Adding depth to BS Kylo mask

Hi all...

I decided rather than buying / adding and re-fitting a Disney faceplate on my BS mask...that I would add depth to it.

Essentially, I used a dremel to cut in the spacing, leaving the interior brackets (screw posts at top & full bottom. I am now adding some bondo to thicken the areas I want and will sand and detail to get the look I want.

I dig all the re-dos and other stuff...I just wanted to keep the BS intact due to the size and proportion.

I'll add a pic of the finished product. I have one of the mod...I just havent figured out how to attach it here...if anyone knows...let me know.

Thanks!

Jon

I've been thinking of doing this same thing myself. I've thought of either just filling in the back with either foam or plastic sheeting.

I'd like to see some WIP pics of yours as well if you could post those!

I'll figure out how to get photos on here for you. It turned out great on the top...it's the bottom part that is the challenge. I may end up having to do the Disney add whether I like it or not.

Ok, so, sorry to change again, but after some work, I decided to stick with adding depth, and it is really starting to come out great!

I have to admit, it is taking a little more work than I thought, but it is keeping me from having to do all the "plastic welding" and compromising the structure of the BS. I felt like the basic shape / size was pretty close to accurate.

So, to start, I did the basic take apart. I ground all of the battery cases inside flat. I used the "soldering iron" welding technique on the inside and outside of the seam and battery pack seam to strengthen the seams. It helped me to use some painters tape on the outside to keep the seams tight while welding inside.

After welding, I used fiberglass mat and resin to strengthen the entire interior of the helmet. I used "Adhesion Promoter" after sanding the interior of the helmet with 100 grit. then fiber glassed.

When that cured, I lightly sanded the exterior, used the adhesion promoter again, and then brushed a thin coat of fiberglass resin on the outside. Sanded smooth...then I put a smooth layer of bondo on the exterior (entire helmet) and the face mask (front plate only, to build it up).

This was the prep I did to get ready for the depth addition. I'll add pictures of what I did next post.

I have to say, it is looking pretty neat!

Here is a pic of the depth so far...keep in mind...I am a long way from done:

20161218_201820_zpsrgbb2ht4.jpg

Once the bondo cures (48 hours to be sure)...I sanded it smooth and applied the light coat of primer as a "base" to start my working on the lines and depth.

For the mask, I dremeled out the area between the front plate and the rear plate, all the way through. I then added Milliput behind the "gap". I don;t really like the cure of the Milliput, so I am removing it and replacing it with "Steel Stick" a harder cure. But, after the MP "cured" I did this:

20161216_134446_zps0b3sysni.jpg

This gave me the "space" between the two plates. I also removed some of the thickness of the "nose piece" (between the chrome inlay and the back plate) and then molded some Steel stick into the area (use a toothpick to have something to build to), to fill the gap. I will be doing a lot of clean up work and shaping with a thin coat of bondo (so I can sand smooth and shape after cure) to the nose area.

For the helmet lines, I essentially did the same thing with the dremel (using the steel wheel brush), like this:

20161216_134556_zpsgyy6h3fg.jpg

I used a Needle file like a pen, and "drew" my depth lines in the bondo, this took quite some time. I then used a round needle file, and (very slowly and carefully) filed a small "channel" in the bondo where I wanted the lines to go. After they were slightly there, I turned the dremel wheel at a 90 degree angle, and I brushed the side closest to the "eye"...or the outside of the helmet, like this:

20161216_134313_zpsk2r7tpbt.jpg

What that does is build the inside up, to give it more of a pronounced look. This is for the lines running down the length of the helmet, and the ones coming down the sides from the indentation already in the helmet, as well as the "cheek flares" with the wheel to the front of the helmet. I just made an even pass around the rear.

What helped, I think, was the layer of resin and bondo. Once my wheel touched the black plastic...my depth was really defined. Another good thing about the steel wheel brush on the dremel, is it tends to smooth out the plastic, which is hard to get a good sanding.

the biggest thing for me, is to go slow and steady, I have no need to rush as my "Soft Parts" for this costume are going to take a while to fabricate / sew, etc.

So far, I really think I am getting good, clean lines, good depth on the faceplates, and it'll be a good look when I do the final texture and paint.

I'll post my progress and the final product when I am done. I know there are a lot of BS Mods...I thought maybe there were some folks who simply didn't want to do the Disney weld and fitting. So I thought I would share my "option" to make a nice, solid KR helmet with the right look and detail.

More to come!

Jon

I have worked on adding some more depth. Using Bondo and Steel stick...here are some pics. Keep in mind, it is not fully finished, but I am getting the look I want.
20161230_091903_zpsvbliy8zv.jpg

From This:

20161231_131317_zpsgjykjpbk.jpg

To This.

I am going to have about 2 more small "spot bondo" rounds...essentially to get the detail I am looking for around the "inner plate" and the flares on the ears.

After I have this how I want it, I'll then paint a thin layer of fiberglass resin over the entire helmet, and then do the painting.

I have the cheek detail / weathering done, and the fabric in the dremelled out holes.

20161226_114200_zpskrjwinu2.jpg

I used black spray paint sprayed onto a paper towel, then dabbed a natural sponge in the "pool" of paint, and worked it around, attempting to get a good enough coat while maintaining accuracy where I could.

I used black "weatherstrip adhesive" (3M) to apply the fabric in the cheeks. I started in the corners and "worked" my way out to the large edges after cutting it to fit.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Here it is right before I add the Fiberglass Resin to the rear face plate and chin strap areas.

20170102_170203_zpsbzm69wj0.jpg

I painted the fiber glass resin on with "epoxy brushes" and have given it a 48 hour cure. I am going to polish up the areas with the resin coat, mask off the main dome and front plate, then prime and paint the rear plate and chinstrap areas with the Matte Black color I have chosen this evening.

I will be using a "chilled (in ice water) "forged hammered" paint for the dome and front plate base coat...with the matte black as the cover color. then the entire helmet will get 2 light coats of gloss clear. I want to have the shiny appearance, understated, but shiny.

Should start to get the right look once the paint goes on. Almost at the finish line on this one!

- - - Updated - - -

Another pre-resin pic - different angle:

20170102_170222_zps6tkvja3y.jpg

Nice work, it's cool to see a finished product using the bondo method. I had a similar idea to cut the layers off of the BS helmet and make them into separate pieces using bonds and eventually mold & cast the helmet in resign. I eventually decided the Disney/BS hybrid was a better choice because of how difficult it is to get a perfectly even, uniform layer of bondo (also now I don't have to spend money on silicone

Much appreciated. There is no doubt it takes quite a bit of sanding, glazing putty, re-sanding, etc. Like at the beginning of the thread, I had doubts whether I wanted to do it this way, but in the end...I wanted to do something different and felt like I trusted my sanding skills over "plastic welding" & fitting a new mask on. I also thought that maybe an alternative method would help some folks who just aren't comfortable with doing the Disney mod.

Would I do it again...probably not...but I was hard-headed enough to try it once...and for my efforts, I think I have a serviceable, unique BS helmet that'll serve the Dark Side well! Haha. Thanks for looking...I appreciate it!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back