Disneyland Death Star Model

PHArchivist

Master Member
Saw it this weekend. Employees say its been on display about 2-3 weeks.

What do we know about it? Built by folks here...?

It's not quite studio scale (about 18" - 24" in diameter) but is on display in the Disney Launch Bay with the collection of other studio scale replicas.

Attachments

• 15285083_10154796131985127_27214024786400978_n.jpg
    15285083_10154796131985127_27214024786400978_n.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 461
I thought it was 3 ft in diameter? There are actually two replicas -- one is on display at Disney World.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154796131985127&set=gm.10154789960177803&type=3

Your shot is of the Florida model, right? Looks like either a stand-alone case, or at least a case you can get around. In California, it is in a case up against a wall.

Based on how the model is displayed (in California), its hard to tell the size. But it looks a bit smaller than 36".

Yes, that pic is the Florida model. I was wrong, it turns out the models are not studio-scale after all. I'm told they were built to fit the available space. Anaheim is 26" OD and Orlando is 30" OD. :)

The WDW version is somewhere between 29" and 30" to be exact. Sizes were determined by size of existing display area plus availability of build components.

M

Last edited:
I'd like that disco ball in my house!

Why hasn't a reputable model company come out with nice 2-3' model of the DS yet?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Did the original have the dish raised along the edge like that ? Something looks funky to me .

Which edge do you refer to?

The basic design elements of this dish are all correct (or exist on the original), but are not quite as robust as what you see on this particular replica.

The biggest trick with the Death Star is maintaining the illusion of scale, and if any element of the model (physical structure or finish) is too much, then it looks off. The replica dish built by Moes for the original model is too robust. My first attempt at the dish was too robust. And this one seems to be as well, though credit to the builder, as this is a smaller scale, making it all the more difficult getting it right.

Last edited:
I'd like that disco ball in my house!

Why hasn't a reputable model company come out with nice 2-3' model of the DS yet?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Two feet in diameter or smaller may find a market. But true studio scale (36" diameter) is huge. And its a sphere. Try stuffing a three foot ball in a corner. Still sticks out quite a bit! So I'm not sure how many folks would be able to purchase - and more importantly; display - a three foot sphere. Mine stays in the garage. Its too big to fit anywhere in the house.

Beyond that though, with modern manufacturing techniques and technology, (and considering ILM created all -new digital mapping of the surface for R1), it would be a relatively easy model to make. I could easily see a half-studio scale version being mass-produced.

Nice, but immediately noticable both replicas are round and not oblate. The sides are almost verticle!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back