"2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build

I finished the filling of the gaps with the Green Stuff tonight. Tomorrow night I will be able to pretty much finish up the paint on the main portion of the ship.

I'm currently collecting some more reference photos so that I can get the darker gray panels as accurate as possible.

Pics! Pics! we want to see pictures...:lol

Here's one for now. I should have at least a few more later today.

3F49EB24-FAD0-4020-98D6-4B9AA7DA931B_zps9qcyzhec.png

I'm having a bit of trouble being able to tell which panels are different colors of gray. Im going to do the best I can, but I may end up having to take some artistic liberty.

Looking very good for sure. Looking at the level of greeblies on the original Discovery, it would be my death trying to re-create that model. You're doing a very fine job; keep on truckin';)

NICE! :thumbsup shoot I know next to nothing on 3D printing. but I put the front command section In shapeways. over four hundred bucks. holy cow!

I think Its looking awesome!

NICE! :thumbsup shoot I know next to nothing on 3D printing. but I put the front command section In shapeways. over four hundred bucks. holy cow!

I think Its looking awesome!

Sean you should try doing it on Shapeways in one of their more exotic materials. If I remember correctly, I had one at like $8,000. :lol

I started to do the detail work on the control module. I'm trying to decide how I want to go about the slightly different color panels on it. Screenshots from the film are a bit hard to decipher as the colors are all so similar, and models of it show panels that aren't present in the 3D files...ones that are very small.

The finished model from from the guy who made the 3D files only has the four "lines" across the control module painted differently, and I think it looks pretty good like that.

I'll be finishing up those lines tonight while I try to decide on the panels.

So I did some of the detail painting today. I have decided that I probably will NOT be painting the individual panels on the ship. I will sacrifice some accuracy for this, but basically in several spots due to the way the pieces print it's pretty difficult to tell exactly WHERE the panel lines would be. It's the nature of the beast, and part of what I accepted when I set out on this build. That said, I think it will still ultimately look very good.

Here is the collar with the first bit of detail painting done to it. The color differences are very subtle, so it's kind of hard to tell in this photo...but the panels on the very bottom edge are different shades now. I utilized a few images that I found that were good of ONE SIDE of the ship, and just kind of carried the overall design around the entire piece...so again, it might not be entirely screen accurate, but it will be a good representation of what the vessel looked like.

83ffabb0-293a-425f-b3ba-6459ae06b17b_zpsccyatx5r.jpg

Here is the front of the control module. You can see the differences in the shades a bit more easily in this photo. There is the main color of the body, 3:1 white:gray, the slightly darker which is 1:1, and the even darker which is 2:1 gray:white. You can also see that I did the windscreens. I did these 2:1 black to gray.

9874F547-E692-4079-AE5A-8EC9B1C45B9C_zpsu8ppuewc.jpg

Here is another view of the control module. You can see the shades in this one as well.

E4132F74-8AF1-4C35-9A94-BF019D2AA755_zpsfvss1dlk.jpg

So, I have a few things left to do. I'm going to do some more along those darker lines on the control module with even darker gray...just a few very small pieces. I will probably do those at 3:1 gray:white. I also will be doing some lighter panels on the collar...I used the 2:1 gray:white on that, and I'll do a couple of panels with the 1:1 gray:white.

I also have a couple of spots of touchup left on the rear drive unit, but I don't think I'll be doing too much to that in the way of other shades. I've read that there are a few spots on it that are darker, however, I've been able to find absolutely nothing to back that up. The images online don't seem to show anything like that, and the only images I've been able to find that reflect this are actual models, not images from the film. So, I'll be leaving the rear part alone.

I'm hoping that my artistic license doesn't detract from the overall build. I don't think that it does, as the model is still built very much in the spirit of being a likeness to the ship from the film. The limitations of the model being 3D printed have forced my hand in a couple of areas, but again, those were things that I knew were going to be the case going into this entire build.

Looking good. To darken some paneling, without airbrush, I use a Q-Tip and a pencil to shade the area; fast and easy;) Eager for the next update!

I decided to go ahead and do some panels. What I did was spent some time studying photos, screen captures, and other models. Then I shut all of those windows down and went with my own interpretation based on the images.

1E4B8C89-93E5-4425-A68B-2C0DA3CCCA6D_zpseicboedn.jpg

1FA7989A-6398-46E5-9555-AB96099EB126_zpsbxrh1dcs.jpg

There will end up being five different shades of gray on the control module, and the way I did it I feel I can legitimately say that my paint is inspired by the many representations that I have seen of this lovely ship.

Been doing a bit of testing with the black paint and thinner to see if I can get it to work as a wash. After several different "recipes," I have found that it doesn't seem to want to flow over the flat paint very well, so I will most likely be skipping the wash and just leaving the cargo pods as is.

I will need to do a tad bit of touch up on the different colored panels, but I'm holding off until my next day off. We've been really short at work, and that's made it pretty busy...which in turn means I'm getting home and wanting to do nothing but sleep.

I really like the way that the panels look, though. I just freehanded them with a brush, and a couple of spots the lines COULD be a bit straighter, especially up close, but for the most part I think I did a pretty darn good job. When I touch it up, I'm thinking I'll be able to get the lines that aren't the greatest cleaned up pretty well.

I'm thinking that I'll be able to get final assembly done on Tuesday!!

I'm looking forward to getting it finished and cleaning up the space on my workbench so that I can get started on my next project. I've got an AMT model kit and another 3D printed model that I want to put together. I may try to kind of slowly work on both of them at the same time.

For the freehand airbrushing, I always have a piece of cardboard that I can use to hide parts I don't wanna paint. I cut the piece in the shape of an L as to have a 90 degree angle;)

I attached the collar and the dish assembly last night.

I also touched up quite a bit on the control module. Tonight after work I hope to finish up the touchup work, then tomorrow I can mount the control module.

Dish assembly in place, facing the aft of the ship.

B153C7E6-C243-43CB-AE9E-906D4C3C73E7_zpsalnn6k8u.jpg

Control module in place.

E3E4A23C-640A-4D7B-910A-B77BB0369916_zpstqkuwrsr.jpg

View from the front 3/4...

B611ECA4-6C19-430C-916B-8E48470631B9_zpshsyprjuf.png

View from the rear 3/4...

1D1D02A3-4F94-4015-AEA1-4164BF19EE40_zpskr4wu797.png

View showing the overall length...

B91D049D-D1D1-47DC-8037-66FC1C0111F8_zpsdjoey8lq.png

It is pretty much done now. I will probably seal it with some clear when I get a good few days of warmer weather, and I'll be getting started on the display case/stand/box soon. I need to get it hung up, though, because right now I'm extremely nervous that I'm going to manage to damage it.

It's been a very fun build...there are, as I expected, a few parts of it that aren't exactly ideal...but for it being a 3D printed model with no actual finishing done to it other than paint, I think it turned out very well. You can definitely tell what it is, which is the most important part I think.

Quick question guys...would there be any difference using clear from a spray can versus clear through my airbrush? Would one do a better job of sealing than the other?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back