Ralph McQuarrie Concept Lightsaber for 3D Print - finished and chromed!

Looks kinda like this one . I think this was made by Luuke , several years ago. It has aluminum emitter and pommel, and a delrin handle.
Don Mac. a1.jpga3.jpga2.jpg

Well, it's almost a year since I started, and I still haven't puzzled out the right way to make the button functional, so I've decided it's better to move forward and have the option to revise that part later. I sectioned the model into logical chunks and have started printing. Here's the pommel.

IMG_6253.JPG

Moving right along. The big main handle piece is printing today. This is the first real project I'm using Simplify3D for on my Printrbot. So far I'm pleased.

I decided to set the parts up with a hole for a 1/4" rod through the middle. That way it doesn't rely on the plastic for strength between the parts, and it's very easy to model!

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

I decided to revise the way the pommel was split up. Originally the tiny end piece was part of the larger "sink knob." That meant I had supports underneath the overhang of the mushroom bit, so it would require more cleanup in a hard to reach place. Splitting it up makes painting easier, too. I also just prefer the look of separate pieces. When an object is printed as one big block, you lack the separation lines that real world components would have, and it's a dead giveaway for "3D printed." So I did up the mushroom to socket into the main pommel. A little glue will hold it in at the end.

IMG_6265.JPG IMG_6266.JPG

The main body came out pretty nicely. If someone wants to take a crack at making a functional button there, let me know. The model is in Fusion 360.

IMG_6268.JPG

This is fantastic. First time seeing the thread. Love the idea of making McQuarrie's saber in 3D. Did I say I love this already?? LOVE IT!

I decided to revise the way the pommel was split up. Originally the tiny end piece was part of the larger "sink knob." That meant I had supports underneath the overhang of the mushroom bit, so it would require more cleanup in a hard to reach place. Splitting it up makes painting easier, too. I also just prefer the look of separate pieces. When an object is printed as one big block, you lack the separation lines that real world components would have, and it's a dead giveaway for "3D printed." So I did up the mushroom to socket into the main pommel. A little glue will hold it in at the end.

View attachment 780142 View attachment 780143

The main body came out pretty nicely. If someone wants to take a crack at making a functional button there, let me know. The model is in Fusion 360.

View attachment 780150
I'd love to have a crack at the button for you. I have an idea as to how it could work. Just need to get my confidence up on Fusion 360.

Sent from my brain using the Tapatalk monkeys

Well, I was tidying up my works in progress and noticed I haven't touched this project in a while, so I've decided to go ahead and make the files available.

Here's the Thingiverse link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2903827
And if you want to have them printed for you, I've uploaded them to Shapeways, as well: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mrchicken

I've left the labeling a little vague on those sites, as I'd like to try keep the design in the RPF family for now.

If you make one, please do post it here or send me a picture. I'd love to see everyone's interpretations. I'll try to get moving on mine again, too.

Very cool, man!

Thanks for sharing with us all, you've done a great job modeling this awesome design!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Ooooo. Thank you for making those files available. If I give in to temptation and get them done through shapeways, I'll for sure send you pictures.
Thanks again!

Sanding, sanding, sanding. I've taken to doing an initial pass to kill as many layer lines as possible with 80-100 grit sanding sticks right away before priming my PLA prints (printed at 0.1). Then I spend a day or two building up 2-4 coats of filler primer, giving it plenty of time to dry. One more pass with 220, and the simpler parts are ready for paint. The main section with the grips will take a bit more effort.

Anyone else working on one?

IMG_7110.jpg

Hello there. How can I get one of these? Are you still offering these and can we get these as a finished product?

Hello there. How can I get one of these? Are you still offering these and can we get these as a finished product?
You'll find the files for free, or the parts for purchase by Shapeways a few posts up. I have yet to finish mine, but it's possible I could take on another. You can PM me if that's something you'd like to explore.

I printed one out, thanks for sharing the files!

I'll post pics when mine is done, but I wanted to ask, what's your idea for the paint scheme?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back