very flexable, and can be buffed up to a shine, i'm starting a scratch Kylo build and will be using it myself for this purpose

I think it turned out great! Maybe it's not what you wanted, but you got a unique looking mask. I would definitely admire your hard work, looks great man.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back