heavily Modified Tomenosuke Blade Runner blaster

Thank you guys for the kind words!

Here is another small update. But as you all know, the devil is in the details.

Cut the slot, painted and weathered the real knob. This knob is a little beat up, which will work for now. But even the knob on the original prop isn't as beat up as this one, so I'll be replacing it soon. For now, here it is:

b2f1ede32f45d0930a1f35213eb66197.jpg

e7d62afd81db774c859daa08c6b454b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, as someone who has an untouched Tomen Pro Retail on its way to him in the mail right now, and is absolutely crazy enough to want to do what you've done here... can you share some details on exactly what steps you took to strip the matte anodizing off and re-finish the Steyr receiver and bolt? I'm already on the 2nd list over at Propsummit for a steel replacement cylinder, and am on the lookout for a steel replacement barrel (missed out on an eBay one just today, anybody got any leads on another run anywhere?) but I was worried it would be impossible to get the receiver to ever look like this because of the matte finish. I'm so stoked to have found this thread if for no other reason than to know what I want to do IS possible!

Check out the run of steel or aluminium barrels Teddz is doing on the project runs page. He's got all the dimensional info from DaveG's published blueprints and some pics of my steel one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the run of steel or aluminium barrels Teddz is doing on the project runs page. He's got all the dimensional info from DaveG's published blueprints and some pics of my steel one.

You know, I actually found his run thread about an hour after I asked this and had meant to come back here and edit my original reply sooner (could have sworn I had checked the project runs section before posting). Anyway, I'll be sure and see about getting in on that run!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you found the run for the barrels and the cylinder.

If your receiver is the matte one, then White vinegar should do the trick. Just keep in mind it can take up to an hour ( give or take) to see full results. You can help the process going over your parts with some steel wool after 20 to 30 minutes.

Let me know if you need any help as you go :D

You know, I actually found his run thread about an hour after I asked this and had meant to come back here and edit my original reply sooner (could have sworn I had checked the project runs section before posting). Anyway, I'll be sure and see about getting in on that run!

Glad you found the run for the barrels and the cylinder.

If your receiver is the matte one, then White vinegar should do the trick. Just keep in mind it can take up to an hour ( give or take) to see full results. You can help the process going over your parts with some steel wool after 20 to 30 minutes.

Let me know if you need any help as you go :D

Nice! I had heard of the white-vinegar trick before (I think maybe on the Tested build of a Tomen kit) but I thought it was for removing existing blueing, not the matte stuff. Can't wait to immediately take my massive investment apart and start soaking it in caustic chemicals! I'll be sure and post my progress. :)

Very fortunate to have gotten a hold of another Tomenosuke blaster and I couldnt be more thankful for the opportunity. Started out as a 2016 HCG, however I've already started converting it to my interpretation of the Police model. The barrel has already been cut and upgraded to a steel barrel. I'm expecting the steel cylinder in the mail any day now form the run over at the Propsummit. The previous owner had started removing some of the finish on the receiver, so I am planning on polishing the hell out of it and re-bluing it to give it as close as possible to a factory finish/ chrome/ blued steel. The grips are the ones I replaced on my worldcon build, so I still have the HCG grips unharmed if I ever want to turn it back to what it was.

DSC_1572.jpg

DSC_1575.jpg

DSC_1574.jpg

Cheers!!

Yup! Gave it a go around with some scotchbrite, some primer and Flat black paint. These are the ones I replaced with the ones you sold to me. Since I wasnt happy with their color and they had sharpie marks on the back, they were the perfect candidate to get painted.

Are those grips just painted? Looks nice!!

I blame this thread and a particularly robust tax return for my ballooning Tomenosuke addiction. :)

Both these builds are gorgeous! I particularly love your take on the police edition, I'm amazed how well the blued metal and matte grips go together.

Care to share where you managed to find a real binding post? I've had the good fortune to get my hands on a mint condition Tomen kit, so instead of "worldconning" my assembled Pro now, I'll be using it to make a Police edition myself. However, before I even get building the kit as a hero version I'm trying to source as many "real" replacement parts as possible, and the binding post is one of the few that continues to elude me...

the binding post is one of the few that continues to elude me...

Look up EE-8 army phone. [emoji106]Should run $30-$50.

EDIT: whoa just looked, and prices seem pretty high right now. If it's over 30-50, just get the TG-5-B telegraph. It comes with 3 of the correct post, not just one like the EE-8

Look up EE-8 army phone. [emoji106]Should run $30-$50.

Ironically, your reply immediately lead me right back to Propsummit (I swear I looked for this there before asking here, but the Summit's search feature is... subpar) and the thread where Prime586 did that spectacular breakdown of the post's history. Anyway long story short: I'm way better armed to track one down now than I was before, so thanks for that, Veektohr!

Ironically, your reply immediately lead me right back to Propsummit (I swear I looked for this there before asking here, but the Summit's search feature is... subpar) and the thread where Prime586 did that spectacular breakdown of the post's history. Anyway long story short: I'm way better armed to track one down now than I was before, so thanks for that, Veektohr!

Yeah when [strike]Joberg[/strike] *Andy* discovered "the other knob" it caused quite a price jump for a while. It would be great to find a way to buy the ones Prime found in that online directory!

Edited for my bad memory, and hasty mobile updates.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back