Sculpting question, opnions needed

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a silly question, but I need some ARTISTIC advice and none of my friends are artists. Have you ever started a sculpture, and looked at what you had and seen something else entirely? That might require some explanation...

I've been wanting to do superhero masks/helmets. My favorite is Batman so I decided I would sculpt him using a manikin head. I got 70% of the base clay (monster) on the form and started some basic shaping. When I looked at it the next day I saw Captain America. At this point (without the bat ears) it would be very easy to adjust the nose and have a great base for Captain America like the attached picture.

So I'm torn... I would love to sculpt Captain America too. Am I following creative inspiration, or chickening out? Both would be very cool to sculpt, but the plan was Batman. There's no real need or deadline to do either so it really comes down to feeling like changing plans is a cop out. Is that crazy? I'd love to hear what other sculptors think!!!

the-evolution-of-captain-americas-uniform-avengers-1.png

I say do whatever you want to do. If you're liking the way your sculpt is looking as a Captain America, go for that, then take the lessons you learned and move on to Batman. I was in the process of sculpting a Hellboy bust, but as soon as I had my form on, I suddenly decided I would switch it to a bust of the Daredevil caricature that is in the opening credits of the show. But I'll eventually get around to a Hellboy bust.

it definitely would NOT be a cop out. Especially if you are feeling Captain America more. I would go with what inspires you more at this point, I bet that would be more successful.

I'd say the same as the other guys; if a piece wants to go in a certain direction, then take it that direction. I've made all sorts of things which ended up completely different to how I initially imagined them, but I think that's half the fun of the creative process!

Thank you all for your comments. In the end I think it doesn't matter which I will do first, because I will sculpt them both... probably back to back. The gallon of silicone will be enough to mold both, and I have plenty of roto-casting resin. I am relieved to here this happens to other artists.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back