Generic ROGUE ONE Rebel Trooper - Find/Modify/Build Thread

Just joined the thread. Hope I'm not too late!

Anyway, this thread caught my attention because it is about the exact kind of costume I want to put together. Unfortunately, I am on a very low budget and I need some cheaper alternatives for some pieces of the outfit. Things like the 'Nam flak vest and the boots are the biggest hurdles for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I spent about $20 total for the fabric of my shirt, vest, gaiters, and the pants about $13, goggles same price.

IMO the big costs come in with the pouches, hat or helmet. I also unnecessarily bought the dt-29 just to have.

but, it can be done on a budget. Just shop around w/ eBay and I highly recommended making things yourself. It's always cheaper, you get the self pride of making it yourself and you learn new things along the way.

I spent about $20 total for the fabric of my shirt, vest, gaiters, and the pants about $13, goggles same price.

IMO the big costs come in with the pouches, hat or helmet. I also unnecessarily bought the dt-29 just to have.

but, it can be done on a budget. Just shop around w/ eBay and I highly recommended making things yourself. It's always cheaper, you get the self pride of making it yourself and you learn new things along the way.

Good to know! I am planning on making most of the costume myself. On that topic, how did you go about making the vest? It looks like you went with the flak vest but I can't quite tell.

I took and old button down vest from a 3-piece suit and used that as my starting pattern.

Then from those pieces transferred to paper for tweaking into what you see. The back vest pattern was all free handed. Cut all the pieces out and sew together the stuff with shaped foam almost like you would with a pillow

from what I can see, the vest I'm wearing was somthing scratch made by production. What they seem to have done is modified this particular vest off those seen in ESB that the Hoth troopers wear.

heres my build thread with a little more info on the vest:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=276138

I took and old button down vest from a 3-piece suit and used that as my starting pattern.

Then from those pieces transferred to paper for tweaking into what you see. The back vest pattern was all free handed. Cut all the pieces out and sew together the stuff with shaped foam almost like you would with a pillow

from what I can see, the vest I'm wearing was somthing scratch made by production. What they seem to have done is modified this particular vest off those seen in ESB that the Hoth troopers wear.

heres my build thread with a little more info on the vest:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=276138

Thank you very much!

Just joined the thread. Hope I'm not too late!

Anyway, this thread caught my attention because it is about the exact kind of costume I want to put together. Unfortunately, I am on a very low budget and I need some cheaper alternatives for some pieces of the outfit. Things like the 'Nam flak vest and the boots are the biggest hurdles for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You can also search eBay for Fragmentation Vest Cover and there are a few that pop up without the armor inside. It is just the nylon. You can then pad with batting. They run about $25 so that is pretty cheap. Most of the surplus items are still easy to find so just keep an eye open for deals. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Complete:
View attachment 732777
View attachment 732778
View attachment 732776
Many thanks to @Psicorp7 for the help with the Nerf blast and much more and also @BroadSword for the many references that help out.

The vest turned out great! Nice work! I agree with Broadsword, time to roll in the dirt for a while!!

Oh yeah, I busted out the weathering kits and airbrush last night.

building up the layers but it's getting there:)

I'm calling this done.... for now

IMG_5615.PNG
IMG_5655.PNG
IMG_5651.PNG
IMG_5614.PNG
IMG_5653.PNG
IMG_5650.PNG
IMG_5654.PNG

Last edited:
I used an old Dutch Army shirt and turned it into a Rogue One inspired jacket using military webbing, buckles, an old canvas belt and lots of stitching and un-stitching. The sleeves stripes and badges were purchased on Etsy.
View attachment 734605
View attachment 734609

Woah, that looks amazingly great! Seriously, I can only dream of having my stitching and all around sewing being that good.

thats incredible :thumbsup

Thank you. I had to pick out most of the original stitching and go over everything with the off white thread and then add all of the other stuff. That collar was a pain, let em tell you. Converting a regular collar to a stand up collar without taking it off the jacket was maddening.

I used an old Dutch Army shirt and turned it into a Rogue One inspired jacket using military webbing, buckles, an old canvas belt and lots of stitching and un-stitching. The sleeves stripes and badges were purchased on Etsy.
View attachment 734605
View attachment 734606View attachment 734607View attachment 734608View attachment 734609

Do you know exactly which dutch army model shirt it was? That turned out great and I am looking for a more lightweight option instead of my light jacket. Man that turned out awesome!

It's an older 1990's Dutch army shirt with snap fasteners, not buttons. They are olive drab with small flag patches on the sleeves. I removed the patches and over dyed the shirt brown.

I've got some regular outfitter shirts on clearance that I'm altering to be like the Cassian Andor / Rebel Pathfinder jackets. I ended up disassembling the collar completely, cutting it to shape, then sewing it back together. Next challenge is to replace the button closure with the covered zipper, which I plan on doing using the material I'm cutting off of the shirt tail.

here is the decal for the sleeve patch that I made in Paint. Hopefully it'll help some people out.

Untitled.png

for transfer paper you'd need to mirror the image and then print.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back