Disneyland Death Star Model

Nice, but immediately noticable both replicas are round and not oblate. The sides are almost verticle!

Again speaking only from my personal experience, I'm fairly certain it is a nearly unavoidable side-effect of the manufacturing process of acrylic domes that they end up being slightly more than 180 degrees.

They are blown into a hole from a flat sheet of acrylic, as I understand it, and a flange is left that is then cut off buy the manufacturer, in most cases leaving the dome slightly more than hemispherical.

They probably needed/wanted them in a hurry and supplied two sets of un-cut hemi's to some artists. Great work for what they are, don't get me wrong. It's just that if someone was going to invest that much time into a replica that was going on display they would have at least trimmed the hemi's down.

i have a big corner I can stick it in if your having trouble storing it [emoji38]
dbee0c250404483d9a1d7f7d90c767b3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They probably needed/wanted them in a hurry and supplied two sets of un-cut hemi's to some artists. Great work for what they are, don't get me wrong.

Totally agree...

Similarly, the question was brought up regarding the edge of dish. In this scale (24" - 30" models, opposed to full 36"), the dish would need to be nearly paper thin (like card-stock weight). But for a quasi-museum display like this, I'd bet the decision was made to use a more robust thickness. The dish on mine is about 1mm thick plastic, and it also is too thick.

Would not surprise me if other compromises were made to met a production deadline.

The majority of the people who march by and see these will not see them the way we do! And that's O.K too!

Which edge do you refer to?

The basic design elements of this dish are all correct (or exist on the original), but are not quite as robust as what you see on this particular replica.

The biggest trick with the Death Star is maintaining the illusion of scale, and if any element of the model (physical structure or finish) is too much, then it looks off. The replica dish built by Moes for the original model is too robust. My first attempt at the dish was too robust. And this one seems to be as well, though credit to the builder, as this is a smaller scale, making it all the more difficult getting it right.

Yep thats the correct word, robust. Its too prominent. Too much of an outie, ;-) Still looks good, just off in that one aspect. Thanks

To me it looks like whoever did these was just going for the feel of the original not trying to make it an exact replica. The city blocks seem far different to me than the reference I have of the original... thanks PHArchivist :) just to be 100% clear my first post in this thread was a friendly jab :)

The roundness looks too round, the dish too "pronounced", the trench detail mostly missing, and the city blocks just kind of random... overall a good effort, but seems to lack the care... so I agree this was likely a rush job... even though I like it a lot :)

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
Yes, the domes seem to exceed 180 degrees, and the city blocks appear to have been painted with that faux granite speckle paint (that I tested, and passed on due to its texture).

But again, I'll presume the builder was likely not given the luxury of time, plus keep in mind there were two to build. I'd have much rather used a single rattle-can spray on my cityscapes, as it would have been easier and faster.

And has been said, to the untrained eye the models do effectively capture the essence of the Death Star (enough to rankle my ego slightly! ;) ). So an excellent effort from many perspectives...

You guys realize its been eight friggin' years since I started mine!?

Missed this thread. I agree what other have said, these models were much too rushed to have that perfect look and detail to them. Most of the drawn lines are all vertical and just looks weird.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back