Toys Of Our Youth

OMG those damned electric football games! I've never been a football fan, but my older brother lives, eats and breathes all things football. He must've owned at least ten different versions of those electric football games when we were kids. He made me play those dumb things endlessly. What a STUPID game!! Set the little players up, throw the switch and just watch as these guys vibrate around with absolutely no rhyme or reason to their movements.

He would get a new one every Christmas and if I didn't play with him he would just beat the crap out of me.

Those handheld electronic sports games are actually being made again using the same tech and plastic colors so they look like they did all those years ago. Anyone else remember a toy line that had a 1911a pistol that opened up into a tiny playset with figures? There was a grenade one too I think, of course parent groups didn't like this at all. I wish still had my vintage laser tag guns, we ended up with one that was missing the cover for the battery compartment so we had to fix it with electrical tape.

What I always wanted but never saw anyone have was the electronic Maxx Steele from the Roboforce toyline. That line didn't last long actually, i got one toy from it as a mail away.

Last edited:
OMG those damned electric football games! I've never been a football fan, but my older brother lives, eats and breathes all things football. He must've owned at least ten different versions of those electric football games when we were kids. He made me play those dumb things endlessly. What a STUPID game!! Set the little players up, throw the switch and just watch as these guys vibrate around with absolutely no rhyme or reason to their movements.

He would get a new one every Christmas and if I didn't play with him he would just beat the crap out of me.

:lol I'm glad I had a little sister! That's how I felt with any battery operated vehicle like those Stompers trucks that came out when I was little. I was just like "They just go, you can't do anything with it!" I had zero interest in something that just drove away. :lol

Those handheld electronic sports games are actually being made again using the same tech and plastic colors so they look like they did all those years ago.

Oh, I had no problem with the little handheld electronic football game. I owned a couple of those myself. I was referring to that stupid vibrating one.

I've been on quest to re-buy some of the favorite toys of my youth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently saw penny racers that were from the original 1980s molds, they were those motorized cars that you put a penny in the back and it acted as a contact point for the electronics, Takara later also used the same car molds as the basis for Bumblebee and the other G1 mini cars.

I recently found this toy while cleaning out my mom's attic. One of my favorite toys when I was a kid, and I'm happy to have it back. If you know what it is, yes, I am old.
Vintage-Eldon-Billy-Blastoff-Robbie-Robby-Battery-Operated-_1.jpg

I recently saw penny racers that were from the original 1980s molds, they were those motorized cars that you put a penny in the back and it acted as a contact point for the electronics, Takara later also used the same car molds as the basis for Bumblebee and the other G1 mini cars.

Penny Racers were cars that you pulled back to wind the motor and let go. The penny only threw off the balance and made it do stuff like wheelies or spins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had those, or at least something like it, didn't know it was called penny racers.

Anyone have the 90s Super Soakers?
My brother at first had the SS 50.
L4aCV7w.jpg

Then my Dad had to go on a business trip in 91 or 92 that last a month. When he came home, he had 2 SS100s.

supersoaker100.jpg

I knew someone that had the SS 200, was pretty cool.

iS_supersoaker_ss200_12.jpg

But what I really wanted was the 300, but never ended up getting it.

iS_supersoaker_ss300_01.jpg

Fun times to be a kid.

Never had a Super Soaker, but reading this topic has made me want to check out what I still have around. I'm pretty sure I have a Penny Racer or two as well. I remember playing with one as a kid. I can't remember the car, but I do remember the penny holder was grey.

Trying to find toys I had now. This is fun.

Talkboy from Home Along 2. I loved this thing. Until a friend of mind wanted to hear what it sounded like underwater and put the mic in our pool, which ruined the thing.
talkboy-tape-recorder-640x533.jpg

Used to have the snoopy snow cone machine. I thought it was all red, but I guess not.

Cra-Z-Art-Original-Snoopy-Sno-cone-Machine--pTRU1-16831340dt.jpg

koosh balls.

51EmAJQiyEL.jpg

Nickelodeon Gak. Stuff was great. Loved making farting sounds with it.

960.jpg

Magic mitt. Still have one today, haven't played it in years.

magic-mitt.jpg

I had some pogs and slap bracelets, but it wasn't something I was really big on.

Yoyo ball. Cheating.

Yo-Yo-Ball.jpg

Gotta look for more......

I had those, or at least something like it, didn't know it was called penny racers.

Anyone have the 90s Super Soakers?

I don't remember having Super Soakers, but I was aware of them. I remember some toy line that had squirt guns with a liquid that shot what looked like ink, but it would change back to clear after a while. I did have some squirt gun that looked like a M-16, was battery powered, and shot full auto squirts. That thing was awesome, until of course it stopped working.

I don't remember having Super Soakers, but I was aware of them. I remember some toy line that had squirt guns with a liquid that shot what looked like ink, but it would change back to clear after a while. I did have some squirt gun that looked like a M-16, was battery powered, and shot full auto squirts. That thing was awesome, until of course it stopped working.
I remember disappearing ink. Never had any though. I remember the summer of 93, I tried to hook my super soaker 100 to the water hose, but even turned on low, I just couldn't get it pumped up fast enough and it blow the piping apart.....oops.....

This thread is great! I remember the penny racers! Forgot all about them. I also had the original super soaker. I left it on my front porch one day and it disappeared.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back