Wash on dark vehicle model

ggriffaw

Sr Member
When painting a dark vehicle such as a First Order TIE or Poe X-Wing, do you use a wash on the dark sections? If so, what color? If not, do you do something else instead to bring out the detail?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Yes you can use a wash since it will help bring out more detail.
The wash color depends on the base color. If it's black maybe Dark grey or dark blue/black.
I've even seen light grey used.
Take a look at real black aircraft like the SR71 or P36 Black widow. Do a google image search for "Sr71 closeup" to see what I mean.
A few paint makers like Vallejo, Mig and Ak Interactive have started coming out with premade washes.
You probably already know this but in case anyone else reads this.
if you used Acrylics as the base color you may want to protect the acrylic layer with a spray of clear lacquer. Some washes are enamel or oil based.
Plus the glossy surface will help the wash flow better. Then you can spray it with a flat lacquer to seal in the wash and any weathering you may have done.
Hope that helps some.

I agree with the above. To elaborate a bit... Basically the panel lines should be the color of whatever dirt or grime settled into them. In the case of a lighter vehicle that will usually appear darker, while on a darker vehicle it will appear lighter. But it's generally the same dirt and grime, it just gets "tinted" by the paint underneath in real life. The challenge on a scale model is simply to make sure the color of the panel lines doesn't clash with the main color(s) and that it is believable as grime over the base color. You can always experiment, and some variation of the base color (lightened or darkened) is always a good starting point.

BTW, this is the best tutorial I've seen on panel washes:

http://www.scalespot.com/reference/panellines/panellines.htm

If you're using water-based paints then Future makes a great gloss coat if you can get it.

-Rog

Personally, I would use a light grey primer. Then maybe some dark blue misting in certain areas.

And then use the black basing method to get your base coat

Personally, I would use a light grey primer. Then maybe some dark blue misting in certain areas.

And then use the black basing method to get your base coat
I'm confused, isn't the black basing method using a black primer?

I'm confused, isn't the black basing method using a black primer?

It is when your actual base coat is a light colour. But when it's a black colour, you should reverse it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think I understand. Since black is the primary color, use a light primer and do the second and third steps with black. Same technique just switching up the colors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think I understand. Since black is the primary color, use a light primer and do the second and third steps with black. Same technique just switching up the colors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
It's more about seeing layers and irregularities

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pre shading is another option. There is lots of information about the technique on line, particularly from military modellers.

Basically, instead of a uniform primer or base coat you apply a range of colours as the base coat and the thin topcoat then displays the tonal differences.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back