The Mummy (2017) (Post-release)

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
IMG_1303.JPG

An ancient princess is awakened from her crypt beneath the desert, bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia, and terrors that defy human comprehension.

From Universal Pictures comes The Mummy -- a highly new terrifying action-adventure epic conducted by the screewnwriter Alex Kurtzman, as part of the shared highly new universe of Universal Monsters.
Thought safely entombed in a tomb deep beneath the unforgiving deserts, an ancient princess (Sofia Boutella) whose destiny was unjustly taken from her is awakened in our current days ,bringing with her malevolence grown over millenia and terrors that defy human comprehension. Now, Nick Morton (Tom Cruise) has the task to set out in a dangerous journey in order to save the Earth and the human race from total apocalypse as well as total extinction ,and on the way, encountering in the enigmatic Dr. Jekyll (Russell Crowe). From the sweeping sands of the Middle East through hidden labyrinths under modern-day London, The Mummy brings a suprising intensity and balance of wonder and thrills in an imaginative new take that ushers in a new world of gods and monsters. In theaters June 2017.

IMG_1303.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Mummy (2017)

While I like the VFX seen so far and the inclusion of Dr. Jekyll as well as the fact that it looks like a standard Cruise action flick (say what you want about him, the man knows how to make an action flick), what worries me is the whole bit with Cruise's character seeming to resurrect after the supposed initial incident. Specifically that I'm more than willing to bet that his character will be endowed with enhanced abilities post-resurrection. While this would be a good thing in most films, here I think it will be not so good, as part of the appeal of the original Universal monster movies was the idea of normal people fighting again supernatural foes. This is why the first Brendan Fraser Mummy film was so good. They were normal people going against the supernatural. The sequels, where Rick and Evie were revealed to be a Medjai holy warrior and the reincarnation of Nefertiri, respectfully, were less well received partly because them being "special" (Evie specifically because of her being able to fight off Anck'sunamun through past life memories of Nefertiri), so the idea of them being average people dragged into a decidedly not average situation and winning was not only lost, but it cheapened the first film's victory.

While I like the VFX seen so far and the inclusion of Dr. Jekyll as well as the fact that it looks like a standard Cruise action flick (say what you want about him, the man knows how to make an action flick), what worries me is the whole bit with Cruise's character seeming to resurrect after the supposed initial incident. Specifically that I'm more than willing to bet that his character will be endowed with enhanced abilities post-resurrection. While this would be a good thing in most films, here I think it will be not so good, as part of the appeal of the original Universal monster movies was the idea of normal people fighting again supernatural foes. This is why the first Brendan Fraser Mummy film was so good. They were normal people going against the supernatural. The sequels, where Rick and Evie were revealed to be a Medjai holy warrior and the reincarnation of Nefertiri, respectfully, were less well received partly because them being "special" (Evie specifically because of her being able to fight off Anck'sunamun through past life memories of Nefertiri), so the idea of them being average people dragged into a decidedly not average situation and winning was not only lost, but it cheapened the first film's victory.
Oh I agree. Even if it looks like your standard Tom Cruise action flick the guy still makes solid action movies. The man remains immensely watchable and makes good choices in his parts nowadays (yes, I even liked him in War of the Worlds). He even has great taste in female leads.

It's the fact that it has Tom Cruise that actually gives me some faith in the project rather than dismissing it entirely out of hand.

But I also agree that a mummy-powered Tom Cruise is completely contrary the genre of monster movies. As a franchise play this is still struggling to not to be an embarrassment.

I think that Universal could make a viable shared monster universe if it didn't try to copy the superhero paradigm so closely with "creature vs. creature".
e.g. right off the top of my head I can conceive of a franchise that begins with Dr. Frankenstein's attempts to create life that include trips to Egypt and Transylvania where he encounters/discovers/provokes occult forces. In his travels he draws the interest of potential allies/enemies including Dr. Jeckyl, Van Helsing etc. Throughout the series of films it doesn't have to be about creatures fighting each other. We can have characters in conflict in the backdrop of creatures come to life. You can go a number of directions with this but it can come across as a long narrative over a series of movies. It would at least be original.

I'm guessing this is not related to the Brendan Fraser movies. So they shouldn't have called it The Mummy.

"it's like being on a roller coaster ride"
"It's going to keep you right at the edge of your seat."
"You're not going to want to take your eyes off the screen."

That sounds like they're plugging last seven Tom Cruise movies.

Impression:

It's going to look great.
Exceptional set pieces.
Suspense and action are going to be great.
Female leads will be stunning.
Great chases.
Lots of running.
Lots of pyrotechnics.
Tom Cruise has hand-to-hand boss fights against superhuman opponents so he gets tossed around a lot scrambling for improvised weapons.
Mummy will actually be sexier than she is scary.

"it's like being on a roller coaster ride"
"It's going to keep you right at the edge of your seat."
"You're not going to want to take your eyes off the screen."

That sounds like they're plugging last seven Tom Cruise movies.

Impression:

It's going to look great.
Exceptional set pieces.
Suspense and action are going to be great.
Female leads will be stunning.
Great chases.
Lots of running.
Lots of pyrotechnics.
Tom Cruise has hand-to-hand boss fights against superhuman opponents so he gets tossed around a lot scrambling for improvised weapons.
Mummy will actually be sexier than she is scary.

Well, it IS Sofia Boutella, so sexy kinda comes with the package.

Part of me hopes it turns out to be the trope of He Was The Villain All Along, insomuch as Cruise winds up being the one who brings the evil with him. However, knowing Cruise and his propensity for being the Good Guy, I doubt that will happen. However, he did play the bad guy in Collateral, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

saw this the other night while watching the walk dead. there was a long sneak peak scene with the plane. idk im anti cruise...

Unfortunately, this looks like a hard pass to me. The sarcophagus looks more like something from HR Giger than something from Ancient Egypt and the Mummy looks like the sister of the Enchantress from Suicide Squad. It very much bugs me that they're using the mythology but not the aesthetic in any way, shape or form.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, I typically enjoy Cruise films for the aforementioned reason that he simply knows how to make action movies. I'm also pretty sure he doesn't age, which is interesting in and of itself.

On the other hand, what exactly did I just watch?

I am the only one tired of digital effects action sequences that no human could possibly survive, but the 'hero' does repeatedly?

I hate em in J.J. Trek and I hate em here.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back