Fantastic Beasts - Queenie Goldstein

Kelui

I have decided to create Queenie Goldstein's costume however I am having a lot of trouble finding a similar fabric to her coat. I have worked out its possibly a sateen which is sort of slubbed and has a slight chevron texture to it. I am looking for something either similar or a white fabric which I can dye.

High res image of her coat: https://i.imgbox.com/npCAuQfi.jpg

Any opinions on the fabric?

White Textured Satin Rayon:
il_570xN.617475112_kmr9.jpg

Slubbed Silk Dupion:
Trad-Highly-Slubbed-Dupion-Charcoal.jpg

From what I can see the first fabric looks closer, but it's hard to tell what the texture of the other one is from the picture. Can't tell how shiny either one is though, and matching the sheen is important too.

And another picture without the velvet cuffs and collar...her right cuff shows a little of the inside of the fabric. Sorry, but the photo was already cropped at the waist, so there isn't more to see.
Queenie3.jpg

Last edited:
@Imellies
Thanks for the photo, its great to see it with out the velvet! I think I will have to definitely go with something with a sheen to it.

I'm also struggling with this one. Got a sample of a low-pile chenille to see how it looks - I like the texture in it and the colour is good but still obviously not the same fabric. Any more luck on this/anyone else have any suggestions?

15800832_10211312066980179_527133365_n.jpg

I agree with the idea from Risu that this is probably the back side of a silk jacquard. The one I've been looking at online is this one: http://www.puresilks.us/index.php?route=product/product&path=5&product_id=2087

Brocade.jpg

But it is $42/yd. I can't figure out how to request just a swatch so we can see the backside.

I think the sample chameleoncos posted is close, as long as it has a sheen to it.

Here's another picture I found useful. The colors are off in the photo, but it shows a closeup of the fabric and the detail around the velvet collar:

Collar.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the edges of her silhouette in the above reference photos I don't see a lot of 3-d texture, and if the fabric were chenille or heavily slubbed we should see indications of that texture around the edges of her silhouette. It definitely has the shine of a satin. I would consider the possibility that the texture and colors were custom printed onto a satin fabric.

I also like Risu's suggestion.

I should have clarified, I saw the costume up close. It is the backside of a silk jacquard.

2016-11-25%2023.39.12_zpsi8yrrnxg.jpg

I took this specific close-up because she, like Newt, had some weird pad-stitching on her coat. No idea what it was for, it was just randomly placed.

Ah thanks for the clarification! It's much clearer in that kind of close-up - until now I'd been going off Google image searches.
Going to be horrible to try to find if it's a reverse side though. Might take a look in some fabric shops this week and see if I can find anything helpful.

FWIW - Here's a quote from the book "Inside the Magic: The Making of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" page 79 from Costume Designer Colleen Atwood - 'Queenie was a lot of fun. I made a coat for her that she wears a lot. I drew the design and it was woven for me - it took thirty thousand feet of thread to make that coat. It's all different colours of umber and peach like a sunset or a sunrise. There was an element of air and light that I liked for Queeenie...'

ATL

Ugh I had a horrible feeling that it was woven for the film. Thanks for confirming that ATL. I guess I'll go back to trying to find the closest match for weight, texture and sheen, since I definitely don't have the resources to weave my own!

@chameoncos all I have at the moment is a sample, but I have some on the way I'll be happy to take pictures of just as soon as it gets here!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back