Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP

I would go for more fiber optic, 160 wasn't enough with the holes I drilled. For placement I just drilled where I wanted a window. Just make them sporadic. Don't do them all evenly spaced, be random. Others have asked about videos, I'm sure there are some out there on YouTube. Practice on another model to hone your skills.

I would go for more fiber optic, 160 wasn't enough with the holes I drilled. For placement I just drilled where I wanted a window. Just make them sporadic. Don't do them all evenly spaced, be random. Others have asked about videos, I'm sure there are some out there on YouTube. Practice on another model to hone your skills.

Ok sounds good, thanks for the feedback!

I got all seven engines wired yesterday. Four blue LEDs for the secondary engines and whites for the three mains. It was then I found out the blues are flickering LEDs and the whites are steady! So now, I'm not sure which way to go, leave it as is, replace the blues for steady on's, or hook a flickering blue in series over the whites so they flicker as well.

Thoughts?

Hmm...I haven't really looked into it , but in my mind the engines didn't flicker so much as increase intensity for hyper drive. Otherwise weren't they pretty much just steady? I could be completely wrong though but I'd lean toward making them not flicker. Just my 2 cents.

Bill

Hmm...I haven't really looked into it , but in my mind the engines didn't flicker so much as increase intensity for hyper drive. Otherwise weren't they pretty much just steady? I could be completely wrong though but I'd lean toward making them not flicker. Just my 2 cents.

Bill
I agree

Oh, I know they didn't flicker in the movie, it's a common thing to add to models to give them a sense of "motion". Flicker all, or flicker none?

I still vote for no flicker. Just my personal preference. But whatever you decide I'm sure it's going to look awesome going by what you have so far.

Bill

In this case i vote no flicker and dimmed a little to make it more realistic. In my mind flicker = Just hit with an ion cannon... but if that is what you want to portray... :D

I concur with the above learned individuals - no flicker. Flicker is good for Battlestar Galactica ships. Not so good for Star Wars ships - unless you are powering on, off or as suggested - the ship was hit with an ion canon or ion torpedoes. Of course a lower steady light that boosts up to a brilliant steady light to simulate hyperdrive engines would be cool.

I'm excited just to get any kind of light working in mine.

Given all our opinions Robiwon, do note that your WIP work on this kit is greatly appreciated, as well as all the other modelers out there trying their hand at lighting and detailing it.

I was just blessed to be able to buy the extra kit Fett_Ish had on hand and I will hopefully have this much sought-after Holy Grail of a model kit in-hand by sometime late this week or early next.

I will be back to these threads for certain as a tutorial as I study the kit and figure out what my skills are able to muster in making this the SDII I always wanted to have.

I'm going to hang the finished kit by Spiderwire from the ceiling whenever I get it done, so I am not sure yet how to power it. I was able to successfully internally light the 1/29 Revell X-wing as a first experiment in fiber optics and LEDs. I'm hoping that experience is enough for me to dig into this and light it as wonderfully as I have seen the test shots thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engine lighting test. No bells yet. Video under the picture.
2da12ed.jpg

View My Video

Tis a product of my cheap camera phone Hunk! I know, I know, I have standard blues coming in the mail. I'm actually thinking about using whites dipped in Tamiya clear blue as the blue is just too blue I think.

Wow, it's looking superb Robiwon! Thanks to following this thread, I ended up ordering the Tamiya handy drill after trying to manually drill the FO holes in my Venator. Should make life a lot easier once it arrives from Japan. Was thinking about the Tamiya Router as well, but not sure if I will be needing it much so held off for the meantime.

Re. using Tamiya clear blue to paint the LEDS, I think that will work a treat. I've applied clear colours directly to the FO ends before & it works well.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back