Iron Man Age of Ultron Mk45 3D Printed Armour build

Fantastic build, looking excellent!

I am working on a 3D printed suit myself and wonder if you would mind telling me which Etsy seller you got those eyes from and how much they cost you?

Many thanks

Little bit of progress this weekend. But so much to do to get these pieces smoothed out ready for paint proper...

JSmbzPS.jpg

Last edited:
So this weekend marked pretty much the end of the 3D printing of the Iron Man armour sections. In celebration of this I decided to have a little fun with a roll of duct tape ...

S7ikJic.jpg

YcmmegG.jpg

wWXPa1j.jpg

WjrejPQ.jpg

ydOuZq5.jpg

As you can see the parts are in various stages of smoothing, priming, filling, and sanding. So much left to do...

Last edited:
Wow this is just fantastic. I have just ordered my first 3d printer as is something I want to get into and just love the thought of being able to do this someday . Im getting the i3plus printer so hopefully it will be up to the task. May I ask how much filament went into making this and roughly how long print hrs? great job :)

celtic touch Thanks for the comments. I'm afraid that I didn't keep track of how much filament or printing time went into the armour. I would say its well over 10kilos though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is excellent. It would appear that 3d printing will be taking over from traditional build methods sooner rather than later.... so who's gonna 3d print some stormtrooper armour? Or a wearable Optimus Prime suit?

Looking great! How did you join the pieces? I see you did the soldering iron on the backs. Any adhesive before you did that?

I saw someone do a Star Wars build and they coated the exterior with fibreglass resin to get rid of the little z-wobbles and lines. Not sure if that would work with Iron Man having all those detailed lines?

Sith Lord Thanks man. I use CA glue to tack the sections together before I solder the pieces. I also use XTC to coat the exterior and then a combination of 2-part body filler with a nitro-cellulose glazing putty to smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Danlex9 Thanks man. I agree. The mk45 is an amazing design. I just hope I can do it some justice with my build.
@LeClubNerd Thanks. I've tried individual sections on for size, but I haven't yet assembled and strapped the whole thing wearable. I'm actually still trying to work out how everything is going to attach. I've pretty much decided, however, that the arms and legs will be hinge articulated at the elbows and knees, and will be hung from the undersuit as much as possible. I'm taking many cues from how my Stormtrooper armour is strapped together. Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back