Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
This is the post-release thread for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story with spoiler discussion.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailer #2 (Official) - YouTube

Alan Cerny from Coming Soon on Rogue One:

31605398625_40eea90a3e_o.png

NordlingCS: ROGUE ONE is the best STAR WARS film since EMPIRE, and the best film of the year. It is tremendously great.

NordlingCS: Perspective: when I came out of TFA, my response was measured. Lots to like, lots not as much. Not this time. ROGUE ONE... I'm still crying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why the Empire is viewed in negative way. Its implied though out the movies that the galaxy is ruled in a manner like the Roman Empire. I saw the movie on Saturday at the premiere and there were no direct examples of why life without Jedi and the galactic senate is oppressing. I don't watch Rebels and maybe that perspective is displayed on that show.

Although it was great seeing Darth Vader again I'm a little indifferent to how he was portrayed. The last events in Rogue One happen moments before Tantive IV is captured and boarded by Vader and this crew. Throughout the OT we don't see him lift throw people using the Force. His duel with Obi Wan was geriatric.

I just figured that the kind of things that happen in totalitarian regimes are rampant but not really discussed in the films. People mentioned having no love for the empire without specifics. Maybe it's taxation, labor camps, a draft, dissenters being executed, who knows. The empire being evil was never as issue with me.
I liked Vader more than I thought I would, and there were some really good surprises. Overall I thought it was ten minutes too long but I feel that way about most movies.
I'm not going to give anything away until opening day, but my wife and I enjoyed TFA more after initial viewing as this was darker, but this was a good movie. I need to see it again before pronouncing my final judgement as the sound was a bit off where I was sitting and I think I missed some dialogue.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the Empire is viewed in negative way. Its implied though out the movies that the galaxy is ruled in a manner like the Roman Empire.
Dat time Rome leveled Carthage tho. :p

I view the Republic more like pre-Caesarian Rome, and the Empire as Rome under Imperial rule. The corruption just became too much and the Republic collapsed under the decadence of their leaders, while the intelligent and conniving took advantage of the turmoil and came out on top.

I saw the movie on Saturday at the premiere and there were no direct examples of why life without Jedi and the galactic senate is oppressing. I don't watch Rebels and maybe that perspective is displayed on that show.
Generally, Rebeles does do a good job of showing life of the common man under Imperial rule. People are moved into refugee camps for "the betterment of the Empire" (i.e. building factories where farms and homes once stood). If you object, they enslave you and force you to run the factory. Places of business are forced by law to air only designated Imperial channels. If you make too many waves of objection, they send you to prison, or worse, to be enslaved in mines. Pretty much, it's a lot like North Korea: you have to give 100% loyalty to the Empire. Anything less is likely to get you in trouble.

I pretty much agree with this review. The middle of the movie tossed me out of it a few times, and something the reviewer didn't mention was some of the transmission blocking jumbo jumbo seemed kinda bogus.
Like others have said, it's a Saving ,private Ryan/Band of Brothers kind of feel, gritty and nasty and real, with muddled and nuanced motivations. It's not a walk out of it happy kind of flick, but you do think about it more afterwards.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...wars-movie-since-the-empire-strikes-back.html

Got to see it last night at a special pre-screening. It was simply amazing. Probably the best written and best acted Star Wars movie to date. Cinematography was spectacular as well, with sweeping shots of panoramic vista of its various locales. It's very gritty too, so be advised when bringing younger children, as it does show the brutality of war on both sides. Quite a number of easter eggs for the keen eyed Star Wars fan, and most of them well thought out too, unlike some of the random shout-outs in TFA. The main cast has got good backstories and are better developed than those in TFA. The CGI work on some of the characters are truly remarkable, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond Clu in Tron Legacy; you just wouldn't believe your eyes. Edrio Two-Tubes is downright creepy; I would have liked to see more of him. Only downside for me was Forrest Whitaker's acting as Saw Guererra; not a big fan of the manner in which he spoke. But the biggest thrill was seeing Vader on the big screen again. He is used very sparingly, but man, everytime he was onscreen was a moment of celebration; he is both amazing and terrifying at the same time. Gareth Edwards really outdid himself with this, and I'm sure will make Star Wars fans, new and old, very happy. Definitely will be watching this again... in fact, I'll be seeing it three more times this week! :p

I don't understand why the Empire is viewed in negative way. Its implied though out the movies that the galaxy is ruled in a manner like the Roman Empire. I saw the movie on Saturday at the premiere and there were no direct examples of why life without Jedi and the galactic senate is oppressing. I don't watch Rebels and maybe that perspective is displayed on that show.

Although it was great seeing Darth Vader again I'm a little indifferent to how he was portrayed. The last events in Rogue One happen moments before Tantive IV is captured and boarded by Vader and this crew. Throughout the OT we don't see him lift throw people using the Force. His duel with Obi Wan was geriatric.

Totalitarian regimes come in various flavours. Some are plain evil to the point of widespread terror and genocide (Cambodia) and others will limit your freedoms, but life is not impossible (Franco's Spain or Cuba) For most people the Empire probably falls into that second category. You can have a fairly decent life, you'll have to keep quiet when Stormtroopers walk past and you probably know or heard about people being arrested for many things the regime considers "rebellious". Almost anything better to aspire to could be gotten through the Empire, but at a cost. Corruption is probably rampant, despite all attempts to keep a clean and orderly façade and the Moffs and local governors would be making fortunes off the backs of the common population. The Empire is also notoriously human-centric, if you are an alien (Wookies for example) you're a second-class citizen, you're probably exploited, subject to the whims of those in power, displaced, enslaved or even murdered.

I'm convinced that many planets turned on Palpatine once they realized what kind of deal they got when the rapturous applause died down and reality knocked on the door. They were probably attacked, invaded and bombarded until they all died or surrendered. The Death Star was the logical next step in tightening the iron gauntlet squeezing the galaxy into submission.

I just saw R1. Spoiler free review.

It will never be a classic, it will not stand between The Godfather and Citizen Kane. But as far as Star Wars movies go, it's up there with ESB.

It's a war movie, it's about the bad things that happen in wars and the sacrifices that must be made. Thematically it feels like quite a lot like those British WWII movies like the The Gift Horse, Dambusters or even a Bridge Too Far.

R1 quite dark and gritty but unlike some recent movies it doesn't revel in it. There is room for humor and more than a handful of winks that would make the average Star Wars fan squal with delight.

The effects are gorgeous and extremely well used.

Sadly the main villain is not really interesting and not even well-used. The other characters are quite solid, maybe a bit stereotypical, but otherwise it's all pretty solid. Overall they made a more than fair attempt at linking this movie with ANH, personally I don't feel it quite gets there, there is always a sense of over-exposition and too many details that probably should have remained vague, but it's still quite well done overall.

I think it works much better than the Force Awakens in that it's solidly planted in the Star Wars universe without having to retread a previous movie like TFA did.

If Disney can continue to make interesting film pieces like this set in the Star Wars universe without being bound and tied to the main characters and saga,

And of course the most interesting bit in my opinion, no "mandatory Jedi" stuff.

just a quick question. Knowing this film happens RIGHT before ANH opens, I was hoping that maybe Edwards would insert the "lost" footage of Luke on Tatooine looking up at the capture of the Tantive to close the movie. Anything like that happen? Very spoilery, so PM if you want.

just a quick question. Knowing this film happens RIGHT before ANH opens, I was hoping that maybe Edwards would insert the "lost" footage of Luke on Tatooine looking up at the capture of the Tantive to close the movie. Anything like that happen? Very spoilery, so PM if you want.

I haven't seen the film yet but I know that's a no.

What a mess... Incredibly disappointed.

Although Rogue One successfully captured the feel of the Star Wars universe (and much moreso than TFA in my opinion), the first half was ruined by some of the worst pacing I've seen in a movie. Although the opening scene with Krennic and the Erso family was fine, immediately following that scene and leading up to the final battle was complete discombobulation. Shortly after that opening scene was a period of 5 minutes where the film jumped around to different events happening on 3-4 different planets. This was the worst example of this. While I was trying to process what was happening on one planet (let alone trying to remember the name they displayed on the screen), it already jumped to another and a new scene. Many of these quick scenes throughout the first half ended up being quite pointless as well. What was the point of Bodhi and that truth telling monster or whatever it was? Did that do anything? Throughout the first half, they rarely built a scene or let some tension and suspense grow naturally through the drama. Action alone and by itself does not create tension and suspense, but rather some decent writing would.

What I dislike the most about this is that it detracted from some parts I really enjoyed and would have liked to see more fleshed out rather than jumping to something new every 30 seconds. The moon Jedha was fantastic, yet everything happening on it was going by so fast that you could barely enjoy anything happening in the moment. They brilliantly brought back Tarkin, yet he ended up being wasted as a glorified cameo. How about taking out that pointless jump between 4 different planets in the beginning that could have been summed up in one sentence in the rebel briefing room, and replace it with some more drama between Krennic and the imperials? I would have loved to see more from his character.

While the second half was much better regarding pacing, it still suffered from its own issues. That technical blabber they were spouting was unneeded and overly complicated to the point that I couldn't follow why anyone was doing anything during the battle. Why couldn't it have just been a simple grab the plans and get out with some extra scenes of them sneaking around the base?

Although the last two minutes of the film were pure guilty fan pleasure, I'll admit I did love it and found that to be my favorite part of the film. Yet that's not saying much as I have no idea what I just came back from seeing. It was pretty, and they clearly put a lot of love and work into recreating the Star Wars universe while capturing the feel well. As a film however, it was absurdly messy and disorganized. On top of it all, the music was empty. Absolutely nothing stood out from it. The music in Star Wars might as well be a character in and of itself, and it was sadly missing.

Last edited:
Read at own risk......spoilers!!!!
Love that they did not use the STARWARS LOGO text, and instead just started the movie. Good that they also did not use the starwars intro music. Seeing a CG Tarkin was really amazing, It's hard to judge his appearance and acting, because back in my head i'm thinking "this guy is CG and dubbed because he been dead for 22 years." However, they did a really good job with him. The voice acting and manners looks like the original movie. At the end when we see Digital de-aged leia its WOW... They get better and on doing that sort of thing. I thought it was good in ANTMAN and Captain America Civil War but this it a lot better. The music was good, not as pompous as in the starwars movies but in the same line and fits the movie.
Love the Robot, Its like C3po but with a attitude. Reminds me of the HK-47 droid from the "Knights of the old republic"
Got a few cameos from the old and prequel movies, Nice to see Jimmy Smits again as Bail Organa. Nice to include the Dr Evazan and Ponda Pada in a very brief cameo.
The character that Forest Whitaker place seemed ODD, I know he is shown in the animated serier, but that is nothing i have seen. Got a vibe he was a crazy dude living in a cave.

Also what was up with the mind reading tentacle monster Forest character use on the Imperial Pilot... He saids to the pilot that they will know what ever he is hiding but that his mind with be Frak up....It does not seem to have happen with the pilot.?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back