1:23 Rogue One U-Wing

Did Beast Kingdom ever realease theirs?

I was looking around online earlier this morning to try to find more information on this ship. I don’t think it ever made production. I’d love to have a 1/24 u-wing, but the Beast Kingdom model wasn’t very detailed for $2500. Leery of sending a $500 non refundable deposit on a model that may, or may not make production. I’d rather wait and see if one of the well known SS model makers (coughcoughMikeSalzoJasonEatoncoughcough) moves in that direction....

I was looking around online earlier this morning to try to find more information on this ship. I don’t think it ever made production. I’d love to have a 1/24 u-wing, but the Beast Kingdom model wasn’t very detailed for $2500. Leery of sending a $500 non refundable deposit on a model that may, or may not make production. I’d rather wait and see if one of the well known SS model makers (coughcoughMikeSalzoJasonEatoncoughcough) moves in that direction....

I agree it’s very expensive and lacking details. I was just hoping to see actual in hand photos and have not found one.

U-wing taken at Disney’s Launch Bay today.

Attachments

• FA1C17D7-AC00-41B2-A421-04694CD03905.jpeg
    FA1C17D7-AC00-41B2-A421-04694CD03905.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 461
  • 137F5673-E750-4548-BEB5-4804BF975D8F.jpeg
    137F5673-E750-4548-BEB5-4804BF975D8F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 407
  • 974D9BCA-8FDD-4EE0-BDCC-529779725D3C.jpeg
    974D9BCA-8FDD-4EE0-BDCC-529779725D3C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 424
  • 55B2B79B-B6DF-4A03-B400-2D4E9330223D.jpeg
    55B2B79B-B6DF-4A03-B400-2D4E9330223D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 399
  • 312DFFED-BA72-4BE1-8D1B-CD1ACC2FD7C5.jpeg
    312DFFED-BA72-4BE1-8D1B-CD1ACC2FD7C5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 417
  • C6B3489A-3368-4FC2-93F5-0A17F6FE2FA4.jpeg
    C6B3489A-3368-4FC2-93F5-0A17F6FE2FA4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 419
  • 5CC86D70-75EA-4BE0-A2A5-2FB5BF3D3A2F.jpeg
    5CC86D70-75EA-4BE0-A2A5-2FB5BF3D3A2F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 435
I still search for these to see if any made it and out and are some on some insane clearance. Even with subpar paint jobs I would love to have a 3 ft long U-Wing.

Cool kit but it will take work to get it together.

I have this kit, but it will be a nightmare to build, as 50% of it needs to be replaced. I’ll be scratch building new wings, engines, and a bunch of other bits. If I’m really motivated, I’ll make a relatively accurate interior.

In all honesty, I would not recommend this kit to anyone.

Can you say what's wrong? As I'm wanting to get this kit, or did...

I have this kit, but it will be a nightmare to build, as 50% of it needs to be replaced. I’ll be scratch building new wings, engines, and a bunch of other bits. If I’m really motivated, I’ll make a relatively accurate interior.

I agree that this kit is not the best but it's still pretty awesome. I don't agree half of it needs to be re-made. IMO it's just needs a lot of figuring. I have it about 1/2 built. Let me get settled and I will upload some pics.

First you have to figure out how to put it together yourself. Randy(Korbanth) will give you a link to the creator's directions for a different U wing model. Very annoyed with that. $500 model and no instructions or thought on how it goes together.

My entire top half of the main body bends upwards so I have to fix that.

You will need to support the wings. They will not!!! ever stick straight out without sagging. Some are trying new wings with other materials and I would love to buy a set from anyone who can figure it out. The wings are so long and thin I don't see how they can be put on the model without sagging, thus needing support.

You will need modest modeling skills, but figuring out how to put it together skills as well.

I am at best a modest maker. Not advanced at all, and I know I can get this together and looking awesome so don't be afraid.

Yes it's a pain, not well designed but it's still awesome and also your only option for a big U wing. No one else makes one and I doubt they will.

I understand everyone's frustration and this is just my opinion. Despite the problems I am still thrilled with it and grateful to Randy for making it.

The interior is gonna be my favorite part. It's gonna be awesome. I just love the U wing and the interior is amazing. I have not loved a ship so much since Serenity and of course my beloved Falcon.

What's wrong with the engines? I am very happy with them.

Thanks

There is a lot wrong with my kit.

The wings sag like crazy. Even with the metal reinforcement cast inside them, they sag signifigantly, and look like crap. They are also very heavy, and would be impossible to display in the wings swept back position without breaking the pivot pin at the hinge.
I will be building a new set of wings out of carbon fiber reinforced balsa wood. My initial test wings are light, and do not sag at all. I will be able to display the model with wings swept back if I desired.

The rest of the problems with this model, in my case, mostly have to do with bad castings.
The engine cans for example, mine are poorly cast, with much of the detail very soft or obscured. I have already built masters for replacement cans.
The ‘turkey feathers’ on the engine exhaust are too large diameter to mate with the rest of the engine, and they look like crap. I’ll be scratch building mine, making them hollow instead of a solid cast piece, so they can be easily lit. I’ll be using the Arvid heat sinks, like used on the studio scale x-wings for the interior of the turkey feathers.

All of the grille pieces in my kit look terrible. The castings are full of large bubbles and voids. They are also undersized quite a bit, and need to be shimmed to fit. The rear pieces on my kit are particularly bad. I think it would be less trouble to scratch build replacements than to work with what I have.

And the pinholes.......oh, the pinholes are extensive on my kit.

Once I replace everything that’s wrong with this model, the fuselage shell and a few other bits will be the only original parts from the kit.

I’m not saying this kit can’t be made into a nice model, it can (and I WILL, if it’s the last thing I do!!). It just for $500, there is a LOT wrong with it, and a lot that needs to be fixed. Too bad, I love the U-wing, and I was very excited when this kit was announced, and very disappointed when I received the kit.

Thanks for this... wish there was an alternative :-/
And how to fix those wings will be fun. I'm guessing it'll always have to be in the folded position.

L

Thanks for this... wish there was an alternative :-/
And how to fix those wings will be fun. I'm guessing it'll always have to be in the folded position.

L

The wings won’t be THAT bad to build, a bit of balsa, and vacuum bag some carbon fiber cloth over it. They will be quite stiff and light.

99% of the time, I will display the wings in the forward position (like my x-wings...they all have armatures, and I CAN display them with wings closed, but I never do...they remain open) so it won’t be a huge loss if I can’t sweep them back. I’d like to have the option to do so if I desire.

I’m just pretty irritated that for a $500 kit, you pretty much have to rebuild or replace 50% of it. Don’t mind scratch building pieces that lack detail, or I want to improve, but I dislike having to build and replace parts that should be presentable and useable out of the box.

I will never spend a dime on a Korbanth kit again.

I am looking at getting the wind machined out of marine grade aluminium that should stop the sagging. We had one on display for two days and the wings dropped about 5mm.
I have just received my kit and it looks great for a resin kit, there is a little warping to the back of to Hull but that is to be expected, a little heat should see that right.

I have not built a resin kit that has not needed some work.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back