Kylo Ren Lightsaber Repaint

Mark Roman

saber1.jpg
61ez0SCGcsL._SL1500_.jpg(What it looks like out of the packaging)

I decided to pick up a cheap BladeBuilders Kylo Ren Lightsaber for around $14 with the intent of giving it a new paint job. Its a very good casting of the lightsaber, the factory paint job is a bit lackluster though. I based the paint job off of some images I found, primarily of Prop Shop version.

I had to take the blades out using some force which scuffed up the openings a little, theres not really an easy way to do it.
I used Testors enamel paint right on the plastic, in hindsight I should have primed it because its Polypropylene, which doesn't take paint well. I gave it a few coats of Rustoleum matte clear coat to seal it in more.

I went over all the grey areas with silver. On the area where the techy bits are exposed i added a little gold around the edges and weathered it with some black acrylic. The heat discoloration on the two side emitters looks better at a distance, if i ever decide to touch this piece up I'll decide how to blend those colors a little more. I dry brushed silver over pretty much the while piece to make a more metal look.

saber3.jpgsaber4.jpgsaber5.jpg
saber7.jpgsaber8.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad at all. I recently redid one of these myself. I may need to post the results in a thread sometime soon as well.

I did decide to touch up the heat discoloring, here's the result.

:thumbsup I think they turned out great. This was the hardest part for me. I tried small rattle cans. The spray was too wide. I tried masking. The gradients were too sharp. I wound up doing a wet blending technique with a brush, but I had to weather it a lot to hide the poor transitions.

exhaus.jpg

Only way to get these perfect is an airbrush.

Yeah that looks tough. Good work though! Sounds like masking the area and using an airbrush would be the way to go. Good luck!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back