Iron Man Age of Ultron Mk45 3D Printed Armour build

Thank you wannabe and CharlzO. Still trying to figure it all out. I'm using MaxCrft's files, since I didn't have the stomach to spend the $200 on Do3D's files. I will admit the quality of Do3Ds files are much nicer and more in depth (I'm sure that's the $55 vs $200 difference). MaxCrft does have improved files over what is pictured in their etsy listing, though it doesn't include gaskets, and the level of detail is a little lesser (as you called out).

My progress (Minus Lacquer).

DJ7uiPw.jpg

I rushed the process as I wanted to get at least the right arm done before tomorrow (Halloween). The gauntlet is still drying as my first run was too small overall so I don't have a good picture including it.

The forearm had small silver spots which were hard to get taped off. So I used Wicked Colors Silver airbrush paint to paint over the red in those spots. It worked out really well.

Once I get this arm done, I'll start working on the chest following what you did.

Last edited:
Thank you wannabe and CharlzO. Still trying to figure it all out. I'm using MaxCrft's files, since I didn't have the stomach to spend the $200 on Do3D's files. I will admit the quality of Do3Ds files are much nicer and more in depth (I'm sure that's the $55 vs $200 difference). MaxCrft does have improved files over what is pictured in their etsy listing, though it doesn't include gaskets, and the level of detail is a little lesser (as you called out).

My progress (Minus Lacquer).

I rushed the process as I wanted to get at least the right arm done before tomorrow (Halloween). The gauntlet is still drying as my first run was too small overall so I don't have a good picture including it.

The forearm had small silver spots which were hard to get taped off. So I used Wicked Colors Silver airbrush paint to paint over the red in those spots. It worked out really well.

Once I get this arm done, I'll start working on the chest following what you did.

Looking great bro. Hope you met your hallowe'en deadline !

Here is my version:

20170729_184502.jpg

Sorry about the secret squirrel persec.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry dude, didn't see this.

There's some ideas here as well

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=171231

Great thread link bro. Cheers! Lots of ideas to follow up on there.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just to chime in: Similar to this, but obviously whatever brand he's using (just adding in case people weren't sure what you were referencing)

https://repaintsupply.com/spraymax-3680061-2k-urethane-clear-coat-aerosol-p3685.html

Something along those lines depending on which side of the ocean you live, I guess. Thanks.

I found the Mark 45 3d printed files on thingiverse... the helmet is not the same but i found it on internet... i think i will try to do this... what are the differences with yours?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1515871

When I first started down the path of building a suite, the files you linked are the file set I initially set on. I had some major issues getting some of the pieces to slice appropriately, though, which killed my desire to build anything for almost a year.

After purchasing MaxCrft's file on etsy, you are linked to a download of all the files and I'm about 80% sure these files are MaxCrft (from Etsy). Honestly I was super pissed off at first. What you don't know/have is MaxCrft's updated and improved files. He has since made many improvements and made things easier to print, and emailed me to notify me that improved files would be made available to me shortly. About an hour later I got a link to download all the upgraded/improved files.

If you read through the comments on Thingiverse, you'll see the poster of those files admits multiple times they aren't his. If you have issues with any of the files, there's nothing he can do to help you. Ignoring the moral aspects of it, you can probably work through the issues I had and get your parts sliced and printed.

The way I look at it, you're going to spend a few hundred dollars on filament, even more on paint/primer/epoxy/lacquer/sand paper, and god knows how much time on building your armor. In the grand scheme of things, $55 is a small price to pay.

When I first started down the path of building a suite, the files you linked are the file set I initially set on. I had some major issues getting some of the pieces to slice appropriately, though, which killed my desire to build anything for almost a year.

After purchasing MaxCrft's file on etsy, you are linked to a download of all the files and I'm about 80% sure these files are MaxCrft (from Etsy). Honestly I was super pissed off at first. What you don't know/have is MaxCrft's updated and improved files. He has since made many improvements and made things easier to print, and emailed me to notify me that improved files would be made available to me shortly. About an hour later I got a link to download all the upgraded/improved files.

If you read through the comments on Thingiverse, you'll see the poster of those files admits multiple times they aren't his. If you have issues with any of the files, there's nothing he can do to help you. Ignoring the moral aspects of it, you can probably work through the issues I had and get your parts sliced and printed.

The way I look at it, you're going to spend a few hundred dollars on filament, even more on paint/primer/epoxy/lacquer/sand paper, and god knows how much time on building your armor. In the grand scheme of things, $55 is a small price to pay.

About improvements... if you already printed your armor and receive improvement, will you reprint them? I don't think so...
Armor by MaxCrft paint/primer/epoxy/lacquer/sand itself?
I cannot understand the difference...

- - - Updated - - -

What are the tecnical differences between theese files and MaxCrft?
If there are real differences, I will be very glad to pay for it... but if I have the same (more or less) type of file...

It appears you've missed the point I was trying to make. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, my apologies for that.

Instead of dwelling on that, maybe it's best I go along with Wannabe... The cost to compensate the artist for his knowledge/time is so minimal in comparison to the overall cost of completing this project. I recommend you buy the improved files from MaxCrft (Or any other files other sources).

Personally: I regret not buying the files sooner. I have a box full of scrapped prints from Thingiverse and other online .stl repositories because they didn't print well, look good, or fit together (or fit me) as expected. I wasted more than $55 in filament and god knows how much time which I would have saved had I purchased MaxCrft's files sooner.

Ultimately it's your time/money... the decision is yours to make.

Little bit of progress this weekend. I brushed up my soldering skills and finally put together my arc reactor.

wKl4OWe.jpg

And Neopixels are a nightmare to video ...

Tony Stark made his in a cave with a bunch of scraps. Mine was 3D printed in resin and PLA and uses custom code running on an Adafruit Flora with 3 neopixel rings.

I tried to keep the form factor as small as possible. Will probably build a mk2 at some point to make it easier to assemble. If enough people inquire, I might consider making a run of them :)

Original design drawing (I still need to paint the final reactor):

arc reactor.jpg

Attachments

• wKl4OWe.jpg
    wKl4OWe.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:
P7jqJeVh.jpg

YHMkq1Eh.jpg

A few issues to resolve but otherwise this is pretty much done :cool

Attachments

• P7jqJeVh.jpg
    P7jqJeVh.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 217
  • YHMkq1Eh.jpg
    YHMkq1Eh.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 211
  • YHMkq1Eh.jpg
    YHMkq1Eh.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 247
  • P7jqJeVh.jpg
    P7jqJeVh.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 179
  • P7jqJeVh.jpg
    P7jqJeVh.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 228
  • YHMkq1Eh.jpg
    YHMkq1Eh.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 213
  • P7jqJeVh.jpg
    P7jqJeVh.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 235
  • YHMkq1Eh.jpg
    YHMkq1Eh.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 244
  • P7jqJeVh.jpg
    P7jqJeVh.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 216
  • YHMkq1Eh.jpg
    YHMkq1Eh.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back