Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Just got back very pleased with the film far better than TFA however where TFA scored with the music score this was awful - sorry just not star wars more your brass band in an empty park such a shame.

Interestingly my lad said he didn't like Vader he was too agile in those final scenes - he's 12.

The extremely positive reviews leading up to Rogue One (heck, the whole experience following it) led me looking forward to it very eagerly. Still, this wasn't like a saga film, so I was fairly even tempered about it. I even remained fairly spoiler free, I sure knew a few things Tarkin and Leia fell in my lap), had some assumptions (they all die); but, after all - we know the ultimate outcome (the Rebels get the plans).

I liked it quite a bit. Is it the best SW flick since Empire as I've read? No. But, it's still an excellent addition to Star Wars filmdom... as I gush in my Rotten Tomatoes review below.

We're a "geek" forum and this is a spoiler thread - so, I think I'm allowed to elaborate.

The first 1/4 to maybe half of the film felt like a fan film. There seemed to be a little too much fan service, a little too much "hey look at that." We opened to a plot just didn't work and just sorta meandered. If there was ever a need for re-writing, this was it - the beginning of Rogue One needed some serious tightening up.

But, then somewhere along the way... it all clicked. All the pieces fell into place and magic happened.

There are easter eggs aplenty. I think there are whole clips taken from ANH (I swear they just cleaned up and reused footage from the original Death Star attack). I do think Vader was misused - his bacta tank scene just didn't feel like a good fit, that entire initial scene Vader/Krennic scene just didn't feel right either - despite the force choke, he didn't seem intimidating enough. I would've liked to have felt like Vader was on Krennic's back a bit more and like he needed to swoop in a fix his mess... and a little more of Tarkin pulling Vader's leash.

Jyn was solid. She seemed more vulnerable than Rey. I'm sure we'll hear the Mary Sue cries again... but, she was a much more vulnerable character overall than Rey. Everyone else was solid - except maybe Bodhi, the writers just never seemed to know what to do with that character. Once K2 bit it, I knew everyone was doomed - some got fitting deaths, some were a little too fleeting. I still wanted Vader to kill Krennic.

I think we got a little too much Death Star, too. It didn't feel big enough in it's test firing - I know the "big boom" has to be saved for Alderaan and they needed something for Rogue One... but, I'm not sure these 'one reactor' shots were the payoff we needed.

Those are minor nitpicks and overall, didn't really take a whole lot away from the film.

My RT review (basically spoiler free):

Almost perfect.

Rogue One started off a little slow, but by the time you're into the last act - it's a full on, hold-on-tight amazing ride... even though you probably know the inevitable outcome (which was spoiled 39 1/2 years ago).

The cast is solid. The score is solid. The plot weaves and wobbles in a few places... but, in the end it's a great, fun ride. Maybe the direction is a little too modern at times for "Star Wars" but, this isn't the main saga... this is a little side journey, but, it sure is fun seeing being back in this galaxy, far, far away. So many little fun, wonderful easter eggs to make all the fanboys and fangirls squee in delight.

Just got back. Going again tomorrow so I'll see how it holds up.

Best line, "I'm blind!" Lol.

Loved Tarkin. Loved the last 30 minutes. I'm glad I read Catalyst as I felt a bit more connected. Anyone else feel the beginning of the film was too dark? Might have just been my theater but it was really hard to see for a bit.

haha That was great! He was a great character.

ponda baba and dr evazan

These guys! They must have JUST got off of Jeddha and felt so lucky and then went almost directly to Mos Eisley to get a drink to celebrate their survival...

TOTALLY forgot to look for the Ghost in there just so much going on!

Last edited:
What the hell were the death troopers saying? You could not understand any of them. It was like the charlie brown teacher talking. Also hated the soundtrack, just wasn't star wars. Other than that, I loved this movie.

Just saw it - I loved it, my friend loved it except for the TPK aspect.

Please tell me that was a Rexim-Favor SMG that Jyn gave K2SO. I always liked the stormtrooper pistol.

And it took a strong will for me not to giggle like a schoolgirl when they showed Bast Castle...

The bad:

The score bugged me in a few places, where there was an intense build up and I was expecting classic Star Wars themes to let loose.... only to be "treated" to what I could only describe as a sort-of Star Wars theme. Like an illegal chinese imitation sold in a swap meet. Or the score theme used in a parody - close enough that you recognize what it is lampooning, but definitely not what was needed in these scenes. Especially the opening. It needed Star Wars before it switched to what ever that was. Even without the opening crawl. Which it needed.

Not enough Gonk droids.

Tarkin's CGI should have been handled differently. When he was at oblique angles, he looked good. When he was straight on at camera, he looked like a creepy cartoon. Just shouldn't have been done. Not there yet with making it look natural. I'm sure it looked great on a developer's 22" Apple Cinema display, but on the big screen it just didn't work.

TIE striker was useless. I only saw it in one scene... obviously a ruse for marketing more toys, that's it.

Weird titles introducing planets and cities made it feel like cut scenes from a Halo video game.

The good:

Cameos, cameos, cameos.

Blue milk.

X-wings and Y-wings galore.

The Ghost.

Rebel pew pew trooper atop the masassi temple watchtower

Ending sequence leaving us at ANH.

I think his whole line was "are you kidding, I'm Blind! " :p

Once K2 bit it, I knew everyone was doomed - some got fitting deaths, some were a little too fleeting. I still wanted Vader to kill Krennic.
I thought for sure that the K2 droid that k2 messed around in the head with, was going to come back as a "twin" Like as he duplicated his personality to that droid and that it would come down to save them with a ship at the beach in the end.

Interestingly my lad said he didn't like Vader he was too agile in those final scenes - he's 12.
Seeing ANH right after this movie makes him look a little to agile in this one, but he is as agile as this one in the Rotj. Could have been because he fights Obi-wan in ANH... in the last battle they had he lost, so he is taking it easy.

What the hell were the death troopers saying? You could not understand any of them. It was like the charlie brown teacher talking.
I thought at first that i did not hear what they said. Could they have been "Dark Troopers" like from the Dark forces games?

I felt pretty much the same way as JediG60Racer, with most of the same points.I didn't mind the Tarkin as much as I did PL, she looked good at first, but the straight on shot bugged me.

I will go see it again to really soak it all in.

okay so on Yavin 4 they mention contacting a Jedi and then mention something about "she" (meaning the Jedi was female)
Did my wife and I totally misinterpret this?

I thought all this was leading to an Ahsoka Tano appearance.

okay so on Yavin 4 they mention contacting a Jedi and then mention something about "she" (meaning the Jedi was female)
Did my wife and I totally misinterpret this?
If it was the talk with Bail Organa, then they talks about contacting obi-wan, and Bail told them that he will send someone he trust to do that, I think the line was something like : "I would trust her with my life" Meaning princess leia. I don't remember any other Jedi talk.

SPOILERS

I just saw it as well. Started off slow for me with all the planet hopping, I was way disappointed in the score, just did nothing IMO. K-2SO was great, I liked how they made you feel vested in the characters, sad as they slowly started dying which we knew was inevitable. I can't complain about Tarkin, for a guy whose been dead for over two decades, it was a nice attempt to bring him back even if the CGI was a little off.

Loved some of the easter eggs, loved K-2SO saying, "I have a bad feeling about........". The Leia CGI was also a good attempt that made me smile, the best part was watching Vader shred the Rebels at the end. I'm going to see it again tomorrow.......I need to see it again, I was neither disappointed nor blown away.

Just got home from watching it, as far as my position on the movie, it was a 7 out of ten for me, I never understand why story lines go backwards in a film series flash backs ok but please, I see some state that it's better than TFA ..... yea Right!.... I've seen all on first screens since the beginning and prefer a running storyline so in my opinion they only made this movie for anyone under the age of 25...Looking forward to TFA # 2..... lots of kids and young adults in theatre clapping and yelling..... my wife agrees with me also

If it was the talk with Bail Organa, then they talks about contacting obi-wan, and Bail told them that he will send someone he trust to do that, I think the line was something like : "I would trust her with my life" Meaning princess leia. I don't remember any other Jedi talk.
Exactly. Bail says he'll have someone contact him. Mothma asks if the person he means to send can be trusted and Bail says he would trust HER with his life. In other words, he means to send Leia get Obiwan involved.

This incidentally adds a new spin to ANH. Bail seems to think that the Empire has gotten so dangerous that hiding, for old Ben, is no longer an option. They need him, no matter what. The fact that the plans fall into Leia's hands is just a coincidence. She was tasked to get Obiwan, NOT get the plans to Obiwan.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Star Destroyers looked really off to me, they looked too white and not defined, like they didn't do a final layer render of them, or were they models? They just didn't look right to me.

oh, and HATED the music and for whatever reason the Death Troopers constantly sounded like radio chatter or something... EVERY time they were on screen.

- Jeff

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back