Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk (Post-release)

Re: Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk

That looks good, I definitely want to see it. You can never have enough good WW II movies and it'll be nice to see one that deals with Dunkirk since it's never been covered in a movie before, at least not an American made one.

That looks good, I definitely want to see it. You can never have enough good WW II movies and it'll be nice to see one that deals with Dunkirk since it's never been covered in a movie before, at least not an American made one.

I think it's British,...Warners is the studio paying for it though,....but it's Chris Nolan's Syncopy Inc

J

This might be my most anticipated movie of next year. I really like ticking clock sounds in the trailer and teaser.. I hope the movie maintains that sense of urgency and intensity throughout. I think it has a chance to have a different feel from most war movies.

I'm glad someone's tackling this relatively unknown (at least in the US) chapter of WW2

Last edited:

I hope they at least make mention of the 51st Highland Division, which was ordered to stay behind to delay the German advance. Some 10,000 members of the Division were captured and sent to POW camps.

Looks like some strong aviation content too.
Quality stories of WWII aviation have been severely lacking.
I know it may only be a small percentage of the movie but if anyone can get
it right it's Nolan.

I'm going to go on a deliberate 'didn't do any research' and simply ask you guys. What is this about?

I'm going to go on a deliberate 'didn't do any research' and simply ask you guys. What is this about?

A "miracle of deliverance".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk_evacuation

The Dunkirk evacuation, code-named Operation Dynamo, also known as the Miracle of Dunkirk, was the evacuation of Allied soldiers from the beaches and harbour of Dunkirk, France, between 26 May and 4 June 1940, during World War II. The operation was decided upon when large numbers of Belgian, British, and French troops were cut off and surrounded by the German army during the Battle of France. In a speech to the House of Commons, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill called the events in France "a colossal military disaster", saying "the whole root and core and brain of the British Army" had been stranded at Dunkirk and seemed about to perish or be captured.[5] In his We shall fight on the beaches speech on 4 June, he hailed their rescue as a "miracle of deliverance".[6]

In short, Brit army tries to invade France, is stopped cold and surrounded by superior German forces.
Brit army retreats to Dunkirk beach, where Germans have themselves a turkey shoot.
Brit civilians hear of their soldiers plight and launch every fishing boat, ferry, and dinghy across the channel to rescue their boys.

Last edited:

In short, Brit army tries to invade France, is stopped cold and surrounded my superior German forces.
Brit army retreats to Dunkirk beach, were Germans have themselves a turkey shoot.
Brit civilians hear of their soldiers plight and launch every fishing boat, ferry, and dinghy across the channel to rescue their boys.

Ah man, spoiler alert! ;)

In short, Brit army tries to invade France, is stopped cold and surrounded by superior German forces.
Brit army retreats to Dunkirk beach, where Germans have themselves a turkey shoot.

That pretty much sums it up except that the British weren't trying to invade France, they went in to France to try to help them fight the Germans who were invading France, and winning.

I wonder if this movie will address the reasons why the Germans ultimately halted and effectively allowed the Allies to successfully evacuate their forces? By all accounts the Germans had the Allied/British Expeditionary Force dead to rights and should have wiped them out, killing or capturing everyone on the beach at the time, yet they stopped their ground forces and, going by the movie, just threw the Luftwaffe at them but it didn't look like they went in with all they had though. I wonder if this was another famous blunder by Hitler or another case of Goering over promising and under delivering on the Luftwaffe's capability, much like he would later do when he promised that he would be able to keep the 6th Army supplied by air at Stalingrad.

That pretty much sums it up except that the British weren't trying to invade France, they went in to France to try to help them fight the Germans who were invading France, and winning.

Well, yah - I suppose I could have said "liberation", but we call D-Day an "invasion", so I called Dunkirk an "invasion".
I assumed everyone here was sufficiently educated to know that England and France were united against Germany in WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Normandy

In short, Brit army tries to defend France, is stopped cold and surrounded by superior German forces.

Fixed

J

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back