Subscribe
    Dec 2, 2016, 2:56 PM - Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #1

Hey guys! So for my 3D printing class our final is to make a project in an area that we want to learn more about, and me wanting to get into props and making, I decided to design and print Grenade Face's helmet from The Force Awakens. I asked Dutch Props for some help and he provided a TON of reference material that helped so much in make the model. Big thanks to him! So I've got the model and designed it around a 3D scan of my head to get proportions and dimensions off of that. The final model turned out really well, and I don't know if it's 100% screen accurate, but I think it's pretty good!! I tested out a lot of new methods for me when it came to designing the model and learned so much.

So for my school project, to save on time and material, I'm making the model at 50% scale. All of the pieces are being printed on my Ultimaker 3 Extended out of PLA material (note: the last two pieces will be in black PLA due to me running out of silver )

The majority of parts were printed with PVA support material but I've run out for now and am waiting on Matterhackers to get stocked again so I can get my 2 spools that I ordered... When the printer was released. It's been amazing printing with that support material.

Anyways guys!! Let me know what you think. I'm posting a lot of my progress on my instagram so if you want more frequent updates check me out on there.

The first image is of the near completed 3D model, missing a few details, but it's the basic idea. Designed in Rhinoceros.

The first full print is of the helmet at 25% scale and low quality so I can get a feel of the helmet in person and see if there needs to be any changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MemorY; Dec 2, 2016 at 3:06 PM.
  2. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Dec 3, 2016, 2:30 PM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #2

a good start, looks very promising! what is the putty you are using to fill and sand the gaps?
    Dec 4, 2016, 1:05 AM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #3

Vaj said: View Post
    a good start, looks very promising! what is the putty you are using to fill and sand the gaps?
    I'm using Apoxie Sculpt to fill in the seams and what not for now. When I put a coat of primer on it, if I need to, I'll add some spot putty to make it smoother or add a bit of texture to it.

UPDATE:

All of the pieces are printed out!!!!! I'm so excited!!

Dec 7, 2016, 3:32 PM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #4

Alright!! All of the sanding is complete and is getting ready to get painted today!! I'm super excited to show you all how it turns out!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0854.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	688899
    Dec 9, 2016, 10:58 AM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #5

Update time! Grenade Face is all primed and ready for some more paint to be thrown on it!

If you want to see this project from the beginning or more frequent updates, check out my instagram page.

Dec 12, 2016, 11:39 AM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #6

Hey guys!! Grenade Face is done!!! It's been such a blast making this helmet from the design to the prints to the painting!! I can't wait to get started on a full scale version!!

If I decide to, would people be interested in kits of the full scale helmet?

Dec 13, 2016, 7:47 AM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #7

Nice work. But hard to judge the scale of it. Can you put a penny with it?
    Dec 14, 2016, 4:20 PM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #8

Scote said: View Post
    Nice work. But hard to judge the scale of it. Can you put a penny with it?
    I'll up you .24 and put a quarter. lol The grey print is raw and at 25% scale.

Jan 12, 2017, 3:00 PM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #9

Hey guys!! It's update time!! Progress has begun on the full scale version of the helmet!! I currently (Jan. 12, 2017) have all of the pieces printed out and it took a lot of time!! The faceplate alone took over 70 hours to print!!! So worth it though!! It turned out amazing!!! I have begun the finishing process and have had my first experience with using bondo! I can see why so many people love working with it now!! Anyways here are the pictures!!

Here we have the 50% scale and the full scale brim. This is going to be so cool!!!

These are the 3 brim pieces (yellow) and the front half of the dome. I joined the right and left sides together on the CAD model and had some minor issues with the printer during the print, but it'll be great!

The faceplate is done!! About 72-73 hours of printing and the PVA support worked perfectly on it!! I made this out of nylon material which helps when placing the joints into the sockets on the dome since the material can flex a bit more then normal plastics. It weights about .5 lb.

In water dissolving the support. I should invest in a fish tank or something. This was an old 2 gallon bucket that I found. It worked fine though!

And that my friends is half a pound of nylon for you!!

Let the finishing begin!! Using my new Black and Decker tools that I received for Christmas.

Sanding, primed the domes, apoxie sculpted the brim pieces, and some sanding done to the faceplace.

First use of bondo.

And sanded down!!!

So that's it for this update! More to come!! Let me know what you think and follow me on instagram for more frequent updates and also to see what else I'm working on!!! Thanks guys!!!!

From
    Bay Area
    Jan 13, 2017, 3:49 AM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #10

This is so Awsome!
    I first saw this on Instagram and was like, whoa.
    Best of luck.
    Pleeeeaaaase feel free to contact me if your gonna do a run of these.
    Robert
    Jan 13, 2017, 11:35 AM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #11

usajdm said: View Post
    This is so Awsome!
    I first saw this on Instagram and was like, whoa.
    Best of luck.
    Pleeeeaaaase feel free to contact me if your gonna do a run of these.
    Robert
    Glad that you're liking the build!

It's the plan to sell kits for this helmet so keep an eye on my instagram on progress of the build and when kits are available.

12. Member Since
    May 2017
    May 13, 2017, 11:26 PM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #12

This. is. Incredible! Any chance that you will release the .STL or OBJ files on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    From
    Aberystwyth
    Sep 30, 2017, 11:11 PM - Re: Knights of Ren: Grenade Face helmet project - 3D print #13

Any updates ?