Iron Man Age of Ultron Mk45 3D Printed Armour build

When I first started using XTC I applied it pretty thinly but found that, like you, it still needed a lot of sanding smooth. I've subsequently starting applying it quite a bit thicker and relying on its self levelling nature to flow smooth. This I find works well for armour where your paint up will hide some of your sins. Take care that the resin doesn't fill your detail lines though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hey wannabe, Where did you get the Iron Man shirt you're wearing in the pictures from July?

This feels outa the blue, but I've been following your build progress for a few months and just recently started printing out my parts. Just have the Right arm (Shoulders, Bicep, Forearm, Hands) and hoping to get that done by Halloween.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey wannabe, Where did you get the Iron Man shirt you're wearing in the pictures from July?

This feels outa the blue, but I've been following your build progress for a few months and just recently started printing out my parts. Just have the Right arm (Shoulders, Bicep, Forearm, Hands) and hoping to get that done by Halloween.
It cost about $15 on eBay. I don't have a link to hand but I think if you searched for "Iron Man under armor" I think you'd find it.

Edit: pretty sure it's this listing...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/132228601224

It cost about $15 on eBay. I don't have a link to hand but I think if you searched for "Iron Man under armor" I think you'd find it.

Edit: pretty sure it's this listing...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/132228601224

Thank you for this. Based off your post I went out and purchased MaxCrft's updated Mk 45 files off Etsy. They're very nice quality files so far. I've got a full right arm (Shoulder, Bicep, Forearm) printed out and printers are hitting the hands today. I'm concerned about the "fit" between parts, though. MaxCrft's files didn't come with any type of gaskets for knees and elbows. and there's a lot of empty space on a dry fitting. What type of gasket are you using for those to fill the gaps?

I wanted to pick up the shirt because that does help mask some of it.

I have a boat load XTC, Priming/Sanding in my future. Hoping to get the right arm done before Halloween. I'm running out of time and may not make it!

Thanks for this thread and sharing your building experience! It's giving me a good template on what the hell I'm doing.

Bogie My own build uses the Do3D arms and therefore I have printed some flexible gaskets based on their models

Discovered the new AR app on Win10 :D

t1ZqgFN.jpg

In other news I finally got around to laying down some more filler primer ...

dlznfSu.jpg

Looking good mate!

Are you planning on cutting the bottom out of the feet or do you think they will be strong enough to bear weight?

I have printed mine with a sole but am unsure about using it or cutting it out and putting some kind of comfy shoe in there
1f602.png

1f602.png

snaze1 I've printed the heel and toe separately with the toe oversized to allow some flex in the boot. Both parts with be linked with a hinge, a sheet of PVC plastic, and will have a vibram boot sole attached. I will have an inner boot and I'm going to be blocking out the soles with wood to make them more solid but initial tests have been positive. Its been by far the one of the biggest challenges in making a wearable Iron Man suit, but I think I may have a way forward. However, if all else fails I'll cut out the sole.

@snaze1 I've printed the heel and toe separately with the toe oversized to allow some flex in the boot. Both parts with be linked with a hinge, a sheet of PVC plastic, and will have a vibram boot sole attached. I will have an inner boot and I'm going to be blocking out the soles with wood to make them more solid but initial tests have been positive. Its been by far the one of the biggest challenges in making a wearable Iron Man suit, but I think I may have a way forward. However, if all else fails I'll cut out the sole.

Yeah have been head scratching over this one for quite some time.
I have also printed mine in 2 halves but my concern's are that it will be incredibly uncomfortable or will break when walked on.

I think I will go down the cut the sole off and have an internal shoe for comfort

Yeah have been head scratching over this one for quite some time.
I have also printed mine in 2 halves but my concern's are that it will be incredibly uncomfortable or will break when walked on.

I think I will go down the cut the sole off and have an internal shoe for comfort

I'll post pictures / video of my solution when it's ready. Although I might mock something up beforehand.

Discovered the new AR app on Win10 :D https://i.imgur.com/t1ZqgFN.jpg In other news I finally got around to laying down some more filler primer ... https://i.imgur.com/dlznfSu.jpg
Looking real good brother! I did the same with the shoes for some flex at the toe. What infill percentage did you use on the shoes to ensure they will take walking abuse? Printed mine without a bottom and used a foam sole and water shoe on the inside. Seems durable but not sure how I will like the look of the sole.

Looking real good brother! I did the same with the shoes for some flex at the toe. What infill percentage did you use on the shoes to ensure they will take walking abuse? Printed mine without a bottom and used a foam sole and water shoe on the inside. Seems durable but not sure how I will like the look of the sole.
If I remember correctly I printed the shoes at 100% infill. PLA though so who knows how much abuse they will take.

Okay, next phase of my mk46 arm build is starting. Most everything has primed, a couple pieces have another sanding or two in its future. I'm getting close to the painting step and went with Dupli-Color (BCC0365-6 PK) Claret Red Metallic Chrysler Perfect Match Automotive Paint - 8 oz. Aerosol, (Case of 6).

As I start getting close to that, I was looking at the next step of a clear coat. I'm having a hard time finding anything labeled 2k lacquer. The closest thing I've come across is this clearcoat.

I've read and re-read all the posts in this thread and you don't talk about the 2k lacquer you use. Your results are amazing, so I'd like to mimic if at all possible. Any advice?

Thanks again!

-Bogie

Thanks for the compliments. I use a 2k automotive clear gloss lacquer. It's the kind that is mixed in the can by pulling on a ringpull in the base. Not sure how else to describe it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back