MPC/ERTL Millenium Falcon Resurection

I would like to address another major issue of the build, the colour of the model. I have read many threads, saw videos and the more i try to find the more i get confused and the fact that i am inexperienced with painting scale models makes things more troublesome. I know that the colour from model to model varies, there is a difference is screen calibration so i can compare photos etc. So here are some questions i have

I am thinking of using as a base colour the tamiya insignia white, i read and saw videos that many people use it as a base colour and after applying layers of other colours and weathering the base colour will change dramatically. How many cans will i need 2-3? Also as a primer should i go for a light grey colour, does it matter?

For painting the various panels on the falcon i will need extra colours such as red, yellow, light grey, dark grey. Any suggestions on these colours?

As i watched a series of videos i saw that people use a variety of brands on top of the base colour and then they seal them with a clear coat. I have some Humbrol acrylics/enamels and humbrol washes along with some Molak enamel colours and a bottle of Humbrol clear along with brown, white, black oil paint tubes. My question is will there be any issues with the tamiya base colour. As a primer i will use a tamiya one. Clearly the best way is to use the same brand along with the clear coat in order to avoid any problems but since i may have some of the colours i will need i would like any opinions on the matter

I think it depends on your painting process. I used the darker white grey AS-16 over black primer and then sprayed AS-20 over that trying to leave some of the AS-16 coat show through in some of the more recessed parts.

I was going for the look of the box art from the old MPC model. In this picture, which to me appears much more white/grey than the warmer/creamy white color I've seen in pics of the studio model in other places

Millennium_Falcon_MPC_1_1925.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

I had planned on adjusting the color by "staining" it with some layers of oil filters to be either darker or creamier as needed.

At first it looked too white. So I did several "filter"/"stain" layers of a mix of burnt umber and black to tone it down a bit.
In the end I think I did get close to the representation of the color on the box

Yp2RVjv.jpg

mIcuHrx.jpg

However, that is not necessarily as close a representation of the actual model in person. I have kind of taken a liking to the warmer colors I've seen. Jaitea's 1/350 Bandai Falcon for example has that warmer look (apparently a mix of white and deck tan)

For my next Falcon I don't think I will go the AS-20 route. It seems perfect for X-wings and Y-wings, but a little too white for the Falcon and required a lot of toning down afterwards. I think I would much rather start with a base color closer to the warmer white

Hey, Kostas...how's that Falcon coming?

Wow pony your falcon is amazing, you made me think seriously lighting my falcon and maybe using an arduino for effects with the lights, your photos are added at my reference collection. A couple of questions though, did you use the stock cockpit interior and added the shapeways cockpit walls? Also what is the thickness of the optic fiber you used?

I continued my falcon segmenting the construction into areas and working on them so i won't get ''drowned'' in the things i need to do. I am doing right now the pipping and i managed to remove the the radar base with no damage, i just had to go very slowly with a fine saw, a tiny drill bit and a dentist tool i bought in order to use it as an engraver. I am using various pics as reference, mostly Jaitea's, in order to bring the falcon as close as possible to the movies, deepening on my modeling skills of course

Here i realized that i placed at the wrong place the pipe at the bottom of pit so i scratch built a small box with styrine, even though the result of the box is not the expected i will remove it and use a piece of copper sheet bent into the shape of a box for the pipes to fit.

View attachment 699897 View attachment 699898

Here is the job i've done so far, the pipes are not glued yet, so i can make corrections when needed, except for the straight ones at the nose section of the ship

View attachment 699899 View attachment 699900

Thank you for your interest , I have stopped working on it temporally since my working hours have increased dramatically from April until late October (10-hour shifts minimum), also i need to finish a canadair cl-415. The good news is that a couple of months ago i received haystack's upgrade kit and it is amazing, the last work i did on the model is to glue the pipping.

well my friend, I too know how work gets in the way, not to mention things to do around the home. I also got a set of HH's latest creation. It's really nice, and not as fragile as the 3D print stuff, plus you get the whole set for one reasonable price. the Shapeways parts a really expensive.
I'm on my 5th Falcon now, still got a closet full of regular and cut away. I did the one cut away but won't do another. too much work to do it nice and right. I'll probably get sick of these before I get them all built, likely Ebay a few. I plan to integrate your piping idea on this one as well, not sure yet to what extent, but I really am impressed with your work with the piping. Have a good one dude, and don't kill yourself at work. find some relax time to work on your projects. It does my stress level a lot of good.

Thank you for your interest , I have stopped working on it temporally since my working hours have increased dramatically from April until late October (10-hour shifts minimum), also i need to finish a canadair cl-415. The good news is that a couple of months ago i received haystack's upgrade kit and it is amazing, the last work i did on the model is to glue the pipping.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back