Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

As for the use of comedy in tense moments, I can understand the argument, but personally see the Han/Chewie moment with the Guavian Death Gang as similar in nature to the OT examples of Han’s line “You’re gonna die here, y’know... convenient” or Leia reuse of the “I love you/I know” as she readies her blaster in ROTJ. An indication that even though the heroes are down, they’re not out, just waiting for the right moment. Keeping calm in those situations, I guess.

But you're missing the most egregiously wrong thing about the Guavian Death Gang scene. It's not just that Chewie's head shake was for a cheap laugh and removed all tensiion and sense of peril from the scene. It's that Chewie was portrayed out of character. Chewie *contradicts* Han, in effect taking the side of the bad guys. Chewie would *never* do that when they're at blaster point, where the bad guys can see that he's calling out Han's lie.

Sure, among friends in a safe environment, like the Med Lab, he'll laugh at Han's expense when Leia rips him. But that's totally different.

Well, you're right about Chewie not wanting to make the droid laugh. lol But of course he was putting the scare into the mouse droid to amuse Han and Luke! Did you watch the whole clip, and his expression at the end?? How happy and pleased he was with his intimidation performance! That mouse droid was harmless, and he knew it. Chewie was playfully putting a scare into it, to get a rise out of his two buddies. C'mon, man! If you can't see that, there's no reaching you.
That moment when he looks at Luke after the mouse droid rolls away--the slight shrug and head tilt using body language as if to say, "Well, that was easy"--is one of my all-time favorite Chewie moments.

1) ANH - roaring mischievously at the mouse droid
2) ANH - his line, "That old man's mad."
3) ESB - laughing at Leia's "nerfherder" dis to Han
4) ESB - blurting out "Yes!" when Lando asks if anyone is hungry
5) ESB - laughing hysterically at 3PO when he's put his head on backwards (btw, Peter told me this is his favorite Chewie scene ever)

How you could watch that wonderful scene--number 5 above--which runs the full emotional spectrum, from heartbroken sorrow to playful laughter and joy, and call Chewbacca a "paper thin character", is beyond me.

The Wook

I'm definitely not saying you're wrong but. 2) he clearly says ' man, where'd you findhim'

I don't know where you're from, Greenie, but I realize British accents can be tough for people from other countries--heck, even America--to understand. But if you listen closely here, you can clearly hear him say, "That old man's mad.".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=FD9rlb1QAqM

The Wook

:lol SE Kent, England. The accent is not a problem.
No, I cannot argue with that. But when translated in the final cut, I've always heard ' man, where'd you find him'. Granted, I don't speak Wookiee. :p

:lol SE Kent, England. The accent is not a problem.
No, I cannot argue with that. But when translated in the final cut, I've always heard ' man, where'd you find him'. Granted, I don't speak Wookiee. :p

And here I figured you were probably a Yank in King Arthur's Court, struggling with Peter's accent. What with America and England being two nations divided by a common language, and all.

The Wook

ps~Ummm, that's Shyriiwook we speak.

Chewie and Han discussions belong in another thread. As stated, neither one are in Rogue One.
Agreed. I probably wouldn't have commented on what was already a thread tangent if I'd have known one parenthetical example in my post would drag the thread fully off course. Things never went back to what I'd been saying in the first place either, unfortunately.

Lesson learned, I'll look to discuss elsewhere.

-we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread discussion-

Last edited:
In spite of having a few good scenes, Rogue One was, overall, a terrible Star Wars movie. It'd have been nice if they'd developed a few of the characters during the re-shoots, because K2-SO's death is the only one I gave AF about. Of course, that would remedy just one of its myriad problems.

Yes, it's the best of the Disney Wars films. But my God, what a low bar that is to clear.

The Wook
I swear you are most definitely a troll.

I swear you are most definitely a troll.

postcountBIG.jpg

Hey so I just rewatched R1 last night and I have to say.......I still enjoyed it. It's flaws are all still there, the characters are still mostly underdeveloped (k2so and Chirrut are the exception) I don't why Jyn has to go out onto a flimsy gantry to realign a dish for gods sake but the pacing of the film really worked for me. They ramp up the action and the speed pretty early in this film and they don't stop. It's got that dirty dozen/ band of brothers feel to it and that gives this film some legs I reckon.

For me R1 is fast becoming part of my head canon :)

Hey so I just rewatched R1 last night and I have to say.......I still enjoyed it. It's flaws are all still there, the characters are still mostly underdeveloped (k2so and Chirrut are the exception) I don't why Jyn has to go out onto a flimsy gantry to realign a dish for gods sake but the pacing of the film really worked for me. They ramp up the action and the speed pretty early in this film and they don't stop. It's got that dirty dozen/ band of brothers feel to it and that gives this film some legs I reckon.

For me R1 is fast becoming part of my head canon :)
The characters are underdeveloped in Rogue One? Can you please elaborate on that. People says that but they never explain it at all.

The characters are underdeveloped in Rogue One? Can you please elaborate on that. People says that but they never explain it at all.

It all depends on how you look at things I guess :) But for me the film doesn't spend much time on a lot of the core cast so there's not the opportunity for them to more complicated or rounded out. I find Felicity Jones deliveries a bit wooden at times, I don't always believe what she's saying. That might be because of the restrictions on the character (eg abandoned child doesn't trust easily) so it limits the range she can deliver in. Same with Diego Luna's character he's just a bit 2 dimensional. Same with the Pilot

But if you look at the film as having an ensemble cast with Jyn and Cassian not being the leads it works better.

anyway just my 2c :)

Most of their arcs feel cheap. They are one dimensional. They never seem to develop the "family" vibe they seemed to try and cultivate with their rag-tag group.

I also rewatched this recently and it's still my favorite Disney SW film by a long shot.

I found the characters a little under developed as well but didn't really mind since they were all pretty much doomed from the start anyway. It was a fun ride and shoehorned into the story as a decent in-between-quel. The best SW fan film I've seen so far. ;)

I've probably wrote this a million times, but I've nothing else to do, so... :)

R1 had all the trappings of something phenomenal that was full of positives, but I was let down by a couple of things:

Krennic was weak and uncharismatic. Either one of those things alone I could have endured, but not both. I had hoped for him to be THE morally ambiguous Star Wars villain that was so damn cool you couldn't help but root for him even when he was a *******. But he was just too pathetic. For me, he was the one character that couldn't have afforded to be one-dimensional.

The Chirrut/Baze combo. The whole "I am one with the Force..." thing resonated with me only as annoying shlock. Their presence felt like an unneeded contrivance. The scene with flipping the switch on the beach was facepalm material. If their time was spent developing the other three principal heroes (and Jyn's relationship with her dad), I felt I could have had the weighty film I had hoped for. I still say that the exchange between Cassian and Jyn back on the ship after the assassination attempt-turned-battle was one of the heaviest in the Star Wars universe. The tension was palpable, IMO. There was a great story to tell (at least in part) regarding Cassian's past and motivations.

Even with the Vader scene that I found a bit corny, the distracting score, and the jarring Tarkin/Leia CGI, I still think there's a skeleton of a great movie within R1. In fact, I'd say it's probably still a great SW movie, just not to my personal taste.

I've probably wrote this a million times, but I've nothing else to do, so... :)

R1 had all the trappings of something phenomenal that was full of positives, but I was let down by a couple of things:

Krennic was weak and uncharismatic. Either one of those things alone I could have endured, but not both. I had hoped for him to be THE morally ambiguous Star Wars villain that was so damn cool you couldn't help but root for him even when he was a *******. But he was just too pathetic. For me, he was the one character that couldn't have afforded to be one-dimensional.

The Chirrut/Baze combo. The whole "I am one with the Force..." thing resonated with me only as annoying shlock. Their presence felt like an unneeded contrivance. The scene with flipping the switch on the beach was facepalm material. If their time was spent developing the other three principal heroes (and Jyn's relationship with her dad), I felt I could have had the weighty film I had hoped for. I still say that the exchange between Cassian and Jyn back on the ship after the assassination attempt-turned-battle was one of the heaviest in the Star Wars universe. The tension was palpable, IMO. There was a great story to tell (at least in part) regarding Cassian's past and motivations.

Even with the Vader scene that I found a bit corny, the distracting score, and the jarring Tarkin/Leia CGI, I still think there's a skeleton of a great movie within R1. In fact, I'd say it's probably still a great SW movie, just not to my personal taste.

Star Wars has NEVER been about multi-dimensional characters it's a special effects movie series for kids, the good characters/story is just a bonus. Do you think that the boringly perfect no-personality rey in the sequel trilogy is a multi-dimensional character? Hell no she's not. At least Jyn has a character arc. Rogue One is a very, very well done love letter to the original Star Wars movie and the characters in the film grows on the viewer after each viewing. And besides it's not a movie about individuals it's an actual war movie, you're actually supposed to care more about the mission than the individuals and the Vader rampage scene is the best scene with him in it in the whole entire series. The acting by the guys who played the Rebel Fleet Troopers was absolutely phenomenal! You can actually feel their fear coming through the friggin screen! I also find it funny that after 40+ years of Star Wars people are starting to ask asinine questions after Rogue One came out like, "Why didn't Vader just nab the Death Star plans using the force?" or "Why didn't Vader get sucked out into space at the end of Rogue One?" when they could've asked all along of why didn't Vader sniff out the Rebel's hidden fortress in the first 3rd of A New Hope? I just don't understand the hate for Rogue One at all!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back