So you've found an HALES GRENADE overseas... NOW WHAT? How do you import it legally?

Re: So you've found an HALES GRENADE overseas... NOW WHAT? How do you import it lega

Right, here's the full parts inventory I ended up with;

2017-04-20 08.04.45.jpg

2017-04-20 08.04.45.jpg

2017-04-20 08.22.57.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: So you've found an HALES GRENADE overseas... NOW WHAT? How do you import it lega

Beautiful work!

And here's what I made from that pile for myself. A complete grenade with all parts present including firing pin inside.

View attachment 722611

The remaining parts will be sold in the junkyard to help fund more parts and all future updates on this one will appear on my own thread as I work towards a complete real-parts OB1. Over and out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Good pick up. I'd seen that in the past and couldn't convince myself it'd look good enough once that stuff was removed. Clearly, i was wrong. Looks very nice IMO :)

Indeed, very nice score. You're inspiring me to get my grenade cleaned up. It still has a bit of paint on it.

If it's that yellow stuff, I'm having a sample of it analyzed to see just what it is. Nerdy, I guess, but if it's not from 1916, it'll be a lot easier conscience-wise for me to strip her down. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you have a Mk III that you could photograph next to the Hales?

It'd be interesting to compare the differences side by side.

Hey Gang! Here's some interesting information I've been given at another forum that I thought some of you might enjoy seeing...

GRENADE - HALES - No3 Mk1 - BOX - 01.jpg

large_DI_2015_0111.jpg

I'm not sure if the box in this photo, shown with a No20 Mk?, is the same box that was used with the No3 Mk1's but it's probably very similar.

the rifle grenade is from WW 1?

Have found what I think is a No.3 Mark I Hales. Question is what lurks beneath the paint I suppose. Any ideas on value (should I purchase?)
Thanks!

IMG_1731.JPG

That is some fresh looking paint. Curious...
Could that possibly be original?

It looks like a dug up grenade due to the pitting, that was then cleaned up and repainted. Still a nice one to have if the price was right!

looks like the top shoulder is thick and not so beveled. Either its corrosion or..... was the tunisia prop officially found to have been upside down?

Looks like a very worn piece that is painted to look cleaner and the brass was buffed hard to make shiny again, you can see the buffing marks when zoom in. It'd be an okay shelf piece as is if just want that but I think if you took that paint off you'd have more of a beater than a nice one. You can see the holes in the pineapple section by the brass, that's not stock. ;)

I'd maybe around $200-250, not a fan of that paint. I picked one up last year unpainted but way more relic/worn for $150.

Thanks all - woke up thinking I may give it a pass given the condition and you've cemented that view for me.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back