Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

[*Side note: Oh, my god the Twitter meltdown when Pablo confirmed the correct pronunciation for this ship's name. I am astonished so many people 1) didn't know and 2) refuse to accept that it's "TAN-tih-vee".]

--Jonah

Whoa whoa whoa....TAN-tih-vee?!

I prefer the original pronunciation: Rebel Blockade Runner. It was good enough for several decades, it's good enough for ILM and it's good enough for me!

Rogue One's origins were before Mickey Mouse stepped in.
Pretty sure TFA was all under the Mouse House right?

This could explain some things.

The Solo film being full on Mouse House too.

In my best Comicbook Guy voice, “Erm, that “Thug” & “Blind-Guy” were “Guardians of the Whills” and like more than a nod to Akira Kurosawa.” “They are of epic import to the very foundation of “Adventures of Luke Starkiller, as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars”; as we almost knew it by.

View attachment 779634

But seriously, they were an amazing choice, from a certain point of view.

I love Baze Malbus and Chirrut Imwe! :D Rogue One's characters definitely makes you love and care for them. Whomever wasn't invested in the characters in Rogue One were more than likely not interested in the idea for the movie from the outset.

Whoa whoa whoa....TAN-tih-vee?!
I prefer the original pronunciation: Rebel Blockade Runner. It was good enough for several decades, it's good enough for ILM and it's good enough for me!

Aw, man. :facepalm Here, too? And "several decades"? The name first appears in the Star Wars novelization. The pronunciation was locked in in the radio drama. I don't know that six months before the film and four years after constitute "decades". :p

Aw, man. :facepalm Here, too? And "several decades"? The name first appears in the Star Wars novelization. The pronunciation was locked in in the radio drama. I don't know that six months before the film and four years after constitute "decades". :p

Don't know what you are talking about. ILMers call it the Blockade Runner, it was always called the Blockade Runner as far as I can remember. The toys called it the Blockade Runner. Topps called it the Blockade Runner. I bet if you find a novelization circa 1977 it was called the Blockade Runner.

You can buy the Expanded Universe garbage all you want, but I'm old enough to remember better than that.

Blockade Runner, or Corellian Corvette would be the type of ship. Tantive IV would be this particular ship's name. Anyway, I'm going to keep saying it the same way. I mean, Lando pronounces Han's name weird and everyone seems to be ok with that.

I can't ever remember hearing the words "Tantive Four" said together out loud by a human and there hasn't been a day since I was 7 that I haven't at least thought about star wars.
If I have I seriously can't recall it. I have of course read it.

Blockade runner, I've heard hundreds of times in documentaries and personal conversations with my mates.

It's a bit like "at at" rather than "ay-tee ay-tee". and to a lesser extent "chicken walker" rather than "ay-tee ess-tee".

But then I will always say "star wars" "empire" and "jedi" :)

And I'm old enough to remember before there was an "Expanded Universe". There was just Star Wars. I'd read the novelization a decent number of times by the time the radio drama came out on NPR in '81. Alan Dean Foster got the name from George when he put it in the novel. Brian Daley got the pronunciation from George when he was writing the radio drama script.

Some stuff was more "out there" than other stuff, through the '80s. I put more stock in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels than I did Archie Goodwin's newspaper comic strips, for instance. But the stuff that was directly relating to some adaptation of the actual film -- the kids' storybook, the radio drama, the novelization... Anything that didn't contradict, I understood, even at that tender age, was additional layers of detail the movie wasn't equipped to deliver. The name of Leia's ship was one of those things.

What ILM called things can be problematic. If that ship is only a "Rebel Blockade Runner" that makes it pretty silly to try to insist you're not a Rebel ship. The X-Wing, Y-Wing, and TIE Fighter are called that because that was the shorthand on the ILM stage, referring to their shapes. If those are the in-universe names, too, then that indicates the language they speak has a letter X like ours and a letter Y like ours, or the fighter shape-name thing wouldn't work. But Kenner got their toy names from the internal ILM nicknames and we the fans were the ones who had to just accept it. I'm fine with corvettes like that being used by the Rebels as Imperial blockade runners, but that doesn't make it the ship's name, which has existed in print since November of 1976.

Glad this thread is getting a little love again.

I bought into all the characters big time.
Sure there were a couple of dodgy acting moments but that's not exactly unheard of in Star Wars.There were also some outstanding acting moments.

I always knew it was called that, it's just I never heard anyone say it.

Edit I can't have "always" known... I thought it said it in the comic but it doesn't, Just had a look.

Last edited:
And I'm old enough to remember before there was an "Expanded Universe". There was just Star Wars. I'd read the novelization a decent number of times by the time the radio drama came out on NPR in '81. Alan Dean Foster got the name from George when he put it in the novel. Brian Daley got the pronunciation from George when he was writing the radio drama script.

Some stuff was more "out there" than other stuff, through the '80s. I put more stock in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels than I did Archie Goodwin's newspaper comic strips, for instance. But the stuff that was directly relating to some adaptation of the actual film -- the kids' storybook, the radio drama, the novelization... Anything that didn't contradict, I understood, even at that tender age, was additional layers of detail the movie wasn't equipped to deliver. The name of Leia's ship was one of those things.

What ILM called things can be problematic. If that ship is only a "Rebel Blockade Runner" that makes it pretty silly to try to insist you're not a Rebel ship. The X-Wing, Y-Wing, and TIE Fighter are called that because that was the shorthand on the ILM stage, referring to their shapes. If those are the in-universe names, too, then that indicates the language they speak has a letter X like ours and a letter Y like ours, or the fighter shape-name thing wouldn't work. But Kenner got their toy names from the internal ILM nicknames and we the fans were the ones who had to just accept it. I'm fine with corvettes like that being used by the Rebels as Imperial blockade runners, but that doesn't make it the ship's name, which has existed in print since November of 1976.

Call it what you will. It is a fictitious ship from a movie. Up till about 2000, all the licensees called it a Blockade Runner. So please don't pretend like it's not correct, or you are some how more enlightened, because you call it by it's newer name.

"Tantive IV" dates to 1980. Not 2000.
"Corellian Corvette" came into play via West End Games, around 1987.

However, I have no problem with it being called the "Rebel Blockade Runner" here in the real world. In-universe, they would never have called it that. It was just what Antilles claimed, an Alderaanian consular ship.

1977 Topps Star Wars Series 3

D77E06E5-AEA9-4717-85C4-AFCF4BFADC29.jpeg

60819BAF-CC23-47E6-9857-7635ACAD950A.jpeg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back