Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

My only complaints other than the lack of John Williams...

The TK and Vader costumes looked less "real" than Tarkin OR Leia...

Mic drop.

The Star Destroyers looked really off to me, they looked too white and not defined, like they didn't do a final layer render of them, or were they models? They just didn't look right to me.

oh, and HATED the music and for whatever reason the Death Troopers constantly sounded like radio chatter or something... EVERY time they were on screen.

- Jeff

They're based on the ANH model, which is lighter in color than the ESB models.

- - - Updated - - -

I have quibbles and caveats, but I loved it. I won't write a proper review but will be posting random observations and questions that might give an overall critical impression, but I *do* like it! :)

I liked the AT-ACT *action*, although I still don't like the design. There was absolutely no reason to redesign them. (except toys, yes I know....same observation concerning the new TIEs)

I HATE the fact that one of the TV ads spoiled the X-Wing save when the AT-ACT was hit by the rocket and recovered. After that I stopped watching ads and trailers.

Why are moisture vaporators needed on a wet planet?

All the "go there and hit this switch and then run over there and pull this lever" felt like a Dark Forces game.

Sweet Jeebus are Senators useless. They learned nothing from the loss of the Republic, did they? Disband? Dodonna right there should have sent them packing with a "looks like we'll no longer be needing a council."

Loved the hammerhead corvette sequence.

Planetary shield? The power requirements for such a thing is mind boggling. Much more than what would be needed for even the DS---which does NOT have them. Just not feasible within the established technological SW standards. Plus, Spaceballs did it.

Unfortunately it seems Vader's mask is NOT scuffed up (nor the dome smudged) at the end after his melee. Missed a golden opportunity to make it look like the beginning of ANH with all the paint chips (and yes, the infamous c-scar.) To explain it, all they had to do was have one of the deflected blaster bolts hit something on the wall and cause an explosion with lots of debris. Looks like the right tusk didn't have black on it, either. ....but what ANH touches they DID do are great.

The DS built-in weakness is if you blow up the reactor it won't work? Well, NS Sherlock, you don't need to build THAT in, it's the basic principle behind any powered vehicle---no power, no go. It's just poor phrasing. All he had to say was he had built in a MEANS of creating a chain reaction that would REACH the reactor.

- - - Updated - - -

At one point K-2SO is told to set a course....while they're in hyperspace. You are already ON a set course. You have to drop out of hyperspace to set a new one. This isn't Star Trek.

People zip around the galaxy way too quick, which is a recurring problem with SW movies made since the OT.

Couple of nice shots were the rebel ships bouncing off the newly closed shield and near the end, Vader's star destroyer suddenly appearing from hyperspace.

Must say, never even noticed the score enough to like it or hate it, was too engrossed in the film.

Also what was up with the mind reading tentacle monster Forest character use on the Imperial Pilot... He saids to the pilot that they will know what ever he is hiding but that his mind with be Frak up....It does not seem to have happen with the pilot.?
He said it often happens, not always. And the guy IS pretty out of it when they're in their cells. Remember Cassian having to tell him who he was?

- - - Updated - - -

Why is there a crashed X-Wing in the street?
And we get a glimpse of an X-Wing or two when the Whills guys are escaping the temple. But they aren't really an Alliance cell, right? And we never see them use fighters, they seem to be a boots-on-the-ground local resistance. Not another Rebel base. What gives?

I saw Rogue One last night, and I have to agree with many of the comments already made. I really liked it, but have some minor quibbles.

First, since pacing has already been mentioned, I thought it was a bit too fast. There are very few moments when the pace slows even slightly to give the audience a chance to breathe.

Although I thought most of the "Easter Eggs" were well done, the cameo appearance by R2 and 3PO felt forced and out of place. Also, at the screening I attended the audience began clapping and screaming the moment they saw them, so 3POs dialogue was drowned out and I have no idea what he said.

Tarkin and Leia. If I had to guess, I'd say they were a combination of body doubles and CG faces. Quite well done, but several of Tarkin's facial expressions and eye movements didn't look convincingly natural, and the voice actor didn't quite capture Peter Cushing's voice convincingly either. And if Leia's face wasn't CG, the makeup sure made it look as if it was.

K-2SO. I thought Alan Tudyk did a wonderful job with the voice, but would have preferred that not every line of his dialogue was designed to get a laugh.

Also, yes, John Williams' absence was noticeable. The score wasn't horrible, but it rarely supported the movie the way Williams' scores do.

That being said, for the most part I thought it worked well as an addendum to the episodic Star Wars story, and look forward to seeing it again.

Why is there a crashed X-Wing in the street?
And we get a glimpse of an X-Wing or two when the Whills guys are escaping the temple. But they aren't really an Alliance cell, right? And we never see them use fighters, they seem to be a boots-on-the-ground local resistance. Not another Rebel base. What gives?

X-wings aren't just a ship for the Rebellion, they are just a ship that has a myriad of uses and there were plenty of them around.

Just got back from watching it twice.
To put it simply, loved it.
As with everyone, the score was just plain absent.
Kept waiting for the music to come out like a punch, but never did.
To bad too, cause there were many opportunities for it.
I also agree that K-2's comical lines were alittle much.
That was my one problem with TFA, too many humorous lines.
I feel the mix of costumes, creatures, vehicles and ships was perfect.
Much like the original, where not one feature overpowered another.

My last comment... Vader.
Holy $#!+!
I would have watched a Justin Bieber concert, just to watch the last 10 minutes of the movie.
And I'm so glad I got to share the experience with my nephew.

Last edited:
One thing occurs to me. We know red and gold leaders survive as they are in the attack on the death star. If the plans were transmitted to the rebel fleet wouldn't they have a copy too?

I like it a lot and the cameos were great. But I couldn't figure out how did Dr Evazan and and Ponda escape Jedha in time from the death star when pretty much no one else did. It was a great cameo but that one seemed out of place.

As soon as Tarkin spoke, I knew it was Guy Henry but it looked like Peter Cushing and it was done so much better than Jeff Bridges or Arnie. It would have been harder to except his absense or a different face. Brave move for SW but it maintains continuity better than the other prequels.
Loved the seventies hair, side burns and moustaches and the spliced ANH footage.
The end was exactly what I hoped for, Tantive IV jumped to light speed, I drove home, put on ANH and by that time the destroyer had caught them up.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back