Iron Man Age of Ultron Mk45 3D Printed Armour build

This is so great. Love the build. You have convinced me to buy a 3D printer! Cannot wait to see this complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing work! I have just downloaded the MaxCraft file - I am 6ft tall with a 30 inch waist and slim do you reckon I need to get the Dod3 FIles as well? you mentioned the Helmet being more streamlined? I would like to adjust the suit so it stands at 6ft 3 like in the film (RDJ wore angled platform wedges in IM1) - tall and slim. Not too worried about the helmet I can always get another.

How did you find the other parts of the suit in comprison from the 2 files?

Regards!

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. Work and life have been somewhat taking priority right now. Things are still moving, only slowly. The self-imposed deadline of this weekend is well and truly missed however, so I'm making the Spiderman Homecoming première my next target. We shall see. Hope to have some updates for you shortly.

Would love to see what you are planning to use as hinges for the arms and legs. I printed this same suit and used overall hinges but they didn't hold well in the long run

Sorry, these are the clips i was referring to below. In theory they should have worked but i had issues with the studs popping off or digging into my leg. I have tried chicago screws in the past on my foam armor but couldn't figure out a way to get those to work with the 3d parts. I am curious to know what ideas you may have. i also had issues with the knee pieces as i just attached them with straps of velcro to the inside of the thigh.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BI1WC...t=&hvlocphy=9010945&hvtargid=pla-305170713289

So I'm probably going to use a system of webbing and fastex buckles and/or poppers connected to a harness sewn in to the under suit. I'll scan my sketches and upload them when I get a moment. Otherwise, for the elbows and knees I have been experimenting with 3D printed double hinges.

hinge.jpg

interested in printing another set of elbow hinges for me? :p Ive been trying to tackle the elbow hing idea forever now, and cant come up with anything flat enough to hide inside without stabbing my arm. that idea looks sweet. please dm me if interested.

Hey I came across this on thingiverse website. I printed out 2 sets and put a Chicago screw to connect them and they seemed to work out well on the arms. I am assuming they will work out on the legs too but haven't tried. Just in case your hinges don't work you could always try these. I might scale them down a little for the arms but I need to do a better test fit on my arms.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1930079

Darktophie Thanks for the heads up. I've gone double hinges to allow some flexibility of movement at the joint. I'll share the stl files in this thread if they work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you looked into a combo of rare earth magnets and straps? I am experimenting with using really strong rare earth mags as the pivot point ( no issues with screws digging into you ect... and straps to act as secondary reinforcement if mags separate for a second.. also using network of rubber bands and mags in a similar fashion to allow greater freedom of movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayutmb I have looked at using magnets to join armour pieces, but not as hinges. Interesting idea. Might be useful to combine this with a 3D printed cup and cone arrangement to avoid slip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Little bit of progress. The chest is smoothed pretty much to the point where I'm happy with it. I've also replaced the intake vent grilles with a better model.

7mIsXQe.jpg

Shoulders and back to finish up and I'm almost there with the upper body before priming and painting.

Last edited:
In other news, I had the neck section printed in Ninjaflex Cheetah. I am going to call this a partial success as my fat head is clearly visible in places. I will use a hood to cover these parts.

6VydVJH.jpg

C9EEjyZ.jpg

My plan is to install a zipper at the rear and to line the collar with felt for comfort. I'm going to try to paint it with plastidip, unless anyone has any good suggestions for how else to colour it. Information is very lean online regarding painting ninjaflex.

I've had the back of knee and elbow gaskets printed in the same material. I'll let you know how it works out.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back