Re-make of "Dune"

I loved the novel, but not the movie.

......although it does show us a glimpse of how ageless Patrick Stewart is... I mean, did he ever have hair?? :lol

The mini series a couple years back was interesting and I think better captured the book's details, but I never really got to finish it. For some reason, nobody could get those blue eyes right - it just comes out as distracting! Who knows? Maybe this time they would perfect that little aspect.

....although it does show us a glimpse of how ageless Patrick Stewart is... I mean, did he ever have hair?? :lol

Yes.

71a8bc26295994d8372155f1b687f0ac.jpg

...But he was going bald by 19...

qp0lF08.png

It hit him hard and took him years to accept it. But if you see him with hair in anything after age 20 or so, he's wearing a wig or a toupee for a role. He never wore one "socially".

--Jonah

The first pic is of Andy Whitfield, not Patrick Stewart. Andy Whitfield is the actor that played Spartacus in the series... He's dead though.

The first pic is of Andy Whitfield, not Patrick Stewart. Andy Whitfield is the actor that played Spartacus in the series... He's dead though.

Yeah I was just about to say he was a ringer for Andy. Just watched the documentary about Andy on Netflix, heartbreaking.

Translators, Traitors...as they say in Latin. Yes, I agree with what most members said about the books and "Dune" in particular. You translate the books into a movie format...and that's always difficult at best. What do we keep, what can we avoid without compromising the "Essence" of the story? It's a fine line experiment that I wish to no-one!...especially with pivotal works like "Dune".

I just watched Lynch's Dune last night and now I understand why the film is apparently disowned by Lynch. Some incredible sets, puppets, and production design but its just a cheesy incomprehensible mess. No doubt Villeneuve's version will be far superior.

I never read the book, but was Paul in the book? It sounds like the new show is *SURPRISE* making that character a woman. I'm not in the "OMG a female character!" camp, but stop flipflopping ALL the male characters!

Of course Paul is in the book. He's the main character. And it's rather important that he's male, trained in the arts of the Bene Gesserit by his mother, as it's a female order.

And Lynch only disowned the extended cut, as it was made without him.

I just watched Lynch's Dune last night and now I understand why the film is apparently disowned by Lynch. Some incredible sets, puppets, and production design but its just a cheesy incomprehensible mess. No doubt Villeneuve's version will be far superior.

I think the Lynch movie really captured the feel of the world. Production design is unique and great (except the couple times when they just grabbed some boxes and called them guns and ornithopters), casting is perfect, music is amazing, the lighting, constant droning sounds...but agreed it did come out pretty messy with some unintentionally funny scenes and the awkward internal monologues. It is indeed a really tough book to film.

I never read the book, but was Paul in the book? It sounds like the new show is *SURPRISE* making that character a woman. I'm not in the "OMG a female character!" camp, but stop flipflopping ALL the male characters!
Where did you get this from? It is one of the key elements in the book that Paul is male.
I wonder though if the element of Paul and Jessica just using an old legend to their advantage that was deliberately planted will be in the film or if it’s gonna be the normal “he’s the legendary saviour of the fremen” trope.

And Lynch only disowned the extended cut, as it was made without him.
True, that’s the “Allan Smithee” edit but I seem to remember reading that he doesn’t talk about the movie in general.

Now, I have something to look forward to, I hope that it will be as good as the first one.

Same here, pretty much the only upcoming movie that keeps me ticking. A tough one to crack though, there's lots of exposition and world-building to deliver. The Lynch movie tried doing that with the internal monologues which was weird, and the TV series flat out delivered flat exposition. I have faith in Villeneuve though, he hasn't disappointed yet and one of the very few true old-style filmmakers left in Hollywood.

Same here, pretty much the only upcoming movie that keeps me ticking. A tough one to crack though, there's lots of exposition and world-building to deliver. The Lynch movie tried doing that with the internal monologues which was weird, and the TV series flat out delivered flat exposition. I have faith in Villeneuve though, he hasn't disappointed yet and one of the very few true old-style filmmakers left in Hollywood.

I found that if you have not read the books the movies can be pretty hard to follow, but that is a double edged sword because if you read the books before seeing the movie there was no way the movie could ever do the book justice. I liked the movie but loved the books.

Ah that must be Zoe Saldana, she was very eager to play Jessica, Paul’s mother.
I like Zoe Saldana and seems she likes these kind of Sci-Fi roles (Avatar, Marvel films). She doesn't seem old enough to play Paul's mother but I'm optimistic she can act the role.

Maybe we will actually get a cast that represents humanity's future diversity! I'm no SJW but I sorta chuckle at the lack of diversity in 80s films, LOL.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I found that if you have not read the books the movies can be pretty hard to follow, but that is a double edged sword because if you read the books before seeing the movie there was no way the movie could ever do the book justice. I liked the movie but loved the books.
Yea it’s a Catch 22. My favourite book though so I have high expectations.
I like Zoe Saldana and seems she likes these kind of Sci-Fi roles (Avatar, Marvel films). She doesn't seem old enough to play Paul's mother but I'm optimistic she can act the role.

Maybe we will actually get a cast that represents humanity's future diversity! I'm no SJW but I sorta chuckle at the lack of diversity in 80s films, LOL.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I know what you mean although to me Dune was always European-style feudalism transported to space...however with a big dose of Middle-Eastern tropes like the Padishah Emperor and all the ranks and titles. Not to mention the fremens are basically bedouin people.

I know what you mean although to me Dune was always European-style feudalism transported to space...however with a big dose of Middle-Eastern tropes like the Padishah Emperor and all the ranks and titles. Not to mention the fremens are basically bedouin people.

It's sci-fi "Lawrence of Arabia".

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back