Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk (Post-release)

I am eager to see it but I have heard some of the feedback is that people don't know the story and they don't identify with the individual characters. This makes me want to see it more. I don't want a bunch of crappy back stories about a girl waiting back home so that we are either sad because he dies or happy that he lives. Think of the recent Independence Day, half the population died but we saved a schoolbus full of kids Yeah!!!. This movie is about the huge numbers of people involved; not a few that either made it or didn't make it. I also read that some people are upset at the lack of diversity. B Please...

Great looking movie that I felt very little emotion during. Really don't like these non-linear narratives in movies like this. All the performances were good, beautiful shots and filmaking, just not engaging on a story level for me. A few blips throughout the movie were standouts but that was really it

Saw it last night in IMAX. Beautiful film. Loved the air to air cinematography. Loved the feeling of desperation that Nolan has imbued into this film. The lack of dialogue doesn't bother me, as it is such a visually rich experience. You know what's happening and why just from the looks on people's faces. No need for exposition to be spewed onto the audience. We know what's happening and we know why.

Also, Tom Hardy nailed it. His look at the end of the film when the German soldiers are coming to get him is perfect. He did the right thing by going back to save the destroyer and the hundreds of men on board.

Loved it.

SB

Re: Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk

You're right.
Maybe they just couldn't find a flyable E, for whatever reason.
Mildly annoying, but it's a small enough detail that it won't detract from my enjoyment of it.
Like the beaded dog-tag chains in Saving Private Ryan. Great movie, but those beads make me seethe with rage :lol

I think there are only two Flying Me-109E models in the world currently. And I think the last flying G model had a landing gear failure a few years ago.
So the Buchon birds may have been the only thing they could get a hold of.
The Heinkel He-111 were defiantly CGI since the last flying one crashed in 2003.
They could have used Fw-190's since they were flown at Dunkirk also and there are a few full scale flying reproductions around.

I think there are only two Flying Me-109E models in the world currently. And I think the last flying G model had a landing gear failure a few years ago.
The Heinkel He-111 were defiantly CGI since the last flying one crashed in 2003.
They could have used Fw-190's since they were flown at Dunkirk also and there are a few full scale flying reproductions around.
No, the Butcher Bird was introduced in August 1942, well after the events at Dunkirk. Also, there are several flying G model 109s. The Emils are rare, that's true, but I'd rather have used digital footage than a wrong airplane alltogether.

Sent from my Lenovo A1010a20 using Tapatalk

I have issues with this film. I was completely unattached emotionally to anyone in this movie. I'm not a fan of the nonlinear convergence. Other than the headache the constant 4/4 drubbing the music gave my wife, I have no memory of any other music myself except for the obligatory swell during the arrival of the small boats.
There are lots of beautiful shots. But that's pretty much it. I walked out of the theater with an experience of experiencing the action, but nothing of substance lingers. It's almost forgettable other than the visuals.
What I find most disappointing is the lack of context. Sure, a ton of Brits are trying to get out of France because they are surrounded, No explanation of why the Germans didn't come charging in. (Some say Hitler's worst decision in the war) There appears to be three planes apiece fighting the entire battle. No mention of the 40,000 French soldiers who stood firm so that the others may evacuate.
Even the little boats mostly ferried people from the beaches to the destroyers. It wasn't like the little boats carried hundreds of thousands of men back to England.
It's an epic in an intimate setting, a few people, a few ships, some bad stuff happening.
I get why people are liking this film, I understand the good reviews, but to me it's a visual treat but an empty and sometimes sloppily edited experience, and I seriously doubt I'd ever watch it again.

I really enjoyed it, though having it told chronologically would have been fine with me.

Also: the voice giving the pilots their orders at the beginning was Michael Caine.

I thought the movie was good, but I don't think it ever gave a true sense of the scale of the actual evacuation. The movie seemed more like 10 boats rescued 500-1000 guys, than 800 boats rescuing over 300,000.

I finally watch it in Imax (second time); it still gives me chills. Hans zimmer did a great job, I absolutely love the ticking music all through the movie until it suddenly stops once the soldiers are in the train. I don't know how people are detached from the characters. It's not about someone's story, it's about all of the soldiers stories, the real unity that comes from a situation like this. Not once we get to see the enemy's face, and I don't remember a war film like this... Maybe expect DAS BOOT but that happens on the other side :p. Dunkirk definitely became one of my favourite war movie! With "enemy at the gates" x)

I think the Heinkel was a large radio controlled plane,....there were radio controlled fighters used also

MLR_2307a.jpg

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/dunkirk.html

J

That was a treat ! And I didn’t get to see in IMAX, so now I have to find a theatre that has it to really, fully experience it. In some ways, it’s a quiet war film, pretty rare. Not sure how enjoyable on a regular TV at home.

I haven't see it yet, so don't tell me how it turns out! :) Did anyone else see the idiot writers who were complaining about lack of women and minorities in this? I guess those people didn't pay any attention whatsoever in history class.

I watched this over the weekend and was a little disappointed. The movie was good and it had stunning visuals. It just wasn't what I expected. It is a war movie without any war in it, apart from a few dogfights. One could watch this movie and not know what time frame it was in. There was one mention of the British EF being surrounded by the "enemy". No mention of who that may be. You don't even see a german soldier until the very end when they take the pilot into custody and they were blurry and out of focus. This film is more like a drama or psychological thriller. You can see the horrors of was on the faces of the guys as they try to escape. As someone pointed out above, the "miracle" of Dunkirk looked like 10 boats. Come on, this is the age of CGI add some more freaking boats in the background!! This was a monumental moment in history. This movie makes the scale feel too small.

All in all, it's not bad. I have no need to rewatch this movie. I usually watch Private Ryan, Band of Brother, and the Pacific at least once a year.

I watched this over the weekend and was a little disappointed. The movie was good and it had stunning visuals. It just wasn't what I expected. It is a war movie without any war in it, apart from a few dogfights. One could watch this movie and not know what time frame it was in. There was one mention of the British EF being surrounded by the "enemy". No mention of who that may be. You don't even see a german soldier until the very end when they take the pilot into custody and they were blurry and out of focus. This film is more like a drama or psychological thriller. You can see the horrors of was on the faces of the guys as they try to escape. As someone pointed out above, the "miracle" of Dunkirk looked like 10 boats. Come on, this is the age of CGI add some more freaking boats in the background!! This was a monumental moment in history. This movie makes the scale feel too small.

All in all, it's not bad. I have no need to rewatch this movie. I usually watch Private Ryan, Band of Brother, and the Pacific at least once a year.

It took eight days to evacuate the 338,000,....over 7,500 were rescued on the first day,...so I'd say it was a fair representation of the boats that were there for that time

J

It took eight days to evacuate the 338,000,....over 7,500 were rescued on the first day,...so I'd say it was a fair representation of the boats that were there for that timeJ
Maybe if the movie is supposed to represent the events of day 1.

According to Wikipedia, there were over 38 destroyers present as well as 800-1000 small boats. You see nothing like that represented in the film. According to the subtitles in the film, the events on the beach represent 1 week, the events on the boat represent 1 day, and the Spitfire scenes represent 1 hour.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back