The Mummy (2017) (Post-release)

Fox has the rights but this "dark universe" has always seemed like a waste of energy that could go into making an awesome League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie. I guess falling short of that, and staying in Universal's wheelhouse, I would like to see a new Van Helsing connected universe which has a lot of potential to me. The biggest gaff about this whole series is the modern setting. This isn't an era of macabre mystery and intrigue, we don't have the same pulp heroes of the past, this is a setting where a Mummy would attack a metro area and it would end up on Snapchat and Facebook. Stepping away from that pre widespread media period really loses a lot of the magic of these gothic stories.

If I want all my old monsters together. I'll just pop in my Monster Squad dvd.
IMG_1421.GIF

If I want all my old monsters together. I'll just pop in my Monster Squad dvd.
View attachment 735151

GREAT movie!

"KICK HIM IN THE NARDS! KICK HIM IN THE NARDS!!!"

"He doesn't have nards!"

"Just do it!"

*kicks Wolfman in the nards, who then doubles over in agony*

"Whoa... Wolfman's got nards!"

It was also surprisingly poignant, too.

*kids are leaving Scary German Guy's house*

Kid: "Wow, mister, you sure know a lot about monsters!"

SGG: "As a matter of fact, I do..."

*Scary German Guy closes the door and the camera pushes in to reveal Nazi Concentration Camp numbers tattoos on his forearm*

Not a horrible movie but definitely worth waiting for on Pay Per View. The attempts to inject humor from time-to-time fell short in the showing I was in.

Not a horrible movie but definitely worth waiting for on Pay Per View. The attempts to inject humor from time-to-time fell short in the showing I was in.

The best description of the humor in this film that I heard was that they were trying too hard to be funny in a movie that was taking itself too seriously. They compared it to the 1999 Brendan Fraser film, stating that the '99 film had a lot of humor that flowed effortlessly because the movie did not take itself too seriously.

The best description of the humor in this film that I heard was that they were trying too hard to be funny in a movie that was taking itself too seriously. They compared it to the 1999 Brendan Fraser film, stating that the '99 film had a lot of humor that flowed effortlessly because the movie did not take itself too seriously.

I was reminded of American Wearewolf where his friend kept appearing to him more decomposed each time.

You forgot to add "dark". This film is part of their dark universe, cause there oh so edgy like that.

Don't forget the ultimate secret to any good movie. Pay out the rear for star power like Cruise and Depp. Who needs to worry about making a movie with fun adventures and likable characters when you can just throw those guys up there, because they've never flopped before....right? :rolleyes

I said it in another topic and I'll say it here. I would rather see "The Monster Squad 2" get made than this Dark Universe thing.

Alex Kurtzman sure is making the rounds attempting to sell the future of the "Dark Universe". Did anyone really want this anyway? Can't wait to see what happens down the line, and how they team all the monsters up, along with why/who they will be fighting. Lol.

Of course this movie will be long forgotten, in some five dollar bin when the next film in the "Dark universe" comes about.

17% on RT now. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that there are infomercials with higher ratings on late night television :lol

That Kurtzman came to this conclusion is no surprise, as he is an expert at launching reboots and shaping cinematic franchises. He co-wrote the 2007 Transformers adaptation, then co-wrote and produced the 2009 Star Trek movie and its sequel. After that, he worked on Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and its aborted spinoff universe. He’s also a co-creator on CBS’s revival of Hawaii Five-0, and its upcoming Star Trek prequel series, Discovery. But as the 46-year-old filmmaker explained during a conversation that became his guide to writing reboots and multiverses, the inception of the Dark Universe came long after he came aboard The Mummy, which he first joined as a producer.

Whoever wrote this article managed to make Kurtzman seem like a competent expert. That means they are a better writer than he is....:lol

Really though, Kurtman is terrible....:unsure

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back