1:35 Scale X-Wing Mechanism

Hagoth

Sr Member
This is the 1:35 scale X-Wing mechanism thread for the project that was started in this thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=235509

I have made great progress on this scale with the ability to 3D print an entire functioning unit known as the PM-1B on my printers.

Here is a link to the progress log so far: http://hagoth.wixsite.com/the-brass-ball/mechanisms

A huge shout out to Millennium Falsehood for loaning me his 1:35 kit to do precision fit and function testing with. I could not have completed this phase of the project without his generous support.

...and a few pictures.

Design...

af5cca_dbcb499d1057416a98bf00115287e300~mv2.jpg

Manufacturing...

af5cca_ff14e4baa043432f8f6bdb3511dff7b3~mv2_d_4608_3456_s_4_2.jpg
af5cca_65d9b32d8165443296b21fadfe572847~mv2_d_4608_3456_s_4_2.jpg

Test fitting...

af5cca_3ae0b4632d974881b18639c2c1ba162c~mv2_d_4608_3456_s_4_2.jpg
af5cca_c20ac85ee0fe4019a5968e079ca647db~mv2_d_4608_3456_s_4_2.jpg

Completed working unit,,,

af5cca_dd80129642e94dacb775b9fc5e87be59~mv2_d_2448_2448_s_4_2.jpg

Complete body fit and testing...

af5cca_6b59b684b0394adc995259324ea82056~mv2_d_2448_2448_s_4_2.jpg
af5cca_b789e41bb3654899bc646986730e61cf~mv2_d_2448_2448_s_4_2.jpg

Production units are ready to go.

An assembly and function video is coming soon...

I forgot about this. Weren't you going to sell these for the MPC at one time? Very cool.

Thanks! Still am going to sell them for the 1:48 scale. That scale is going through a redesign so I can print the entire thing on my printers. Two of the critical parts require a printer with a 16 micro resolution and those two parts are most of the cost. Very few people want to pay $90 for the unit. But I will sell it as currently designed to those that do. Once I get a design that I can print myself the cost will be about $40. There will also be a less expensive manual version that will not have a motor drive shaft but will retain the synchronized and anti-wobble features. The adaptability of the design to most X-Wing scales in one form or another is just a matter of time.

The price is tied to the weight. The PM-1B for the Pro Shop 1:35 scale runs at $65.

Last edited:
Any update on these? Looking for the pm 1d for the Hasbro toy.

1:48 MPC is redesigned and shipping. (Thing of beauty) :D
1:35 Pro Shop is shipping.
1:17 Hasbro was in progress but got put on the back burner. I finally have a toy to take measurements from so if/since there is still interest I can bump it back up the priority list.

Definitly still interested. I have scratch built wings well under way with all new parts, nearing time to figure out how they will be mounted. This mechanism would seem to fit the bill nicely. Do you have an estimate on price? If I wanted to buy one of the others you have ready for the smaller sizes, how would I do that? There is no provision on your website that I can see for purchasing these.

1:48 MPC is redesigned and shipping. (Thing of beauty) :D
1:35 Pro Shop is shipping.
1:17 Hasbro was in progress but got put on the back burner. I finally have a toy to take measurements from so if/since there is still interest I can bump it back up the priority list.
I definitely am interested in the Hasbro version and I have the Pro Shop kit too! But the Hasbro one is what I really want.

Definitly still interested. I have scratch built wings well under way with all new parts, nearing time to figure out how they will be mounted. This mechanism would seem to fit the bill nicely. Do you have an estimate on price? If I wanted to buy one of the others you have ready for the smaller sizes, how would I do that? There is no provision on your website that I can see for purchasing these.

Thank you for your patience with the delay in responding. If I don't see a post and respond promptly feel free to e-mail me from my site. If there is a smaller unit that is already produced (1:48 MPC or 1:35 Pro Shop) that you want then just e-mail me with a request. There is no provision yet for direct ordering from the site.

I do not have an estimated price yet for the large Hasbro version. The pricing basically comes down to the weight. The 1:35 scale is $65 + shipping and the Hasbro version will be twice the size. Hopefully not twice the weight but that might give you an idea of the potential price. Trying to make it as light as possible yet strong enough to support the wings. I have started printing and fitting the wing box so prototype work is back in progress.

I definitely am interested in the Hasbro version and I have the Pro Shop kit too! But the Hasbro one is what I really want.

Thank you for the ping. It alerted me to the other posts and questions. :p Hasbro version is back on a front burner. I don't have a time frame for release yet as development gets squeezed in when I can.

Maybe if you can make an automated version for the 1:18 scale X Wing.....it's a barrier for many people who have contacted me once I show how to open up the wings on the Hasbro Hero 1:18 X Wing.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=269971

I followed your conversion thread to open the wings. Very nicely done!

The version of my mechanism I'm doing for the Hasbro toy will be able to be powered by a stepper (not included) or opened manually.

While the Hasbro version is my current priority for X-Wing mechanisms I also want to do one for the T-70 X-Wings and the Ralph McQuarrie concept version. These X-Wing mechanism projects alone guarantee I will never be bored. :lol

Also a nice set of wings would be awesome. There is a wing set I saw but I don't need aluminum wings... and not for the price they cost. They look like excellent quality, but they cost too much for me.

Also a nice set of wings would be awesome. There is a wing set I saw but I don't need aluminum wings... and not for the price they cost. They look like excellent quality, but they cost too much for me.

I’ve seen those and they’re like $300!!...with the hasbro hero you pretty much throw away everything except the fuselage and everything else has to be bought or built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen those and they’re like $300!!...with the hasbro hero you pretty much throw away everything except the fuselage and everything else has to be bought or built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. Granted the end result does look nice, it does start getting crazy when you spend $300-500 on parts for a toy that originally cost something like $28! That's pretty crazy if if think about it. Now I do understand that it takes a lot of work to design and cast/print these parts, but I'm just saying you buy something for $30, then basically throw everything out and use all new parts... crazy :)

I'm actually surprised nobody has done a cast of the fuselage, accurize it and provide a real canopy and cockpit and sell a full kit. Again a bit crazy if you think about it... BUT... I now have two of these ships lol... so call me crazy :)

Well... I have been contemplating doing just that. Designing and printing the wings and fuselage with a fully detailed cockpit and skipping the toy altogether. Call the $20 spent on the toy inspiration...

Well... I have been contemplating doing just that. Designing and printing the wings and fuselage with a fully detailed cockpit and skipping the toy altogether. Call the $20 spent on the toy inspiration...

Essentially what I have done, except save the fuselage. Made my own aluminum skinned wings with mostly 3d printed parts on top. trying to design a new cockpit now, and a small action figure from years ago happened to be in the right scale, so he will become my new pilot.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back