Subscribe
    Jan 2, 2017, 11:07 AM - Star Destroyer Capacitor Bearing (TFA) #1

This is one of those props that had very little screen time but seems to have generated quite a bit of interest among the prop community.

After someone identified the top half of this prop as the casing from a Tommy Walsh Precision Screwdriver set, I knew I had to give this a go.

I began by picking up said screwdriver set from the local Poundland.

To help the paint stick to the plastic better, I gave the lid a light sanding with some 150-grit sandpaper.
    Last edited by The14thDr; Sep 2, 2017 at 7:26 AM.
    Jun 24, 2017, 8:37 AM - Re: Star Destroyer Capacitor Bearing (TFA) #2

I finally got round to undercoating the top part of my capacitor bearing.

I'm currently working on the lower half, so I'll let you know how that goes once I'm finished.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 25, 2017, 12:58 AM - Re: Star Destroyer Capacitor Bearing (TFA) #3

looking good so far, this is a very cool prop isn't it! keep up the great work
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2018, 12:35 PM - Re: Star Destroyer Capacitor Bearing (TFA) #4

This thread must hold some kind of record for the longest build time for such a small prop!

This week I finally had my model for the bottom half of the prop 3D printed.

Using some of my trusty acrylic glue, I assembled the three parts of the collet. Next begins the tedious task of sanding the entire thing smooth before it can be painted.

Thankfully, the tolerances on the ring were so tight that I was able to slowly work it onto the screwdriver lid without the need for any glue.

5. RPF Premium Member propmainiac's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2018, 2:20 PM - Re: Star Destroyer Capacitor Bearing (TFA) #5

Any chance you'll release the files for the lower half?
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2018, 2:39 PM - Re: Star Destroyer Capacitor Bearing (TFA) #6

propmainiac said: View Post
    Any chance you'll release the files for the lower half?
    Not publicly, no. Iíve had trouble in the past with my files being taken and sold without my permission. If you send me a PM with your email address, however, I will more than happily send you the .STLs - that way I can keep a better track of how many people have them.

Iím almost done sanding the lower half now, I just need to figure out how Iím going to replicate that greeblie at the top of the prop.
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2018, 4:53 PM - Re: Star Destroyer Capacitor Bearing (TFA) #7

Fantastic job! Looking forward to seeing your finished prop!
  8. RPF Premium Member propmainiac's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2018, 10:45 PM - Re: Star Destroyer Capacitor Bearing (TFA) #8

Thank you. I will do that
  9. RPF Premium Member Mechanized2400's Avatar
    From
    Dallas, TX
    1 Week Ago  Jan 13, 2018, 1:18 AM - Re: Star Destroyer Capacitor Bearing (TFA) #9

There was a real collet in the JY a couple days ago, may still be there.

Also, this is a great little prop. I’m thinking of having anything go at one