MIB WESTWORLD costume build.

sneak peek at my jacket from magnoli clothiers!! still has some very minor mods to be made but looking good. then painting and dying will be begin!
insta-westworld.jpg

link to buy the jacket from indy!
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/westworld-frock-coat-blazers-p-744.html

So I'm pretty late to the party, but does anyone know if the weavers still offer this fabric to the public? Or how I would go about contacting them to begin with? I'd love to start on my own jacket as well, but I'm not sure where to begin...

So I'm pretty late to the party, but does anyone know if the weavers still offer this fabric to the public? Or how I would go about contacting them to begin with? I'd love to start on my own jacket as well, but I'm not sure where to begin...

The fabric was made by a company listed earlier in this thread. They a did a one time run of 25 yards last year. Not sure if they are planning more. But you can contact them on Facebook. Thistlehill weavers is the name of the company. I believe.

mrbungle, or anyone else with a hat from Baron, can you describe the band on the hat?
It looks like some kind of ribbon with single stitch line down the middle. I'm trying to figure out how to find or make my own.
I'm guessing around 3/8" wide. Any chance you could post a closeup of the end?

I'm doing a budget man in black for Halloween.
I bought a Stetson Bozeman, but need to change the band.
https://www.amazon.com/Stetson-Mens-Bozeman-Crushable-Cowboy/dp/B00CM9OSC8

I've done pretty good with off the rack pieces for most of his clothes, but I'm jealous of the awesome jackets in this thread :)

Here's my Pinterest board with reference and research if it's helpful to anyone else...
https://www.pinterest.com/trevastator/halloween-2018/

I went with this scarf, but I think I need to cut down the width (currently 29.5")
https://www.amazon.com/GERINLY-Cotton-Linen-Scarves-Stripe-Crinkle/dp/B075S7GN5M

I got this shirt in grey and it's a pretty great match. Unfortunately, they're sold out of the correct color now.
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/american-rag-mens-linen-pocket-shirt-created-for-macys?ID=5819844

No stripes, but the color and cut of this Target vest are good.
https://www.target.com/p/men-s-tail...-goodfellow-co-153-deep-charcoal/-/A-53579602

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as people seem to have expressed some interest in obtaining the accurate cloth. I'm putting together a run for the Man in Black's coat and waistcoat fabrics, the latter hasn't been made available this way before so if you're interested please let me know in this thread below:

The Man in Black fabric run I posted about in the previous comment is still happening by the way, we’ve just got to get the numbers up so please let know if you’re interested. In the meantime I’ll post my various costume observations here, I rewatched the series on 4K disc recently for the specific purpose of getting as many details as possible.

The frontal waistcoat fabric for the Man in Black is a grey striped wool fabric, I found a close up of the design in a high resolution promo picture and managed to track down the original stuff. It would seem that it was overdyed a darker grey colour, making the stripes more muted. It’s still available but is in limited supply as it’s not being restocked. The lower right shows the fabric pre-dye:

IMG_3459.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve done a breakdown of the trousers, if anyone wants any of the coat and waistcoat fabrics I’m still taking names for the group run.

The Man in Black’s trousers are cut to a style in-keeping with the late 19th century. From what I can tell, they’re basically identical in design to the trousers pictured in the upper right. Although normally very difficult to see, the screen worn trousers have a fishtail rear and frogmouth front pockets. Unfortunately the gun belt covers the back so I can’t say for sure if they have a rear cinch belt and welt pocket on the right-hand side, however their existence is very likely given that’s the standard design for most other characters. The visible button above the button fly is a concave 4-hole black button around 20mm in diameter, and unlike the trousers in the upper right Harris’ trousers feature the brace buttons on the inner waistband. The fabric is a black denim very similar to this one I found, pictured in the lower right. Off-the-peg alternatives for these trousers include the upper right one from Historical Emporium or one could simply use a standard pair of black jeans with a high waist and tapered leg.

39A2F408-EA59-47DE-A0EE-FE2EB5F8C767.jpg

The Man in Black’s coat lining appears to be a fairly nondescript plain black material at first glance, however in some scenes a very fine and subtle stripe pattern is visible within it. The top right images are brightened to show off this design. Based on what little is seen, a fine herringbone cotton lining like the example in the lower right would be the most accurate option. Interestingly the way the coat is lined changes over the course of the show, for season one and early season two the lining is equidistant from the edge all the way down. Later coats however have the lining in the skirt area (below the waist seam) much closer to the edge than the lining above the waist seam, this area remains unchanged from the earlier coats. This second style is far more historically accurate for a frock coat.

1473DE0F-61B0-438A-B24F-23454AFCBFAF.jpg

942AAEFD-1856-4DBA-9AAF-715F813F5CE0.jpg

Interesting, it looks like they hand-stitched on that big inside pocket from different fabric.

(The pocket is a slightly warmer black, the jacket lining a slightly cooler black.)

It's a surprisingly crude add-on job. Why would they do that? Is it the kind of thing where the costumer looked at the script for that day and saw a bit added last-minute where the character reaches in and takes something out of his jacket pocket...and the costume jacket lacks inner pockets?

It’s hard to be sure, but I think the pocket is made of the same fabric as the coat’s lining. I’ve got a slightly higher resolution version of the picture and they both appear to have the same small scale pattern to them.

I would assume that this is one of the earlier made coats and the patch pocket was added a little later on to store a prop for a scene as you suggested, or maybe for Ed Harris to keep his script close to hand. I’ve seen a few other bespoke coats on different TV shows that seem to have had pockets added as afterthoughts so I’d assume it’s the same here. It’s possible later coats had more proper welt pockets inside, I’ve not seen a clear enough shot to establish unfortunately.

The Man in Black’s coat has two front buttons and three smaller ones on each cuff. Based on what I’ve seen I estimate the sizing to be around 22mm on the front and 15mm on the cuffs. The buttons feature four holes recessed into a concave centre with a reasonably thick rim. Once again, finding buttons that match all these specifications was tough, however the black horn effect ones pictured in the lower right seem to tick all the boxes. If anyone needs a set of these let me know.

As a reminder, the coat and waistcoat fabric run (link a few posts back) will likely be moving into the be green-lit sometime next week so if you’re interested please let me know ASAP if you’ve not done so already.

3A476B30-E2AB-44C3-9BA3-1F4FB0CE2EAC.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back