My Take on Death Star Wall Replica

ikevin1138

So I have been a long time lurker, very into collecting about 15 years ago, got a lot of great things from here and then kinda life does what it does, forgot my old log in and signed up a new having gotten the bug again. So thank you to everyone here for the inspiration. In the last year I have focused on building droids and collecting helmets and wanted a way to display them in my workshop/office. After reading a few inspirational posts here I got to work.

DeathStarWall%20-%201.png

DeathStarWall%20-%202.png

MDF and some LED light tape and lots of planning and sanding later and I am pretty happy with my new display! So thank to you all that take the time to post their builds its inspiring to the rest of us indeed.

Damn that's beautiful lighting. It mostly looks even, what kind of a lighting setup did you go with? :)

For the panel and lighting I originally was going to go acrylic and rope lighting. For the size of the wall the acrylic was a budget buster so I found white plastic rolls on Amazon used for creating light boxes and diffusers in photography. Its not as thick as the acrylic but it looks great for what it cost and was very easy to work with.

My first test with it below, no back light.

IMG_0167.png

I used the rope light as I wanted to be able to have a single plug running out to a wall mounted remote switch to turn it on and off but the rope light was just not even and giving me the effect that I wanted. I added a little to my budget and got 4 sets of LED tape tape from Loews that is meant for under cabinet lighting. Spaced it out evenly and then covered the backer in foil to create a light box to amp up the brightness. Bigger budget I would have used probably 6 LEDs strips. But it turned out to be pretty close to even and VERY bright.

DeathStarWall%20-%201%201.png

Thanks for that great rundown :)
The final look certainly looks great and professional.

I will definitely have to do something similar in the future.

A panel like that is high on my list of things to build, once I get a proper workshop set up. I have a tall, narrow wall where our staircase turns 180° and it still has wires sticking out for a wall-mounted light. I've talked my wife into letting me mount a full-sized panel there to light the staircase.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

For the panel and lighting I originally was going to go acrylic and rope lighting. For the size of the wall the acrylic was a budget buster so I found white plastic rolls on Amazon used for creating light boxes and diffusers in photography. Its not as thick as the acrylic but it looks great for what it cost and was very easy to work with.

I know what you mean about the rope lights and acrylic. I have a similar problem with my Millennium Falcon build but opted NOT to switch it up (I've already put waaaay to much money into it). You've made something truly amazing and captured the look perfectly! Thank you for sharing.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back