Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

See I loved R1. But I looked at it like a great spy movie that "took place" in the SW universe. Disney kinda has a history of doing this stuff as well. Look at Winter Soldier. That was a really good spy movie that just happened to involve CA. It could have easily been Bond or the Saint or whoever.

In spite of having a few good scenes, Rogue One was, overall, a terrible Star Wars movie. It'd have been nice if they'd developed a few of the characters during the re-shoots, because K2-SO's death is the only one I gave AF about. Of course, that would remedy just one of its myriad problems.

Yes, it's the best of the Disney Wars films. But my God, what a low bar that is to clear.

The Wook

Even the Mighty Chewbac is wrong from time to time. This time he is full of spit.

Wook hates everything that happened in the entire world after 1980. Fact.

Untrue. There are many films I love after 1980:

* Raiders of the Lost Ark
* Excalibur
* Stripes
* E.T.
* Terminator
* This Is Spinal Tap
* Ghostbusters
* T2
* Schindler's List
* Jurassic Park
* The Shawshank Redemption
* Dumb and Dumber
* Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
* Austin Powers: IMOM
* Gladiator

And there are a few others I could put on that list. But honestly, none since Gladiator. Hollywood movies suck the last two decades. There ain't an all-time classic in the bunch. (Excluding animated films.)

The Wook

Last edited:
I was just joking The Wook . I'm a lot like that too. I have 5 movie posters in my living room and they are all from 1981 and 1982. As a child of the 70's I find that most modern movies just aren't for me. It's interesting to see what my 16 year old son considers are 'great' movies compared to what I think. He has better taste than most of his peers but most movies are marketed to his age demographic and not ours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just joking @The Wook . I'm a lot like that too. I have 5 movie posters in my living room and they are all from 1981 and 1982. As a child of the 70's I find that most modern movies just aren't for me. It's interesting to see what my 16 year old son considers are 'great' movies compared to what I think. He has better taste than most of his peers but most movies are marketed to his age demographic and not ours.

Oh, I know you were kidding. lol

The thing is, though, some folks here might not know that, so I threw together a quick list to show that I'm not, in fact, a pre-1980 snob, but rather, a pre-2000 snob. ;)

The Wook

In spite of having a few good scenes, Rogue One was, overall, a terrible Star Wars movie. It'd have been nice if they'd developed a few of the characters during the re-shoots, because K2-SO's death is the only one I gave AF about. Of course, that would remedy just one of its myriad problems.

Yes, it's the best of the Disney Wars films. But my God, what a low bar that is to clear.

The Wook

I reckon the OT set the bar, the PT went right under it and Disney SW is competing in an entirely different event it's just that the outfits look the same! :)

But more seriously I've kind of given up making the comparisons between the films(ok I made one like 15 posts ago :p) I don't think of the films as a single body of work anymore. I reckon it's Lucas-era and post-Lucas SW.

What does everyone else think about this?

That's what it is for me. Everything after the Lucas departure is a fan film. Roast me, have at it. I know plenty that feel this way.

I feel the same way. Star Wars ended in 1983 as far as I'm concerned. Everything past that is fanfic and I haven't really liked any of it. R1 was the closest they got to feeling like "classic Star Wars", but it never reached that level. I honestly don't think it ever will because they just don't make movies like the OT anymore.

I reckon the OT set the bar, the PT went right under it and Disney SW is competing in an entirely different event it's just that the outfits look the same! :)

But more seriously I've kind of given up making the comparisons between the films(ok I made one like 15 posts ago :p) I don't think of the films as a single body of work anymore. I reckon it's Lucas-era and post-Lucas SW.

What does everyone else think about this?

Star Wars '77 set the bar. ESB '80 matched it. And every movie since has failed, to varying degrees (and none have come close) to reach the level achieved by the theatrical cuts of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. The SEs have also failed.

It was SW77 and ESB80 that set the bar, set the absolute standard, for what should and should not be in a Star Wars movie. And the extent to which a fan understands that standard, is known as, and measured as, his SWIQ.

The Wook

Star Wars '77 set the bar. ESB '80 matched it. And every movie since has failed, to varying degrees (and none have come close) to reach the level achieved by the theatrical cuts of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. The SEs have also failed.

It was SW77 and ESB80 that set the bar, set the absolute standard, for what should and should not be in a Star Wars movie. And the extent to which a fan understands that standard, is known as, and measured as, his SWIQ.

The Wook

So, all art that doesn't reach the level of the Sistine Chapel, Michelanglo's David and the Mona Lisa are crap? If it's not as good as the best, it's not enjoyable? Tough crowd.

Although, I'll stipulate on one thing: Cubism is crap!

So, all art that doesn't reach the level of the Sistine Chapel, Michelanglo's David and the Mona Lisa are crap? If it's not as good as the best, it's not enjoyable? Tough crowd.

I don't accept your analogy. It would be more accurate to compare it to someone trying to create something new but that is true to the style of Michelangelo. Well, if this new guy--let's call him, "Kathleen"--was painting a chapel ceiling depicting--I'll have to make something up here that Michelangelo never painted but might have--let's say, of The Sermon on the Mount--and "Kathleen" decided to add some 21st century graffiti to the painting, to appeal to and attract millennials to the church, then "Kathleen" would have a low MIQ.

The Wook

Although, I'll stipulate on one thing: Cubism is crap!

A better analogy:

newcoke021009.jpg

In my view the best judges as to how “good” any new “Star Wars” film is aren’t the fans in their forties and fifties who were kids when the OT came out- it’s kids today who are the same ages as those adults were back in the 1970s-1980s.

For everyone else, nostalgia creeps in too much. For many older fans, every film since the OT has been a disappointment when it hasn’t made them feel the way they did when they were young, watching Star Wars for the first time. Truthfully, there are a number of things that the newer movies do better than the OT (finally adding some actual dimension to Chewie as a character instead of as a prop that the others had one-sided conversations with, for example), but no amount of cameos or subtle nods will recapture exactly the same “magic.”

Last edited:
Truthfully, there are a number of things that the newer movies do better than the OT (finally adding some actual dimension to Chewie as a character instead of as a prop that the others had one-sided conversations with, for example)

Clearly, you've never seen The Empire Strikes Back. Chewbacca is highly engaged in that film, and initiates all sorts of dialogue.

The Wook

I’d say all through the original trilogy his main contribution is giving Han a platform to make jokes. As far as I’m concerned he’s paper-thin as a character. Granted, it’s difficult to give depth to someone who doesn’t speak understandably and doesn’t have subtitles, but (as said originally) in my view he accomplishes this a bit more in the sequel films thus far. The structure of the OT is turned on it’s head, in a way, in that often it’s Chewie who is telling the jokes.

But sure, make dismissive comments about my having never seen one of the films I’m referring to... :rolleyes

The sentence about Chewie is an example, a tiny part of what I was saying. The impossible chase for nostalgia is the main point.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back