So you've found an HALES GRENADE overseas... NOW WHAT? How do you import it legally?

Re: So you've found an HALES GRENADE overseas... NOW WHAT? How do you import it lega

Paint stripper and a wire brush would be my suggestion. If the brush doesn't work well, I have used the wire dremel wheels also, but wear eye protection as the wire spokes fly off at random. Also do it where you can clean up easily. Those wire spokes are a lot of fun when you randomly step on one after a month because you missed vacuuming it up.

Re: So you've found an HALES GRENADE overseas... NOW WHAT? How do you import it lega

Sorry, userd1402 , I was so busy swearing I totally overlooked your question!

While waiting for responses from the seller I had looked up how to get cosmoline off. The simplest way seems to be just to soak the part in mineral spirits and it should simply disolve away. Then just rinse it off with warm/hot water, dry and oil it, or use a gun-bluing chemical like Nu-Blu

https://www.amazon.com/Stock-Doc-Nu-Blu-2-Ounces/dp/B00OWLHKH4

If you want the cleaning process to happen more quickly, scrub at it with a plastic bristle brush and some old rags while it soaks in the mineral spirits.

I really want to congratulate you on being able to acquire this...and a second from them...but I'm still too busy cursing. Not, you, just not being able to get it myself.

Now go get that thing a-soakin' and post up some pics of it ASAP!!! I'll probably need a day or two to stop swearing if it turns out to be super pretty, but I promise I'll do my best to compliment it once I get over the "could-have-beens".

Last edited by a moderator:

They just would NOT send it over to the USA. :( I'm still not 100% sure on why none of the UK militaria places will ship it over here. They just keep saying it's too risky, without explaining why.

I have EXACTLY the same problem sourcing stuff from the states. I couldn't even get a vintage telescopic sight sent over because the seller considered it to be a firearm component. Hey-ho!
Let me know if you do ever find one over here and we may be able to work some "antique candlestick" deal out.

Let me know if you do ever find one over here and we may be able to work some "antique candlestick" deal out.

Funny, I thought this was a 'vintage motorcycle footpeg'? And weren't the other bits simply the brass components from a 1920's electric blender/paint stirrer? ;) :rolleyes:behave:lol

Maybe WD40 isn't that a decreasing agent?

That's a decent price for two! Can't wait to see that one cleaned up. The cubes look pretty good [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grenade is in better condition than those photos showed. I tried a quick swap of the brasswork from my Roman's OB1 and it all fitted into the 1916 frag body perfectly so that just goes to show how good Roman's parts are.

2017-04-13 23.22.07.jpg

The second grenade has been sectioned and I wanted it for the brasswork which has a slightly more accurate shape including the groove around the wind-vane, and a much nicer colour and patination.

2017-04-13 23.22.07.jpg

Hales-01b.jpg

Huh, that's interesting, I didn't realize they were the same seller. I was going to do an out of control crystal growning out of that sectioned grenade.

You really shouldn't need a whole lot of time to clean off that cosmoline. Get a glass 'Ball' jar or similar glass mayonaise (or whatever) jar, fill it with mineral spirits, set the grenade down in it, come back in an hour, pull it out scrub it with plastic scrub brush, repeat as necessary. Done in a jiffy!

You can't work all day ya know? You have to have a little fun each day (i.e. cleaning off an hundred year old Hales grenade and sharing the results with your online friends) or else you will be overwhelmed by the Dark Side fo the Force.

So get to it! If you have time to type, you have time to soak a grenade!!! ;)

Very cool seeing the internals!

The best of both grenades ... I love it ... you could do a cut-away lightsaber version with that second grenade :)

Chaïm

Those grenades are from different factories. Top is Hales and bottom is Roberite and Ammonal. Nice purchase you made! I have been looking for a cutaway for quite some time, but my "dealer" won't sell me his, yet......

Does anyone have comparison photos of grenades from different factories? I've noticed differences in pieces and thought it was just poor consistency, and I'm now curious as to where mine came from

The cleaning will have to wait a couple of weeks as it's tourist season here in sunny Cornwall and school holidays are when I make most of my money for the year so busy, busy, busy.
The grenade is in better condition than those photos from the seller showed. I tried a quick swap of the brasswork from my Roman's OB1 and it all fitted into the 1916 frag body perfectly so that just goes to show how good Roman's parts are.

View attachment 721417

The second grenade has been sectioned/blown open and I only wanted it for the brasswork which has a slightly more accurate shape including the groove around the wind-vane, and a much nicer colour and patination. Looks like it might have been varnished at some point. The body is pretty much destroyed but maybe I could use it for some sort of 'relic' saber...

View attachment 721418

I just picked up the same display stand from Evike. Its perfect for a Solo Blaster....Or lightsaber. $15ish.

Does anyone have comparison photos of grenades from different factories? I've noticed differences in pieces and thought it was just poor consistency, and I'm now curious as to where mine came from

If you point me to pictures, I can tell you.

Ridire Firean said;
You really shouldn't need a whole lot of time to clean off that cosmoline.
You can't work all day ya know? So get to it!
If you have time to type, you have time to soak a grenade!!!

OK (pushy) here it is, soaking. I'll check on it tomorrow. Maybe.
2017-04-15 19.05.01.jpg

Last edited:

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit'll go faster if you scub it. :D

Sing it with me now..."It's my thready and I'll push if I want to, push if I want to. You would push too if it happened to you! Da-Da-Dah-Da-Dah." :lol

Thank you for the in progress photo! I'm glad to see you gettin' after it. Now how's about that hourly update you're due for? It's tomorrow somewhere after all. ;)

Sing it with me now..."It's my thready and I'll push if I want to, push if I want to. You would push too if it happened to you! Da-Da-Dah-Da-Dah." :lol

Yeah that's not disturbing at all... Right, whatever it was it wasn't any kind of wax based product. I think it was some sort of enamel paint and a mineral spirit soak overnight had zero effect so I just spent an hour scrubbing the body with a brass wire brush.

Actually I think I prefer the way it looked before. I'm not going to do anything else to it. It would be pretty terrible if I trashed it in an afternoon after it's survived a century and a couple of world wars already.

2017-04-16 11.07.49.jpg2017-04-16 11.17.00.jpg

That is so friggin cool!!!

Yeah that's not disturbing at all... Right, whatever it was it wasn't any kind of wax based product. I think it was some sort of enamel paint and a mineral spirit soak overnight had zero effect so I just spent an hour scrubbing the body with a brass wire brush.

Actually I think I prefer the way it looked before. I'm not going to do anything else to it. It would be pretty terrible if I trashed it in an afternoon after it's survived a century and a couple of world wars already.

View attachment 721700View attachment 721701
its a good thing

you got it down to the original bare metal, that coating looked like M&Ms

I would entertain ideas of blueing it, maybe add some black briwax or something :)

Yeah that's not disturbing at all...

Yoda My Soul This Is - 02 ~Ridire Fíréan.png;)

I had figured by the auction photos that it had been "out to rust" as it were, and that someone had cosmolined it to prevent any further decay. The color and shapes of the cubes sure fit that idea. Was it tacky/greasy at all? I wonder if it was wax over paint. I find it questionable that they painted it in that manner if it didn't really have any cosmoline on it. Like they were trying to make it looked as though it had been preserved in that manner. Seeing it as you have it now, I thought for sure the rounded shape of the forward-most slanted section of the grenade body would have cleaned up to be much more angular. I was thinking it was just globby wax. Maybe it still will and it's just globby paint. Otherwise, they may have really over-polished it to remove all of the rust.

There are several ways for you to recreate that dark brownish maroon coloring if you prefer to have it that color. I would totally strip off that black paint (chemically) so that you can see (and not polish away) the true character of the cubes. Then you could use wood stains and varnish to bring back that rich color but this time without all the gloppy paint blobs!

The coolest thing to me so far, as I clean the grenade teecrooz gave me, is that I'm able to see a good deal of the tooling marks on the good sections of cubes. I've only used a toothbrush and vinegar on it thus far to carefully brush away the rust dust. I took a steel bristle tooth brush to it lightly to see if it would dislodge any of what I thought was accumulated dirt/rust along the top ring's crevace (which wasn't budging with the toothbrush and vinegar), and one of the scraggly side wires brushed a 1/8"L x 1/32"W x 1/32"D piece of super thin tip-thread off of the grenade as it grazed gently past it. Try as I might, I have been unsuccessful thus far in soldering it back on. CA Glue and a bit of JB Weld are next I think. I very lightly sanded the tail end of my grenade to see if I could get it down to size to fit within my Roman's clamp and was surprised by how quickly good metal began to poke through the rust. I don't think it was nearly enough sanding to have gotten that section's diameter down enough to fit within the clamp. I need to test fit it again and determine my next plan of action in that regard. My fear right now is that if I continue using vinegar that it will expose just how far the rust runs down within some of the cubes and may literally undermine them. Some of the rust divots are becoming rust holes. I think that's what happened up at the top with that wee little bit of thread. I think I unglued it when I took the rust away. I may begin to Nu-Blu the grenade body just to seal it before deciding how to proceed with the JB Weld repairing of the upper threads. The blued look isn't really what I want in the end, but it may be part of what's best for this particular grenade preservation-wise.

One thing you can do in about 10 minutes is to remove the windvane fan (assuming it's free and will just unscrew from windvane neck) and see if you have the two steel pins in place holding the firing pin in position. If they're there, you likely have a firing pin within the windvane neck. Just spray WD-40 on the pins and down both ends of the windvane neck. Wrap it in a couple layers of papertowel making sure to cover the ends of the windvane neck, then shake it like crazy. If your firing pin is in there, and loose at all, it will knock back and forth on the inside portions of the steel pins holding it in place and it will help dislodge them. Check after every few seconds of shaking to check your progress. Mine looked dreadfully rusted, but came out without too much effort. No prying required! As they get knocked out from within, you should be able to grab hold of them with your fingernails and just pluck them out of their holes. Just be mindful to keep the windvane neck parallel to the ground when you check your progress so that your firing pin doesn't slide out and drop to the floor after you remove the steel pins! You should be able to tip it out into your palm once the steel pins are removed. If the spring around the firing pin tip is still in place, treat it like a dragonfly wing. They're sooo brittle! What was left of the springs on both of my firing pins snapped right in two as I tried to clean them gently with a tooth brush and then coax them off of the firing pins with the tip of my fingernail.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and how nicely it cleans up. Good Luck!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back